Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Upper Back Pain, suggestions for treatment

codeorama

I have been putting in a ridiculous number of hours playing guitar lately and I am having some upperback pain. It's really bad today, (enough that I'd actually create a thread looking for suggestions).

I know heat/cold will help, however, what type of exercizes can I do to specifically target the upper back? I'm assuming strengenthing the muscles would be the best way to prevent the pain from coming back.

It's not as bad as lowerback pain, where you can't even move, but it's annoying and has kept getting worse as each day goes on.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions. :cheers:

I have had some luck with DNFT chiros. Directed Non-Force Technique. It is a little bit odd, but they basically figure out which muscles, nerves and\or bones are out of place, and then use small, non forceful movements to put them back in place.

Stretches. When you play guitar, you are tensing certain sets of muscles, and not using others. Do full body stretches to loosen all muscles first, and stretch routinely when there are breaks in the music...(if there are not breaks, then create some..;)

Stretches. When you play guitar, you are tensing certain sets of muscles, and not using others. Do full body stretches to loosen all muscles first, and stretch routinely when there are breaks in the music...(if there are not breaks, then create some..;)

I think the problem when I play guitar is ONLY when I practice while sitting down, in which I"m probaby hunching over the guitar. Standing doesn't bother me at all, which I thought would be more of a problem, considering the added weight of the guitar and all, but it's only when sitting.

If my post count was 16,425 , I would have a bad back also.

Oh yeah, stretching for flexiblity. Warm up before you play.

Definatley going to try that tonight. I'm going to try to add some weight training for my back as well while I'm at the gym. As it is, I mostly do cardio stuff, but I've been slowly adding weight training.

Are you practicing concertos, or some other long time cycle music? If not, then stand up and walk around, stretch, etc. every 15 minutes or so.....

I"ve just been practicing alot in preparation for my new bands first gig. I need to start taking more breaks, good point.

Where in your back, i.e between the blades, how high/low, does it go to the neck, either side, etc?

It's right under my right shoulderblade.

If aspirin and duh cutting back on the guitar doesnt aleviate the pain.... there is a pain redistribution method that will work.

I could close your thumb in a cardoor.

You definately won't think about your back

with friends like ND, who needs and X-wife? :laugh:

wearing your guitar (and sitting at the computer) is affecting you posture. try some stretching. If the wife's not too heavy, have her walk on your upper back slowly.

one stretching ex that I do daily: put you arms up like you're under arrest

(you remember how to do that) then place your forearms up against the sides of a door opening, and slowly lean thru the doorway, which stretches your pecs and bring the shoulders back.

with friends like ND, who needs and X-wife? :laugh:

wearing your guitar (and sitting at the computer) is affecting you posture. try some stretching. If the wife's not too heavy, have her walk on your upper back slowly.

one stretching ex that I do daily: put you arms up like you're under arrest

(you remember how to do that) then place your forearms up against the sides of a door opening, and slowly lean thru the doorway, which stretches your pecs and bring the shoulders back.

Great suggestions... Thank you. I appreciate it. :cheers:

I have been putting in a ridiculous number of hours playing guitar lately and I am having some upperback pain. It's really bad today, (enough that I'd actually create a thread looking for suggestions).

I know heat/cold will help, however, what type of exercizes can I do to specifically target the upper back? I'm assuming strengenthing the muscles would be the best way to prevent the pain from coming back.

It's not as bad as lowerback pain, where you can't even move, but it's annoying and has kept getting worse as each day goes on.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions. :cheers:

When was the last time you smoked a doobie? :D

Archived