Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Novak Released

skins5060

Novak's kickoffs are generally horrible - this seems to be often forgotten by many people

Gotta remember Frost is doing kickoffs, so it does not matter which kicker can kickoff farther.

I believe Novaks kicks are much more accurate than Halls, even though they could be kicked a little higher (which can be fixed very easily)

Think of it this way...

Would you rather have released John Hall and have HIM kick for the Cowboys while his salary eats up OUR cap space?

Releasing Novak was a no-brainer. I like his story and he made good kicks and had two good tackles. But, he's not in the right place at the right time.

Listen you guys are sick if you woulda kept Novak. Hall is a vet who has never ever been injuried prior to last year. He has made clutch kicks in cold weather including a 54 yarder to put the Jets into the playoffs. He has made clutch playoff kicks and has a far stronger leg. So what Novak was a clutch college kicker.

What has Novak done to make anyone wanna keep him. I 've rewatched both his blocks and both were helmet high the penatration was'nt the deciding factor on either kick. I rewatched the 54 yarder in denver everybody swore he made and it was short and wide left no where near going thru the uprights.

So Novak made a what 40 yard fg to win a game big whoopy doo he suppose to. Has he consistently made any 47-50 yard fg's??? I would have to see him consistently nail some long fg's that HS kickers don't make before I even entertained cutting Hall.

Listen you guys are sick if you woulda kept Novak. Hall is a vet who has never ever been injuried prior to last year. He has made clutch kicks in cold weather including a 54 yarder to put the Jets into the playoffs. He has made clutch playoff kicks and has a far stronger leg. So what Novak was a clutch college kicker.

What has Novak done to make anyone wanna keep him. I 've rewatched both his blocks and both were helmet high the penatration was'nt the deciding factor on either kick. I rewatched the 54 yarder in denver everybody swore he made and it was short and wide left no where near going thru the uprights.

So Novak made a what 40 yard fg to win a game big whoopy doo he suppose to. Has he consistently made any 47-50 yard fg's??? I would have to see him consistently nail some long fg's that HS kickers don't make before I even entertained cutting Hall.

You're arguing against shadows.

No one is saying they don't love Hall. The point at issue is whether he can stay healthy. You say, prior to last year, he hasn't had an injury problem. I say, since last year, he's had nothing BUT injury problems.

Again, all the talent in the world is useless if you can't stay on the active roster. Thats indisputable. I've seen a lot more of Novak recently than anyone here, and I'm telling you, he's got 'it'. And, to be fair, how many 50+ yarders has he been asked to kick since Hall went out? I've seen him hit 60+ yarders, so I don't think his range is really in question.

The crux of the argument though is whether we can depend on Hall's durability. I don't think so. Others do. We'll see. I hope you are correct.

Injuries are lurking around the corner for EVERY player at all times. You can think up any sort of "coulda's". We could cut Hall today and Novak could slip on the field Sunday Night and pull or tear something. This is the irrational fear I'm talking about.

The problem with this particular argument is that no other player on the skins team has had the problems with injuries that Hall has had in recent years, he was supposed to be fully healthy comming into the season, and then he hurts himself in the first game. Hall is getting older, and Novak is as good as any young kicker out there, the best choice in the long run is Novak, but Gibbs trusts a veteran more than he does a rookie so that is why we see Novak released.

I have a feeling that someone will wind up with him, if not then we will see him in camp next year competing for the job for real this time vs Hall. Gibbs believes strongly that you shouldn't lose your job to an injury, which is why he wanted make sure that Hall was completely healthy before he released Novak, cause he knew that Novak would be picked up by somebody and that Hall needed to be able to finish the year out

Here's the quote from the website.

"With John Hall fully recovered from a quad injury and punter Derrick Frost available for kickoffs, the team no longer needed two kickers on the roster."

:doh: I was asking you about THIS part of your post:

I believe Novaks kicks are much more accurate than Halls, even though they could be kicked a little higher (which can be fixed very easily)

I really hate we had to do this. Hall will be hurt in two weeks and Novak will be playing for Dallas.

Agreed. At some point Hall will be hurt and we will be kicking ourselves. I would give anything to have one of those career kickers on our team. Nick could have been the one. He will come back to haunt us. THAT IS A GUARANTEE.

Joe?! Major mistake.

"With John Hall fully recovered from a quad injury and punter Derrick Frost available for kickoffs, the team no longer needed two kickers on the roster."

I think this is the big quote here. Looks like they are going to limit the wear and tear on Hall this way.

No doubt, this was probably a tough decision. But, at the end of the day, you go with the guy who has the rep over the young guy. Novak could have a great future. He could also be a guy who never puts it together. I'd like to see him stay, and he may if he gets through waivers, but Hall certainly has the record to back it up. It also seems like when he gets hurt, it is on kickoffs, so having a guy who can take that load off may help get Hall through this season. I'm sure they will reevaluate in the offseason, but this may be the best move at this time.

Personally, I think we should talk more about Johnson and McCune being moved up to the active roster...

Jason

:doh: Guess I shouldn't expect much more from you than non-factual, hatefull posts, but I'll correct you anyway. Wycheck was traded to the Oilers, and Trent Green was a free-agent and left with Mike Martz to the Rams. This only happened because of the owner-ship changeover, and we could not make any offers to free-agents. :doh: Get your facts straight at least if you are going to hate on the Skins, man! :rolleyes:

Jesus...you people are acting like we cut Mark friggin' Moseley or Chip Lohmiller. He was an average kicker, and one who had a propensity to kick too low and have it blocked. We're extremely lucky he didn't COST us the game in Seattle instead of winning it for us. Yes, he had a memorable tackle in the Dallas game; but Hall is pretty hard-nosed himself and has been known to bust heads.

Tarhog -- every kicker in the NFL can nail FGs from 55-60 yards in practice; that is why they are kickers in the NFL. :)

Frank Wycheck was CUT. And who cares is Trent Green was cut, traded, or if Frank Wycheck ran away from home at age 13.......

The Redskins let those guys go...period. Oh..and by the way thanks for the insult. Its so typical from those homers who are incapable of accepting facts and instead, live in a fantasy world where the Redskins are always the best team all the time every year every place. Get a life.

jrockerster77...I have had a change of heart. Yes I do think it matters how Frank Wycheck was acquired by Houston. He was acquired off of WAIVERS....1995...as I stated originally...because he was CUT. Did you get that this time....CUT. Not traded as you stated in attempting to correct my FACTS.

Let it be known that jrockster77 is an IMMATURE hater who comes in here and calls ME a hater....corrects my FACTS with his LIES....and then attempts to lead others to believe that I am non factual. I had the facts RIGHT and you just had to waste my tiime with this BULLCRAP by attacking me with lies.

Buddy....you better get your facts straight before you call someone out or else they might make you look like an idiot.

I think you may be right. He won't last too long on the market.

Does anyone else think that Royal's roster spot is in jeopardy? One more awful game like last week could be his last.

I've considered Royal a player on the bubble the last two years.. Seems like he does just enough to not get cut. I don't hate the guy. He blocks ok. Which to Joe Gibbs can be more important then catching a 20 yard pass

Archived