Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Novak Released

skins5060

sorry, forgot to post the article:

The Redskins released Nick Novak on Saturday, ending the kicker's seven-week run with the team. With John Hall fully recovered from a quad injury and punter Derrick Frost available for kickoffs, the team no longer needed two kickers on the roster.

Also on Saturday, the Redskins elevated a pair of practice squad players--tight end Robert Johnson and linebacker Robert McCune--to the 53-man roster released cornerback Dimitri Patterson.

Johnson is a 6-6, 278-pound tight end out of Auburn who impressed coaches in training camp and preseason. He has spent the first eight weeks of the NFL season on the Redskins' practice squad.

Johnson played briefly in the NFL with the Chicago Bears during the 2003 season.

McCune was the Redskins' fifth-round draft choice last April. If active on Sunday, the 6-1, 245-pound linebacker out of Louisville would make his NFL debut. Like Johnson, McCune has spent the first eight weeks of the NFL season on the practice squad.

Nick Novak watches his game-winning kick against Seattle sail through the uprights. (Eric Espada Photo)

Novak gained valuable experience over the last few weeks as an NFL kicker. He took over for John Hall, who had sustained a quad injury after kicking three field goals in the Redskins' Week 1 over the Chicago Bears.

Novak joined the Redskins just prior to the Week 2 game at Dallas. Talk about pressure. The rookie out of Maryland was making his NFL debut on Monday Night Football. He wasn't needed to kick any field goals at Texas Stadium, but he did kick two extra points, including the extra point that proved to be a game-winner in the Redskins' stunning 14-13 comeback win.

It has been forgotten that Novak logged a key tackle on a kick return after the Redskins had taken a lead late in the game. As the line of defense, Novak knocked kick return man Tyson Thomson out of bounds, preventing a Cowboys touchdown.

A week later, the magic continued.

Against the Seattle Seahawks at FedExField, Novak was 2-of-3 on field goals and nailed a 39-yard field goal in overtime to seal a 20-17 win for the Redskins. After the kick, in front of a roaring FedExField crowd, Novak celebrated by running toward the Redskins' sideline and leaping into the arms of guard Derrick Dockery. That has been one of the indelible images of the Redskins' season so far.

For the season, Novak played in five games and was 5-of-7 on field goals, with a long of 40, and 15-of-15 on PATs.

The Redskins remained committed to Hall, a 9-year veteran who is in his third year in Washington. Hall was ready to return last Sunday against the New York Giants, but it turned out he was not needed as the Redskins lost 36-0.

Patterson, a rookie out of Tuskegee, has spent time on the Redskins' active roster and practice squad this season. It's possible that he will be resigned to the practice squad following Sunday's game.

I don't like it either. Hall, when healthy, is a helluva kicker. However, he's not young, and I'll predict now he won't last the rest of the regular season.

I'd rather see them release Hall and take our chances with Novak.

Short-sighted move imho.

Pretty silly to project Novak as a Hall of Famer and criticize the Skins for this ... they really had no choice. No way Hall's contract OR skills justify letting him go, even for a nice guy who's shown some accuracy from in close but only average leg-strength. I wish Novak well, but the move to me was a no-brainer.

TE Johnson, by the way, is a guy I had a chance to watch in training camp. He is one BIG and agile guy, who showed pretty good hands and instincts. Not sure obviously if he's ready between the ears or capable of translating his practice work to the game field, but I'm intrigued as hell by the guy.

Pretty silly to project Novak as a Hall of Famer and criticize the Skins for this ... they really had no choice. No way Hall's contract OR skills justify letting him go, even for a nice guy who's shown some accuracy from in close but only average leg-strength. I wish Novak well, but the move to me was a no-brainer.

TE Johnson, by the way, is a guy I had a chance to watch in training camp. He is one BIG and agile guy, who showed pretty good hands and instincts. Not sure obviously if he's ready between the ears or capable of translating his practice work to the game field, but I'm intrigued as hell by the guy.

Mark - I saw Novak nailing 55 and 60 yarders last week.

And all the leg-strength and credentials in the world don't mean jack if you have a chronic injury problem and can't stay on the field.

A steady above-average kicker trumps a talented injury prone one every time. Do you want to be relying on some journeyman who's dubious beyond 40 yards if we need to win the last 3 games of the season?

I don't.

Now there may be contract reasons why they made this decision, but I don't think it makes a lot of sense if you're building for the next 3-4 years.

Biggest mistake the Redskin have made this year. This kid has a loooonnnngggggg future ahead of him, he makes all the kicks, he has ice water in his veins and he would be cheaper than Hall. Not to mention Hall keeps getting hurt...and Novac isn't.

MISTAKE with capitol letters. This will rank up there with cutting Frank Wycheck and cutting Trent Green. Finally found a dependable field goal kicker and the Redskins cut him.

This is the kind of move teams make when they want to continue making the playoffs at the rate of once every 12 years.

I agree his kickoffs aren't impressing. Enjoy Hall's while you can - because he won't last more than a game or two in all likelihood. Then we'll be grading some NFL castoffs kickoffs on Wed-Thursday of game week.

The way this team plays, you'd better have a kicker in your stable who can hit a 50 yd field goal consistently.

Pretty funny, John. I was writing my post while you were writing yours, which I'd not seen---mine wasn't directed at your comments. :)

That said ... my guess is the team recognized the same realities you do, but clearly felt that the totality of circumstance dictated NOT eating Hall's contract for Novak. I just happen to agree with 'em. Mostly because Novak looks to me like so many other young kickers that come into the league---generally solid, but nothing particularly compelling.

I may be totally wrong, but there's no way we'll know that for at least a couple of years. Not sure I can support either projecting him as a sure thing, or criticize the team for not making the same leap.

Archived