Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Oh, Mr. Benoit, your analysis is outstanding... *cough*

KDawg

Everything posted in bold below is an excerpt from the fine writing of Andy Benoit from this years TOUCHDOWN 2005 pre-season preview...

While Andy is an extremely talented writer, I question his football knowledge...

"Predicted: 4th"

Ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here, the season is still young (But it's still not going to happen)

"The team that plays in the nation's capital made a slew of horrendous legislative decisions, beginning with trading unhappy receiver Laveranues Coles. In return, Washington received an inferior wideout from New York in Santana Moss,"

Oh really? Inferior receiver, you say?

35 receptions, 385 yards, 11.0 avg, 1 TD

OR

42 receptions, 777 yards, 18.5 avg., 5 TDs

You decide which one you want, there, braintrust.

“Write it Down:

Clinton Portis is an outstanding talent, but his success in Washington will be limited by his inability to fully utilize his skills in this offense. Furthermore, Portis still might put up great numbers, be he isn’t a leader or the type of player who will win football games in the long haul”

Oh really? Than why was he in the weight room busting his ass this offseason?

Oh,

“He [Portis] made no bones about spending his offseason having fun and not working, and he has even preached an anti-workout message to his younger constituents on the team.”

Constituents… Good word…

Too bad the rest of that sentence is misinformed, incorrect, and generally awful.

“Chris Samuels is close to being an All-World player.”

I like Chris, sure… But All-World?

“First off, discard all rumors about veteran Mark Brunell re-earning his starting job, the Skins would be fools to go that route.”

Fools we are, then.

“Marcus Washington does not have the raw talent to be considered a superstar (he makes a lot of his tackles too far downfield), but he is the type of player who works extremely well as part of a group.”

Really? Mmmhmmmm.

Share more of your infinite wisdom!!

“Matt Bowen is penciled in at the strong safety position, but he is coming off a knee injury and has limited abilities as it is. He could be pushed for playing time by Ryan Clark, who is really not much of an option himself.”

Well, Mr. Benoit, Clark may not be “All-World” or anything, but he does alright out there for not being “much of an option”.

“Weaknesses:

Hurricanes

The former Miami Hurricane players are killing this team: Santana Moss caused a brief stir when he demanded a new contract, and Clinton Portis and Sean Taylor spent a majority of their offseason having fun on South Beach, rather than working to improve as professional athletes.”

:doh:

“Report Card:

QB: C

RB: B+

WR/TE: B

Offensive Line: B

Defensive Line: C

LB: B

DB: B

Coaching: C+

Special Teams: B-

Depth: C-

Intangibles: D”

Offensive Line… A B!? With All-World Tackle Chris Samuels!? Say it ain’t so, Mr. Benoit!! Say it ain’t so!

Coaching, a C+… Joe Gibbs, Gregg Williams, Buges, etc. warrant us a C+? Heh.

Depth, C-. Excuse me, here in Washington, all of our backups play… a lot. I’d argue we have quite the amount of serviceable depth on this team…

Intangibles, a D? Ok. How many times did you toke while writing this obviously superior “analysis”?

And the best line of the entire preview?

“It is more likely for Ted Kennedy to be invited over to eat dinner and watch a ball game at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue than it is that this team will rebound to contend for the division title in ’05.”

:doh: :doh:

We were also his biggest losers in the offseason...

The biggest winners?

The Minnesota Vikings.

EDIT: Forgot to mention... For every team he lists their projected starting lineup... If the player is a Pro Bowler he puts a *, if the player is a vet. acquisiton he puts a cross, if the player is a rookie he putsa cross with two lines through it...

Guess what's next to Marcus Washington's name? That's right... NOTHING.

his predictions aren't all that awful, considering how poorly we played in our first 2 games. At that point in the year when he wrote that article it could be argued that yes we were that bad.

The predictions are based on an entire season... The predictions were also written prior to our first two games of the season. His predictions so far, are dead wrong.

“He [Portis] made no bones about spending his offseason having fun and not working, and he has even preached an anti-workout message to his younger constituents on the team.”

He totally missed what Portis ment by that statement. He was saying that he didn't think being at minicamp was that important. He wasn't encouraging other players not to work out. :doh:

Jason

his predictions aren't all that awful, considering how poorly we played in our first 2 games. At that point in the year when he wrote that article it could be argued that yes we were that bad.

...and have become worse in the last 10 days. I'm all for punishing silly sportswriters but I usually wait until it's all said and done.

...and have become worse in the last 10 days. I'm all for punishing silly sportswriters but I usually wait until it's all said and done.

Good for you.

Some of the things he said he would have been blasted for, even in the preseason... a C+ in coaching? Marcus Washington not having raw talent? Pure off-base remarks regarding Portis?

Come on.

KDawg --- Good job bringing back analysis...I think all so called "experts" should have their analyses analyzed like this after every season to see if they are truly experts or just the talking heads we know them to be.

At least there will be proof. And these mediots could be held accountable like they always say the players should be.

holy crap another football expert picked us to be bad. Isn't that all they did before the season started? Its that what they are doing now that we just got blown out. I think the fans make to big a deal outta crap like this. Lets let the season play out and then grade this team.

holy crap another football expert picked us to be bad. Isn't that all they did before the season started? Its that what they are doing now that we just got blown out. I think the fans make to big a deal outta crap like this. Lets let the season play out and then grade this team.

I think you missed the point. I shouldn't have even put down what place he projected us to finish...

The point is, he said things that were completely and utterly incorrect, as well as other points that were completely off base.

This kid (Andy Benoit) lives in Boise, Idaho. Not kidding, he lived 2 houses down from me (we recently moved to Seattle) and he cut our lawn for the last 2 years. He is like 16 or 17 years old and has created quite a stir with his analyses regarding the NFL. Nice kid. Not the greatest insights, but, coming from a kid in suburban Boise, Idaho, still pretty impressive.

Archived