Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Exoectations at the start of the season

Sherlock Holmes

Hi guys,

Scanning through the board i was shocked to hear some poeple saying that Gibbs might not be safe if we dont reach the playoffs and others who are dissapointed at our 4-3 record. At the start of the season did you really think playoffs were the minimum requirement!? Personally i believe they were always a goal that we had to strive for but after last year it was unrealistic to believe that we would get there.

At the start of the season I thought we would go 12-4 still do.

We are 4-3 alot of football left. This team is not the only team struggling or hurting

from injuries. It is this part of the season where the pack starts to separate and the good teams come to the top, and Washington will be one of them. They will struggle, but they'll make it.

Some people haven't a clue, when you bring in the coach you give him time to operate, patience and reality sometimes get lost in the cool aid consumption.we are on track and headed in the right direction, we just need some more players and time. :eaglesuck

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112785&highlight=Loaded+Bear

So does all this feel-good philosophizing mean, flat-out, that the 2005 Redskins are officially “back” and primed to storm to the playoffs? No. They’re still at least one year away from having that presumption placed upon them. They haven’t earned it yet. But this team, this year, does have a very good chance to be playing meaningful games into January. A long-overdue season of even relative health, plus simply steady play at quarterback, and this team will be in the playoff mix come crunch time. Believe it.

Given where we’ve been, can anyone with clear conscience ask for more?

Year One was about Joe Gibbs getting back in the swing, figuring out what he had, and identifying what he needed. Check. Year Two, beginning Sunday, will be about taking that experience, adjusting, tinkering, applying and fine-tuning lessons learned both on and off the field, and finishing strong—maybe to the tune of a playoff spot if things break right. Year Three will be about harnessing that momentum and making a run at the big prize.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold

as a diehard fan I think I voted 10-6, felt like with a couple of breaks and a healthy season as good as 12-4.....but realistically I figured we'd have a winning season and potentially on the outside looking in at 9-7.

Gibbs will be around for a couple more years, there will be patience shown with him, and frankly he is already showing that he knows how to turn this team into a winning franchise again, the problem being that the Eagles are still a good team, and there are 2 other new(ish) head coaches in this division that know how to turn their teams into winners too, so now we wind up in the possition that we are in, trying to build a winning team in the toughest division in football. Our playoff chances would be better if we had any one team in our division traded with another division. But Snyder seems to have learned his lesson about constant change at coaches, he tried to keep spurier around in order to give him time to develop the kind of team he wanted... however bad of a decision at coach spurier was, Snyder was willing to stick with him in order to see if he would pan out given time, the problem was that(to the delight of every Skins fan everywhere) Spurier quit. Insert Gibbs, a man whom Snyder has infinite respect for, at a time after Snyder learned that Stability in a coaching staff was one of the main keys to success. There is no way that Snyder will fire Gibbs. If by some chance Gibbs can't make the playoffs in the 5 years aloted in his contract then Gibbs will not re-sign, and personally if it hasn't happened by the end of the 4th year, I think Gibbs will retire again, leaving Williams as the head coach.

Honestly, I did not know going in to this season what to expect really I'm still not sure but I do believe this could possibly be a playoff team I think they turn it around in the second half and quiet all the haters . But it has to start this week banged up or no banged up Eagles we have to beat them but of course you going to get the nay sayers will they beat an injury-riddled Eagles team :rolleyes: .Really doesn't matter they have dominated the series of last seven straight wins it has to stop starting sunday..

i had originally thought about 5-11 or 6-10 b/c i thought the offense wouldn't improve. fortunately it has improved and i hope for 7-9 to 8-8. the way gibbs runs teams, we have to play near perfect to beat teams. i think he builds the team on winning physical matchups rather than outscheming opponents. we need a few more off seasons (2-3) before we get to a point where we are a top team.

At the beginning of the season I thought the Redskins would go 9-7. After the preseason games, I thought the Redskins were looking at 6-10 at best! After seeing Brunell and Moss the first six games, I was thinking 12-4 or 11-5 and an East title and possibly the Super Bowl. After the Giants game, I am thinking 9-7 or 8-8 again. Bottom line, who knows where the Redskins will be in January? Even if they don't make the playoffs, I guarantee that the Redskins are playing meaningful games in December, which would be ausome to all of Redskins Nation! Hail to the Redskins!

Archived