Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Chat with Gary Horton

bubba9497

Chat with Gary Horton

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=9624

Gary Horton: (12:04 PM ET ) Have we ever seen a crazier weekend in the NFL than last week? There just doesn't appear to be anything you can count on anymore on a week-to-week basis. Maybe that is a good thing?! It certainly peaks our interest! Who would have thought in August we would be saying the only dominant team was the Colts? And a big reason is because of their defense! What a strange year and we're only halfway home!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaron (D.C.): Hey Gary, scout the Redskins/Giants game for us. I can't imagine the Skins losing to a Giants team that boasts the 31st ranked defense in the league. Especially with the defense and offense clicking.

Gary Horton: (12:07 PM ET ) I think it's going to be an interesting contrast of the ability of Clinton Portis to run against a defense he should have success against vs. the emergence of Eli Manning and that balanced pass offense. As I watch film, I'm seeing a different Eli each week in terms of his ability to read the field and find secondary receivers. He also has Tiki Barber to go along with it. I think both teams will be able to move the ball but you have to give the defensive nod to the Redskins. But I think Manning is becoming more and more like his brother and can put together enough drives to win a game. I think he will be the difference-maker in this game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason (PA): On that opening note, when do the colts suffer their first loss?

Gary Horton: (12:10 PM ET ) I would say if they get by the Patriots after the bye week, they could have a challenge two weeks later playing at Cincinnati. Although after last week, we're not sure who the real Bengals are and the following week they would have Pittsburgh at home which would be very tough. However, I think this is a Colts team that is more concerned about homefield advantage than they are about an undefeated record .. although the two would obviously go hand in hand. Their obsession since the beginning has been to play at home in the month of January. I just don't see this team having a slump of any kind.

Chris (Lakewood, OH): The Browns are 2 point underdogs to the Texans. Is Cleveland really that bad?

Gary Horton: (12:12 PM ET ) I don't see how anybody could be two point underdogs to the Texans. But I think people still think Carr has the potential to put up numbers and they also like Domanik Davis. So for some odd reason, Houston is getting a little respect. It could be that you have to win eventually and this is probably the best week to do it.

Bob: Brunswick, OH: Gary, Chris Mortenson made the following comment in his chat. ?Palmer is easily the most physically gifted of the three (Palmer, Roethlisberger and Manning).? Easily the must gifted? I?m scratching my head over that one. We?re talking about a 6?5? 250 pound guy in Big Ben with more athletic ability than Palmer or Manning. I don?t see where Palmer?s arm is that much (if at all) stronger. It just seems like Ben is always cast into the ?system? or ?great fit? category. The Steelers win because of Ben, not despite of him. What are your thoughts?

Gary Horton: (12:15 PM ET ) I would agree with Mort in the fact that while Big Ben is a physical specimen, he does not have the mobility of Palmer. I don't think he is quite as good an athlete either. Palmer had decent movement already but he has really worked on his lateral quickness. He is noticeably improved in moving around the pocket and avoiding the rush and making him throw on the move. All three have excellent arm strength and Roethlisberger is the most physical of the three. But right now, I think Palmer has better pocket presence but I think Manning might have the best upside.

KG (Seattle): Gary, you guys at Sports Inc. were the only ones who believed the Seahawks were for real at the beginning of the season -- right now, is there really any team better in the NFC (the Seahawks beat the Falcons in week 2)?

Gary Horton: (12:18 PM ET ) I really like the direction the Seahawks are going in right now. While they didn't exactly dominate Dallas and were probably lucky to win that game, those were games that Seattle traditionally loses. Defensively they are middle of the pack but offensively I love their balance. They are an intelligent offense. Despite everything you like about them, it's hard to get a handle on the Seahawks. You just don't seem to know from week to week if they are really an elite team or just a good team that teases. They still confuse me a bit.

Joe (Huntsville,AL): Who do you think starts the rest of the year for the Cards, McCown or Warner?

Gary Horton: (12:20 PM ET ) I think you will never know. I think Coach Green will use intimidation and fear to motivate his players. I think he will go with whoever he feels may have had the best week of practice. He's not one of those coaches who believes you have to pick and then stay with him.

Mario (San Diego):: Why do you think the Chargers are haveing a hard time closeing games?

Gary Horton: (12:22 PM ET ) I wish I had the answer to that question. For some reason, I think they have just been very unlucky. But I don't have any facts to base that on. I just know they are a real good football team that could be close to being undefeated and yet they are fighting for their lives. I know from talking to their coaches, they are trying to figure out the same thing.

Ryan (Atl): Gary, with TO and Moss not really dominating like they have been in years past, is Chad Johnson now the best WR in the NFL?

Gary Horton: (12:24 PM ET ) He's certainly up there. He does everything you want a receiver to do. But I still think it is hard to bypass Marvin Harrison who for some reason seems to stay under the radar because he doesn't talk a lot. But if you can find a better receiver week in and week out, I'd like to know who it is.

Jared NJ): Gary, What's wrong with Jamal Lewis? I know he's not fully healthy, but this guy looks terrible back there! Will they bench him for Chester?

Gary Horton: (12:26 PM ET ) I think a big part of the problem with Lewis is his OL. This is not the same productive group as he has had in the past. The holes are slow to open and Lewis looks to be a step slower to hit the hole. So that's not a good combination. I think we are close to seeing lots of changes in Baltimore. Lewis could be a guy who takes so much punishment that his body just says ''enough''. When that happens, these types of backs fall apart quickly.

nate (cincy): Do the stadium big screens play a part in helping coaches decide wether or not to challenge a play? I ask in reference to the overturned chad johnson TD in cincy on sunday.

Gary Horton: (12:28 PM ET ) I think there is no question coaches up in the box look at the replays and advice the coaches on the field whether to challenge or not. I don't think the coaches on the field have a handle on things nearly as much. But I do believe they rely on what the guys in the booth tell them.

DJ (PGH): Gary, Was Joey Harrington really totally to blame for Detroit's offensive woes? Garcia puts up 13 points with the help of 3 INTs and is a savior. I feel like Harrington's teammates quit on him and are playing harder for Garcia...would you agree?

Gary Horton: (12:30 PM ET ) I don't know if we know after one week whether Garcia is an upgrade or not. But I think the coaching staff felt Harrington just wasn't making the progress. Granted, his OL didn't play well and he has a beat-up run game and passing game. But for a guy with his experience and number of snaps behind center, he still makes poor decisions and forces the ball. I think the staff thinks with Garcia, the QB position at least won't lose the game.

Jason (Lansing, MI): Following up on the OL comment, do GMs take into account the type of OL a FA previously played with? It seems that skilled players need a strong OL to produce, but get downgraded when a bad OL limits their effectiveness.

Gary Horton: (12:32 PM ET ) You obviously look at his individual skills first but you have to look at what is going to be in his surroundings. The style and quality of the OL plays a big part. You can't just bring in a RB and plug him in and assume he will be great. Tiki Barber is a really good back but he won't fit every system. You have to know what you have and adjust your system to fit.

Andre (Oakland): Gary, is it remotely possible that iff Norv Tuner continues to struggle that Al Davis could possibly convince Rich Gannon to coach this team?

Gary Horton: (12:35 PM ET ) I don't think there is a chance in the world that happens. They want to get him involved on some level, but not as head coach. This is a tough year for the Raiders and a tough year for Turner. But I don't see them making a change before the end of the season. I think Al Davis is really tired of changing coaches. I honestly don't know what they will do. They could stick with Turner longer than you think just because they don't want to start over.

Darrell (El Paso Tx.): Gary, do you think the Vikings will turn it around after that big win on Sunday?

Gary Horton: (12:36 PM ET ) I think it was a 3-hour reprieve from a horrible time for the organization. But I think it doesn't make any difference if they don't win this week. For the Vikings to really be viable, they need a string of wins and they have to play with more consistency. As dramatic as the GB win was, remember the Packers are devastated at WR, were without Ahman Green late, and they are a one-win team who has only one weapon in Brett Favre.

John (Baltimore, MD): Gary, have you ever seen a team lose as many key players for the year in such a short amount of time as the Jets have? My count has 6 players done for the year, and we're only heading into week 8 (Mawae, Pennington, For all intensive purposes Fiedler & Blaylock, Barton, and Daryl McGlover (probably their best special teams player).

Gary Horton: (12:40 PM ET ) Well, as we all know, injuries are part of the game. The one injury they haven't overcome is at QB. The loss of Mawae will certainly hurt though. Almost every SB champion avoided major injuries. With the salary structure the way it is, no team has the depth to get through a season with injuries to key starters. The Jets had a plan with Jay Fiedler as a solid No. 2 backup who could step in and play. But what you can't count on is losing BOTH your QBs. That pretty much ended their season.

bob (burlingame): any light at the end of the tunnel for the 49's?

Gary Horton: (12:41 PM ET ) Yeah, but it's a train coming the opposite way. I certainly think it's going to be a long process. I worry about Alex Smith and get absolutely beat up mentally and physically even though he is supposedly learning. The organization has obviously got to get better players to surround him. Defensively, I think they can fix their problems and become competitive, but they need real help on offense.

Gary Horton: (12:43 PM ET ) This is an interesting week coming up. We have some critical games in and out of divisions. As we see now, there are no super teams so I'm looking for a team that is not on our radar to emerge in the second half and surprise us. I have no idea who that team is. But that is what makes this season more fun than any in recent memory. We honestly don't know at 1 ET on Sunday who will win. Thanks for the questions! Talk to you next week!

To many media people are hanging on eli's jock..its really getting old.

Very true...a couple of weeks ago it was Drew Bledsoe & the Cowboys are the team beat..this week it is Eli & the Giants.

I give him credit he is progreesing just like Peyton in his second year. Eli is dangerous...however he hasn't seen a defense like the one we got.

Gosh, I can't believe how many people are all over Eli's jock. He's had a few good games and I personally think he will be a force to reconed with. However, you would think we are playing against Peyton the way these guys are saying he will be the deciding factor. I'm not sold on him being a top QB yet unless he's some sort of phenom. I wish the mediots would get a grip.

Gosh, I can't believe how many people are all over Eli's jock. He's had a few good games and I personally think he will be a force to reconed with. However, you would think we are playing against Peyton the way these guys are saying he will be the deciding factor. I'm not sold on him being a top QB yet unless he's some sort of phenom. I wish the mediots would get a grip.

Doesn't matter really.. Payton would probably be the first to tell you he'd have trouble moving the ball against our D..

We're that damned good.

Chat with Gary Horton

Ryan (Atl): Gary, with TO and Moss not really dominating like they have been in years past, is Chad Johnson now the best WR in the NFL?

Gary Horton: (12:24 PM ET ) He's certainly up there. He does everything you want a receiver to do. But I still think it is hard to bypass Marvin Harrison who for some reason seems to stay under the radar because he doesn't talk a lot. But if you can find a better receiver week in and week out, I'd like to know who it is.

Uh, mayBe SANTANA MOSS!

I ask you this Gary Horton, what QB has been the difference maker against us in the last two seasons???? Let me answer it for you. Favre, last season. That is it. No other QB has been the player that beat us since GW got here. It won't start this week with Eli. That is a canned response by a canned ham of a mediot. Next

anybody see his TD throw against the bronco's?

he bailed, and was throwing it away, Toomer just made a great catch

now he's the Next Elway :laugh:

That is just the kind of asinine homerism we come to expect from you Bubba. Bailed and he was throwing it away huh. I know you are a blatant homer bro, someone who passes compliments to the opposition like Lenny the Hut passes up on Tiramisu but how about you refrain from making the responsible Redskins fans on this site look foolish with your commentary and give some props to the kid for making a hell of throw at a amazingly clutch time in the game. Eli is a kid and we should rattle his cage pretty good Sunday but he did make a great play getting the ball to Toomer last week.

Oh and Bubba... Smokey is a mutt.

All I have to say is that Sunday will show how much progress Eli has made. I have no doubt he will be better than he was last year, but that doesn't mean he's good enough to beat us. Considering he hasn't really faced anyone like us this year, we really don't know, and neither do the "experts".

Jason

Eli looked OK vs Dallas, let's see how he does against US and the Eagles.

He is looking like a Manning, but his style is much different (although both have similar poise in the pocket).

Let's not forget Eli's talent around him.

The O-line is much improved from last year.

He has Tiki Barber, Shockey, Buress, Toomer and Carter......

Sure, he's living up to his draft status....but lets not forget about the men who play with him.

That is just the kind of asinine homerism we come to expect from you Bubba. Bailed and he was throwing it away huh. I know you are a blatant homer bro, someone who passes compliments to the opposition like Lenny the Hut passes up on Tiramisu but how about you refrain from making the responsible Redskins fans on this site look foolish with your commentary and give some props to the kid for making a hell of throw at a amazingly clutch time in the game. Eli is a kid and we should rattle his cage pretty good Sunday but he did make a great play getting the ball to Toomer last week.

Oh and Bubba... Smokey is a mutt.

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

bite me, :moon:

watch the throw.... he was bailing to avoid the hit, and threw it high.. ie to throw it away. It is rumored that Eli told John Lynch he was throwing it away after the game, and got lucky Toomer made a great catch.

save the bull ****. I am an unashamed Redskins fan... but I do give credit were it is do (did you see Toomer made a GREAT CATCH???)... but I also call it like it is. Where did I say that Eli wasn't doing good? I pointed out ONE PLAY :rolleyes: , and the fact that the media is going nuts over it.

get over yourself.... and layoff smokey :mad:

PS I might add I was also referring to the fact Brunell made not one, but two perferct throws to beat Dallas, yet he was "lucky"... even at best Eli made a difficult throw that Toomer made a great catch on... and Eli is a suprer star, and no one says crap about Toomers catch..... and FYI.. I like Eli

anybody see his TD throw against the bronco's?

he bailed, and was throwing it away, Toomer just made a great catch

now he's the Next Elway :laugh:

Yeah, I saw that play too

Eli was just trying NOT to die on that play

Chat with Gary Horton

I think both teams will be able to move the ball but you have to give the defensive nod to the Redskins.

"Give the nod" to the Skins D?! Last time I checked, our defense was 4th in the league and theirs was 31st! Yeah, slight advantage there.

Oh wait, better get back to talking about Eli!

Archived