Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Cooley's Production

footballhenry

Now I think we all agree that there are enough Ramsey v. Brunell threads floating around, but I wanted to try to offer something a bit different via focusing on one of our premiere players, imho. Chris Cooley has 'serious' potential to be a staple in our offense, especially redzone offense. However, it seems that there is a lack of chemistry between Brunell and Cooley, whereas we all know Ramsey has major chemistry with Cooley. Maybe I am mistaken but do you think Brunell will hamper Cooley's production any? Of course a good QB should find the open receiver, and if Cooley is open then he should get the ball but chemistry can go a long way on the field. It just seems to be Brunell lacks chemistry with Cooley (all last season and so far this season). Hopefully the bye week has allowed things to gel better but I just dont see Cooley integrated or used as much when Brunell is QB. I wonder why that is, whereas when Ramsey is QB I see Cooley make play after play in games and in crucial situations.

I think going in to this season teams were very conscious of Cooley's presence as he was basically our only target last year. They've been covering him pretty well, although he has had a couple nice plays and a touchdown that was called back. I think now teams will have to give a lot more attention to Moss which should open up some opportunities for Cooley. Brunell will find him, don't worry. Besides I'd rather have great chemistry between Brunell and Moss than Ramsey and Cooley....for obvious reasons (see:Dallas)

From what I saw in the first two games is Gibbs has kept Cooley in to block more. Chicago and Dallas have very aggressive defenses so the Skins were trying to get the extra protection. Part of the reason Brunell didn't get him the ball much last year was the fact that Cooley wasn't playing as much earlier in the season as he was still learning the offense. I feel in the upcoming weeks we'll hear his name mentioned quite a bit more.

Now I think we all agree that there are enough Ramsey v. Brunell threads floating around, but I wanted to try to offer something a bit different via focusing on one of our premiere players, imho. Chris Cooley has 'serious' potential to be a staple in our offense, especially redzone offense. However, it seems that there is a lack of chemistry between Brunell and Cooley, whereas we all know Ramsey has major chemistry with Cooley. Maybe I am mistaken but do you think Brunell will hamper Cooley's production any? Of course a good QB should find the open receiver, and if Cooley is open then he should get the ball but chemistry can go a long way on the field. It just seems to be Brunell lacks chemistry with Cooley (all last season and so far this season). Hopefully the bye week has allowed things to gel better but I just dont see Cooley integrated or used as much when Brunell is QB. I wonder why that is, whereas when Ramsey is QB I see Cooley make play after play in games and in crucial situations.

Wrong...wrong...wrong:

Cooley got some good production with Brunell in 2004 and in the preseason.

Cooley got the only TD vs the Ravens (Brunell at the helm) last year as one example.

Cooley should have scored a TD vs the Bears in week 1, but Cooley and Brunell under ran the route/threw too short and Cooley got tackled at the 1.

Dallas has a smaller quicker LB corp. and most likely were able to cover Cooley's speed-- thus, freeing up Robert Royal who was getting open and making catches.

Now with teams realizing that Brunell can hit Moss deep, this opens more shallow routes for Cooley, Royal, Sellers, Thrash and our RBs.

I already thought Cooley will have a big day vs the Seahawks because of the Hawks concerns of Portis and Moss.

Just my :2cents:

From what I saw in the first two games is Gibbs has kept Cooley in to block more. Chicago and Dallas have very aggressive defenses so the Skins were trying to get the extra protection. Part of the reason Brunell didn't get him the ball much last year was the fact that Cooley wasn't playing as much earlier in the season as he was still learning the offense. I feel in the upcoming weeks we'll hear his name mentioned quite a bit more.

I think you're right on. Cooley seemed to be in the backfield blocking the entire Dallas game.

I know Gibbs loves Max protect, but it's a shame to waste Cooley's hands blocking when he should be catching 1st downs.

If the passing game can get downfield, it should free up Cooley.

He really needs to be included in the game plan. The kid just makes things happen.

I don't think this is really an issue. Cooley and Ramsey do have good chemistry, but I think he'll be one of the prime targets for Brunell, and is a player that can compliment Brunell's strengths.

I'm much more concerned about Brunell being able to take advantage of our recievers and get them into the game. Patton was doing some good things with Ramsey, and has been invisible since Brunell came in. If the TDs to Moss were just a fluke and not something we will see regularly, then I am worried about that.

I think going in to this season teams were very conscious of Cooley's presence as he was basically our only target last year. They've been covering him pretty well, although he has had a couple nice plays and a touchdown that was called back. I think now teams will have to give a lot more attention to Moss which should open up some opportunities for Cooley. Brunell will find him, don't worry. Besides I'd rather have great chemistry between Brunell and Moss than Ramsey and Cooley....for obvious reasons (see:Dallas)

Exactly. Look at the 2004 as the year of the TE. Teams have been gameplanning all summer for the TE position (or H-Back in our case); compound that with the fact that Cooley was clearly target numero uno last year, and Defenses have schemed to take him away. The pendulum will swing back in a couple of weeks. Moss will be double covered before too long, opening up both Patten and Cooley.

I have been a little worried about Cooley myself. I just think Brunnell needs a few games with the starters to realize what weapons he has. He's got it with Moss, the rest will fall in his line of sight soon. Plus it doesn't help that the Dirtbags are letting him get sacked on pass plays or that he hasn't got a chance to setup play action really yet.

According to NFL.com, against Chicago, Ramsey threw four times to Cooley (2 complete, 1 incomplete, 1 called back for penalty) while Brunell threw three times (1 incomplete, 2 complete). One of Brunell's completions happened to be the 23 yarder.

Against Dallas, Brunell threw four times to Cooley (2 complete, 2 incomplete).

Regardless, Cooley is on pace for 40 catches and 432 yards. Those would both be improvements over last year's production.

But like Henry said, I don't give a damn if we're winning and Santana is tearing up the turf-

I think you're right on. Cooley seemed to be in the backfield blocking the entire Dallas game.

I know Gibbs loves Max protect, but it's a shame to waste Cooley's hands blocking when he should be catching 1st downs.

If the passing game can get downfield, it should free up Cooley.

He really needs to be included in the game plan. The kid just makes things happen.

My fantasy draft pick of Cooley is not looking as smart as I thought it was so far. Cooley was almost exclusively blocking agains't Dallas. Royal seems to be getting the routes and Cooley is blocking?! I can only guess this is because Royal is a worthless pass blocker.

Cooley should have had 2 touchdowns agains't Chicago though. The Taylor pass inter. and the bad pass from Brunell.

It's ok though, my backup tightend score me 15 fantasy points last week. Just tough to cheer for him or start him because it's.....Jason Witten ;)

My fantasy draft pick of Cooley is not looking as smart as I thought it was so far. Cooley was almost exclusively blocking agains't Dallas. Royal seems to be getting the routes and Cooley is blocking?! I can only guess this is because Royal is a worthless pass blocker.

Cooley should have had 2 touchdowns agains't Chicago though. The Taylor pass inter. and the bad pass from Brunell.

It's ok though, my backup tightend score me 15 fantasy points last week. Just though to cheer for him or start him because it's.....Jason Witten ;)

Yeah... I thought I was smart picking him up too. I had to let him go already.:(

I agree with NoCalMike. Cooley is meant more for red zone situations and the skins really have not had those type of situations. He had them against Chicago where one touchdown was called back and the other ball was thrown short. In Dallas, I don't think he skins' were in the red zone at all.

Archived