Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will gibbs open up the "O" this week?

redskin48

Guest sith lord

We better start opening up the offense if we want to hold on to first place. Every team in our division can score and we can't rely on our defense to win every week.

As long as our Defense continues to play at the level it is, expect more of the same.

Most NFL offenses are only opened up because they are forced to be.

Look no further than the Colts this year. Their D has stepped it up, so their offense does not need to take the same amount of risk.

Look at the cowboys' playcalling against us, and then against the 49ers. They opened it up because they were getting blown out against the 49ers. Against us they were VERY conservative.

As long as we continue to play opposing teams close, expect our offense to be more of the same. But expect us to keep winning, also. :)

In this league, what you do on defense can determine your play on offense, and vice-versa. It is the exception rather than the rule when a team comes along and is able to consistently put up a ton of points and shut the other team down at the same time.

As long as our Defense continues to play at the level it is, expect more of the same.

Most NFL offenses are only opened up because they are forced to be.

Look no further than the Colts this year. Their D has stepped it up, so their offense does not need to take the same amount of risk.

Look at the cowboys' playcalling against us, and then against the 49ers. They opened it up because they were getting blown out against the 49ers. Against us they were VERY conservative.

As long as we continue to play opposing teams close, expect our offense to be more of the same. But expect us to keep winning, also. :)

In this league, what you do on defense can determine your play on offense, and vice-versa. It is the exception rather than the rule when a team comes along and is able to consistently put up a ton of points and shut the other team down at the same time.

Agreed. If they score 2 on a saftey, I want a FG to win. It's not how you play the game, it's all about the win, and that's all that matters.

Winning is not Everything, it's the Only thing....

I have a few thoughts on this. Gibbs' O was never as "conservative" as it is right now back in the day. So why is it now? I think it has to do with the players in the system and getting them on the right page. If you aren't confident in your players (QB mainly) you are going to reflect that in your playcalling, even more so because you have a D that you know can bail you out.

I think that when the players start doing the fundamentals right and showing that they are ready, he will take it to the next level. I think they are close, and I think you will see some plays on Sunday that you haven't seen us run last year or this one.

At least I hope so.

Exactly, Chewy.

What some of you guys haven't quite figured out yet is that our line is playing like garbage right now. How can you expect Gibbs to open up the passing game when there is little to no pass protection?

Our run game is struggling as well. This has everything to do with the play of our line. I know some of you want to blame Brunell, Portis, or even Gibbs but I do not think this is the case. Right now this oline is not getting it done. Dockery is like a turn style out there. Cooley is not stepping up yet, either. Bottom line is these guys need to start buying into what Bugel is selling because if not it's going to be another long year for Brunell and even worse for Portis. Even the Giants oline has been giving Eli time to stand back and deliver the ball downfield. That is something that has been missing on our team for so long that we don't even know what it looks like.

Execution, guys. It's not rocket science. We have the talent, and potential. Now it's all a matter of executing the plays correctly and blowing someone off their blocks, controlling the line of scrimmage.

I have a few thoughts on this. Gibbs' O was never as "conservative" as it is right now back in the day. So why is it now? I think it has to do with the players in the system and getting them on the right page. If you aren't confident in your players (QB mainly) you are going to reflect that in your playcalling, even more so because you have a D that you know can bail you out.

I think that when the players start doing the fundamentals right and showing that they are ready, he will take it to the next level. I think they are close, and I think you will see some plays on Sunday that you haven't seen us run last year or this one.

At least I hope so.

I disagree. On "O" it starts at the line. Back in the early days of Joe Gibbs we had the Hogs. Today we have the Dirtbags. If we can get protection for the QB he plays good. If we can open holes, Portis will take chunks of yardage at a time.

It starts with the line, just ask Emmitt Smith.

I agree, we will probably have the same grind out style offense again versus Seatle. I don't see us changing from this in the game. However, if Gibbs can open up his offense, he needs to do it as soon as we fall behind or mix it in more with the base offense; not wait until the end of the game.

Someone made the comment about which O-Line showing up. I think our O-Line has been showing up. When Dallas blitzed, they either brought the house, overloaded one side, or had a delayed blitz on. Pretty hard to have a downfield attack when you have to max protect on passing downs. Mark has the ability to buy time and make the smart play, that's why Gibbs put him in. We need to more consistently hit our check downs in blitzing situations if we want to get the deep game going and take some pressure off the QB. Pretty hard to get the ball down the field when only 2 WR go out and everyone else stays in to block.

It isn't Gibbs. If you listen to Gibbs' interviews you would know that in the Dallas game they had called in plays deep all night. Mark would either hit his check down (we all know he does this too often) or the O-Line would miss a block and the ball would either come out late of the play would be blown entirely. The players need to make plays, that's the bottom line.

If the wide outs are running mid range patterns Brunell needs to find them and get them the ball instead of settling for the dump off 9 out of 10 times. He has the tools, he proved that, but he needs the will to take the team to the next level. It isn't helping that our O-Line has looked horrible in pass defense, other teams (cowboys) had all day to throw the ball, our QB are running scared and our running back is being given holes a field mouse couldn't wiggle through.

having shown that we can bomb the ball downfield, hopefully that will hold the secondary back just a little and we can hand off to Portis about thirty times. I really have no problem watching that. Of course it's far more entertaining to see the ball fly all over the field but that's probably not going to happen. It would be nice if the D could post some points and take the pressure off of the O. But I realize they are holding more than their own. Now if our special teams could get involved then the whole complexion of the game changes. It would be cool to see our offense get creative and have some success. Only Joe knows the answer to what we want to know.

I disagree. On "O" it starts at the line. Back in the early days of Joe Gibbs we had the Hogs. Today we have the Dirtbags. If we can get protection for the QB he plays good. If we can open holes, Portis will take chunks of yardage at a time.

It starts with the line, just ask Emmitt Smith.

Sad but true:doh:

Take a look at the AFC West. All those teams have solid olines. KC's current oline is up there with the Dallas oline of the 90's. You can plug any RB back there and you are assured TD's and 100 yards rushing. People key on the run and still cannot stop it. Eerily reminiscent of the Hogs, wouldnt you say?

Mark May and Jacoby used to tell the defense right where the play was going and DARE them to stop us and they STILL could not. Our line sucks compared to those guys. We use a ton of movement and the same type of trap plays with pulling guards and we get 1-2 yards. This is because we are not blocking well.

It all starts up front. If you don't get solid play up front then your QB is going to get hurried, flushed, throw more picks, and the pass game is going to suffer. No threat of a pass game teams can key more onto the run. No run game and we can't establish play action passes which is what Gibbs loves to do once we are able to establish solid running game.

Sad but true:doh:

Take a look at the AFC West. All those teams have solid olines. KC's current oline is up there with the Dallas oline of the 90's. You can plug any RB back there and you are assured TD's and 100 yards rushing. People key on the run and still cannot stop it. Eerily reminiscent of the Hogs, wouldnt you say?

Mark May and Jacoby used to tell the defense right where the play was going and DARE them to stop us and they STILL could not. Our line sucks compared to those guys. We use a ton of movement and the same type of trap plays with pulling guards and we get 1-2 yards. This is because we are not blocking well.

It all starts up front. If you don't get solid play up front then your QB is going to get hurried, flushed, throw more picks, and the pass game is going to suffer. No threat of a pass game teams can key more onto the run. No run game and we can't establish play action passes which is what Gibbs loves to do once we are able to establish solid running game.

I think that this is right on.

It isn't Gibbs. If you listen to Gibbs' interviews you would know that in the Dallas game they had called in plays deep all night. Mark would either hit his check down (we all know he does this too often) or the O-Line would miss a black and the ball would either come out late of the play would be blown entirely. The players need to make plays, that's the bottom line.

To be fair, I think the O-line missed some white players too.

You know everyone is down on the o-line myself included. They have only

played two games, can we cut them just a little slack, at least until we see

them this weekend?

No. They get the same treatment that every athlete gets. That being - Show that you can do it on the field. Brunell answered questions regarding his armstrength, not because homers around here had faith but because he stepped on the field in the 4th and launched some beautiful downfield shots that lifted us to a great win.

The OL has to be challenged the same way. They have to feel the fans frustration and wake up to the reality that they have to come out on the field and make a statement. No skins fan wants a single player on the team to fail, but we want to see they can live up to their potential. They should put up the doubts from this board on the board in OL meetings. Piss them off a little and make them want to manhandle the seagull d-line.

Archived