Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will gibbs open up the "O" this week?

redskin48

Exactly, Chewy.

What some of you guys haven't quite figured out yet is that our line is playing like garbage right now. How can you expect Gibbs to open up the passing game when there is little to no pass protection?

Our run game is struggling as well. This has everything to do with the play of our line. I know some of you want to blame Brunell, Portis, or even Gibbs but I do not think this is the case. Right now this oline is not getting it done. Dockery is like a turn style out there. Cooley is not stepping up yet, either. Bottom line is these guys need to start buying into what Bugel is selling because if not it's going to be another long year for Brunell and even worse for Portis. Even the Giants oline has been giving Eli time to stand back and deliver the ball downfield. That is something that has been missing on our team for so long that we don't even know what it looks like.

Execution, guys. It's not rocket science. We have the talent, and potential. Now it's all a matter of executing the plays correctly and blowing someone off their blocks, controlling the line of scrimmage.

I have to agree. Especially the part about Dockery. I have watched the Dallas game twice now and I found myself actually feeling sorry for this kid. There were times where he was being pushed back into the backfield so badly that I thought that he was going to get a sack or tackle Portis himself. To watch someone that big get pushed around like that just looks odd.

You know everyone is down on the o-line myself included. They have only

played two games, can we cut them just a little slack, at least until we see

them this weekend?

Actually, we are not down on them. I think both illone and myself at least, just want to put the blame where the blame needs to be. Too many people are fast to jump on the QB, and Portis, and blame them.

:2cents:

There were a couple of plays where Moss got open deep and Brunell either did not see him or did not get the ball to him. One of them was in the corner of the endzone. I think that if Brunell had thrown the ball sooner and further it would have been a completion/TD.

The other play was a completion to Royal on the sideline, where Royal juked a defender and gained another five yards. On that play I had noticed that Moss had did the same out pattern that Royal did, but then quickly turned it up the sideline and left his man behind him.

My point is that I think that they will see these things when looking at films and along with the two TD's realize just how often Moss is capable of getting open. The coaching staff will use Moss's capabilities as an excuse/reason to open the playbook...IMHO.

Actually, we are not down on them. I think both illone and myself at least, just want to put the blame where the blame needs to be. Too many people are fast to jump on the QB, and Portis, and blame them.

:2cents:

judge them on the season, not against Chicago and Dallas back 2 back. Those teams have a tendancy to make many Olines look very average.

We need to get healthy against some finesse/pansy teams,,, starting this week.

Destino wrote... It isn't Gibbs. If you listen to Gibbs' interviews you would know that in the Dallas game they had called in plays deep all night. Mark would either hit his check down (we all know he does this too often)

Mark Brunell makes fewer mistakes because he takes fewer risks. He dinks and dunks. That's why Gibbs traded for him. That's how he won the job. So, why does it matter what play is called? And why isn't it Gibbs' fault? Mark is his guy.

Take a look at the Jags 2002 season stats for Brunell. In 15 starts, high completion rate, very good QB rating, team record 6-10, 26th in passing yardage.

Friends, Romans, countrymen, skinsfans, lend me your ears!!!

Our O-line will be just fine! What NEEDS to be understood, is that this is Joe Gibbs football and we are not seeing Joe Gibbs football just yet! When we had the Hogs, we ran and ran and ran and ran and told people we were going to run and showed where we were going to run and still did it! Portis got 17 carries in the game against Dallas!!! SEVENTEEN!?!?!?! In whole game?? How many did he have in 1st half?? 8-10? THAT is establishing a running game. It's not like we were playing from behind 24-0 at half time, we were behind 10-0 in 3 1/3 quarters. I am really confused. I would rather have Portis carry ball 25-30 times and have 10 total passes all game, 3 of which are TD's. Joe Gibbs football of ole said you know we are running, we know we are running, stop it anyways, and no one could. Our pass blocking will be much better and our sacks will drop when we establish the run, STAY with the run and not worry about being "predictable"! But I am already getting tired of seeing our possesions start at the 15 or 18 or 10 yard line and have our 1st two plays be pass plays. POUND THE BALL with PORTIS, and everthing else will open up!! Watch and see!!

Friends, Romans, countrymen, skinsfans, lend me your ears!!!

Our O-line will be just fine! What NEEDS to be understood, is that this is Joe Gibbs football and we are not seeing Joe Gibbs football just yet! When we had the Hogs, we ran and ran and ran and ran and told people we were going to run and showed where we were going to run and still did it! Portis got 17 carries in the game against Dallas!!! SEVENTEEN!?!?!?! In whole game?? How many did he have in 1st half?? 8-10? THAT is establishing a running game. It's not like we were playing from behind 24-0 at half time, we were behind 10-0 in 3 1/3 quarters. I am really confused. I would rather have Portis carry ball 25-30 times and have 10 total passes all game, 3 of which are TD's. Joe Gibbs football of ole said you know we are running, we know we are running, stop it anyways, and no one could. Our pass blocking will be much better and our sacks will drop when we establish the run, STAY with the run and not worry about being "predictable"! But I am already getting tired of seeing our possesions start at the 15 or 18 or 10 yard line and have our 1st two plays be pass plays. POUND THE BALL with PORTIS, and everthing else will open up!! Watch and see!!

Yeah! What he said!

Nope, your wrong.

:laugh:

Tell you one thing though Chubakah. I'd take our line and whole team over and its inconsistency (which are improving); over Seatle Jeckle and Hyde team any day. Seatle fans have to sleepless at nights worrying about which team of thiers is going to show up.

U will prob see more deep passes to Moss/Patten......Im not worried about Moss being double covered bc he can outrun just about anybody...

Yes.

The old Gibbs teams had the rep for being a grind it out team mixed with an heir of un-predictablity, in that we had a good D back then, and do now as well, so you can take a chance or two ot three every game.

I think We'll still see a lot of running with short and intermediate passes, but we can throw in some bombs on 3rd and 1 when everyone expects us to run. - If it doesn't work, we got a good D to get the ball back.

Guest LavarFanatic

We better open our O to beat the seahawks Of the 54 teams that have started 3-0 in the past 10 years, 40 of them have advanced to the playoffs.

I think he is kind of excited that Brunell connected..maybe even shocked...LOL!

Anyway the shock has worn off now, the game plan is in form and we are going to open it up our passing game big time, and therefore, Portis is going to have room to run and he is going to have over 120 yards rushing and we are going to win!!

RUN PORTIS RUN!!!

I think we'll open it up a little bit more this week. We showed that we have a deep passing threat. Plus we showed it against a good defensive team. The Seahawks have a decent defense but their secondary is not that good. Granted they have Trufant, but now with Moss having those two touchdown passes, they have to respect the passing game. If we complete a few long passes, then we should win. We have too many weapons, we just need to put them to use. Look at it this way, the Hawks' will be forced to honor the passing game and that will open up holes for Portis. They will likely be covering Moss tight which should open up the passing game to colley, patten, or even thrash.

Will gibbs open up the "O" this week. or will it be the same old short passing game?

Why do people keep asking this question?

You have SEEN the offense. The offense you see EVERY week IS our offense. There is no opening it up. Gibbs is a conservetive coach. Run, run, pass...

We ask ourselves this question every week. The answer is no. He will not "open the offense up."

He will continue to call plays with quick slants, screens and dump-offs.

Every once in a while you might see a bomb thrown in there.

I think we all wish he would open the offense up. But I doubt he will.

Archived