Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the Excuses?

Leon Phelps

While celebrating this glorious victory at Dave and Busters in White Flint yesterday, I came across a trend that really irks me.

Why is it that when the Skins win all doubters and non believers harp on how many points we scored instead of how many points the opposing team scored?

Since when has it become commonplace to overlook the aboslutely dominant defense we have and concentrate on an offense that still scores just enough points for us to win?

Because some of us see the big picture, and realize that our offense is still atrocious. And now we know for sure that its the scheme holding us back, not the players. Gibbs better get this offense going because it's all on him now. If I get one more deja vu of last year, like i had for about 3 hours last night, I'm gonna go nuts.

The thing about it is, The Ravens have been congratulated for years for playing the same style of football that we have exhibited this season but no one seemed to give them a gimp wheel because their defense keeps them in games.(I mean the Ravens of the past 4 years not this years team)

Because our offense still sucks save 2 plays.

We won't win consistantly playing 55 minutes like that.

Exactly and Exactly.

We won but if fans cant admit that this bye week is MUCH NEEDED in order to stabilize our stagnet offense, correct mistakes and re-evaluate our scheme then they are missing the point.

We won but there is a ton of stuff on offense to correct. Our D played very well....besides the parcells special we played our tails off. Our O needs to be addressed and I am confident that this win didnt hide the fact that our offense is very inept as a whole.

The thing about it is, The Ravens have been congratulated for years for playing the same style of football that we have exhibited this season but no one seemed to give them a gimp wheel because their defense keeps them in games.(I mean the Ravens of the past 4 years not this years team)

I don't think the Ravens have ever been "congratulated" for it.

Anyways, we weren't playing Ravens football. That would require a running game, and just enough passing to win.

To answer the poster's question, it is because we care about this team and we want to win. After watching the play of most of the game, there is a lot to worry about. Yes, I'll take the win, but we have a lot of work to do.

Jason

I'll take a sloppy win everyday over a welle executed loss.

However, we should have lost that game last night. 2 hail mary-esque plays and the wonderful pass coverages of Williams and Newman sealed the deal.

Would it have been more "acceptable" if those two passes came in the 3rd Quarter? ;)

People have been saying we need to throw deep and take chances. We did that and suddenly people were saying we had to take a chance to win. I don't get it. Those weren't Hail Mary passes. Both of those passes were perfect and right where Moss could get them.

Maybe it took the 4th quarter to be Brunells inspiration to go to the deep pass, but I dont think its luck its CONFIDENCE once you realize you can do something and do it, come back and do it again it's not luck its CONFIDENCE. Lets not disrespect Moss and say he made 2 lucky grabs, or Brunell threw 2 lucky pass beacuse as stated before they both made plays like this before. If the 2 TD's happened 1st quarter will we still say those were LUCKY plays. I've heard nobody say the fleaflicker was a luck play on Dallas behalf only it was a good Parcells play. So I say nots mistake LUCK for CONFIDENCE no matter how long it took them to get it.

It was a great feeling to beat Dallas on their home turf, but claiming that Brunell's the man and we'll reach the playoffs is a bit ridiculous right now.

As someone else said in another thread, did you all forget the first 55 minutes of the game? I sure didn't (my neighbors won't for awhile, either, as I screamed quite a bit).

Would it have been more "acceptable" if those two passes came in the 3rd Quarter? ;)

People have been saying we need to throw deep and take chances. We did that and suddenly people were saying we had to take a chance to win. I don't get it. Those weren't Hail Mary passes. Both of those passes were perfect and right where Moss could get them.

:D I didnt say that it was a hail mary, i said "hail mary-esque" Both of those passes to Moss were in at least double coverage. When the first pass was thrown to Moss, caught and not intercepted I spit Guinness all over the bar :laugh: Bartender wasnt happy!

Playing like yesterday gets us nine wins and a possible playoff. Brunell to Moss gets better and maybe more!

Danny Boy...whatever you are smoking, I need some!! Out of all the comments I've read today, this one takes the cake...why? because you really believe that! I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't....Thanks for the laugh

The first TD was absolutely desparation. It was 4th and 15, thus the Hail Mary comparisons. The second TD was a great play call because after the first TD we found out that Santana is really hella fast.

:D I didnt say that it was a hail mary, i said "hail mary-esque" Both of those passes to Moss were in at least double coverage. When the first pass was thrown to Moss, caught and not intercepted I spit Guinness all over the bar :laugh: Bartender wasnt happy!

So... what you're saying is spilling your Guinness really is Mark Brunell's fault... :cheers:

Thats what I was trying to get across. The first toss came out of nowhere and caught the defense off guard and the second pass just exploited a matchup that we saw as a weakness. Gibbs play calling was sufficient enough to get us a win. We don't have the type of personell to get us game changing plays every drive as evidenced by the ball Brunell threw to Patten that would have been caught had he been 4 inches taller. I understand we have things to work on but how much different dow we expect the offense to be?

I give moss mad props for both catchs-- the first one has something-- the second he adjusted the route and his speed to catch the ball on dead stride and underneath the ball. Its like Willie Mays running down a fly ball. its not that he made the catch its that he was in position to make a play after the catch.

C'mon guys lighten up!

If, the good Lord willing, the Skins went on to the Super Bowl, and won it the same way...would you still be b!tching?? It's been a while...let's enjoy it.

The coaching staff is smart. You don't think that they've learned from this experience? Look for 'em to open it up more, especially after a couple of weeks with Brunell working with our Receivers.

:dallasuck

I suggest you watch the Redskins.com video with Brunell's postgame. He puts it all pretty much out there- they wanted to establish the run early, and were unable to. The passing offense did not look good for most of the game. They were fortunate to get a win, give them some momentum heading into the bye, and show them that they can win these games when they stick to it and it comes down to the wire (this is big because the D needs to know that if they hold the other team down, the O *can* do something). That's what they're taking out of this game.

They're not taking this game to mean the O is fixed. They're not taking this game to mean that they're playoff bound with play like this all season long.

They have work to do in the bye week. Great postgame comments by Brunell.

Yeah that darn Brunell with almost a 90 rating and a 2-0 record is holding us back. What a joke. Newsflash: 2-0 is 2-0 whether you score 200 points or 6.

:applause: :applause: :cheers:

Hell yeah! Imagine getting stuck in a foxhole with some of these posters.... Sheesh......let's savor the moment, it's been a long time coming, and move on!

Archived