Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kurt warner or Mark Brunell? WHo would have been better as a Skin QB

boobiemiles

Last year when the Giants picked up Kurt Warner I was mad. I felt that they picked up a QB that would have been perfect for this team. The knock on Kurt was he had a bum thumb, and couldn't hold on to the ball. I thought that was something that would heal over time and he would still have the touch on his deep ball, and be a fine NFL QB.

In week 1 against the Gianst Kurt threw for 264 yards 1 TD and 1 int (the int coming off a tip I believe), and finish the day with a 73 QB rating. That is higher than Mark Bruhell. He threw some nice deep balls, and had good touch on the intermidiate stuff. And that was behind a suspect O-line with a fourth string center.

This is one of the aspects that gets me dissapointed in this franchise. I'm not sure what they are thinking. WHy did we give Brunell a 7 year contract. Is he really going to play pass 40? Did we really look at all the possibilities before we signed Bruhell? Kurt and Bru are the same age, but last year Kurt was well on his way to threw over 3000 yards. He finished the season with a 86 QB rating. Sometimes I don't understand this team. We use to make the good moves like Gerald Riggs, Matt Millen, Wilbur Marshalls. These guys fit the systemand style of both Petibon and Gibbs. I don't undestand why this time around we get guys that we are trying to fit into the system. It's like fitting a square peg in a round hole. And it keep us looking like brown holes. I don't get it.

We gotta beat Dallas Joe. The whole world is watching.

Brunell does seem like he could make better decisions, but I would have preferred Warner as he was one of the best passers at one point. Also, he still has veteran experience, though Im not sure if Gibbs would have used a vertical passing game much still last season even with another gunslinging QB.

Warner would have probably been better. He falls apart when he gets hit too much, but we've been doing a good job protecting the quarterback. Also, coming from the Rams, he would have been more used to the kind of offense Gibbs runs, whereas Brunell had all his success in a west coast offense.

Neither. The obviously correct answer is... KERRY COLLINS.

The Giants' O was a rip off of the Skins 99 offense, which is another outgrowth of Coryell's system. Hence, the learning curve wouldn't have been too steep. Collins is no pro bowler, to be sure, but unlike the rest of our QBs, he is competent.

As for Timmyboy, give me a break. He doesn't have the arm to run a Gibbs' O. He was only a slight upgrade over washed out Brunell in terms arm strength; and as his 0.0 rating against Dallas showed, once teams had film on him, they could easily stop him.

You know this thread is funny, because I said the exact same thing last year and this year. I thought if Warner was here, we would have been much better, because he has a quick release and makes good decisions. His knock is he cant move, but Brunell moving around doesn't do all that good for him, ask Ed Reed! Warner also has a strong arm and can do some damage in this offense. Everyone will see that this year with Dennis Green, as long as they get a running game going.

I have to agree with Riggo and say Kerry Collins. Strong armed and while he can't run well, he does move around in the pocket to buy himself time. There was never a question as to his production like there was with Mark and Kurt. He's not as deadly as Kurt Warner is if given time but he has certainly shown himself to be more capable or running a NFL grade passing attack then Brunell has in the past 3 years.

Have you seen Kurt's wife..?? Hasslebeck is they guy we should have kept... :D

I was more distraught over Hasselbeck's wife leaving than I was having Gardner leaving....SO HOT.

I do not think that Warner would have helped, then we would be complaining about him. We do need a young guy to lead us into the future, I don't know if that is Ramsey, Brunell of Campbell, but I dont think that Warner would have made a difference in the lack of scoring. :dallasuck

This is one of the aspects that gets me dissapointed in this franchise. I'm not sure what they are thinking. WHy did we give Brunell a 7 year contract. Is he really going to play pass 40?

The 7 year contract is for cap purposes - Brunell's signing bonus is spread out over the term of the contract for accounting against the salary cap. It's doubtful the Skins expect him to be there for the entire 7 years.

Any capalogy professors out there chime in anytime you like. :)

Warner's issues with fumbles is probably what kept him off the radar. I think Collins had some of the same question marks about holding onto the football although that was earlier in his career and I'm not sure how he's fared recently.

I would pick Brunell of Warner or Collins. I don't think Warner would have done better in Gibbs offense. Warner was used to a vertical passing game, something I don't know if Gibbs would do even if he did have the right people in place. he wants to pound the ball like he did back when. It remains to be seen if that strategy will still work.

Collins is too streaky (but so is Brunell), plus, I can't see signing anyone who has the audacity to don a Giants uniform.

Archived