Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Terry Bradshaw article on Fox sports

Gibbsfan713

FOXSports.com - NFL on FOX Insiders- Redskins should go with rookie QB now

Here's the thing if you are a Washington Redskins fan. I've seen Patrick Ramsey and Mark Brunell. And I know they are good people and that Ramsey hurt his neck on Sunday against the Bears. But doggone, there comes a time when you make a change at quarterback

Coach Joe Gibbs made Jason Campbell a first-round draft pick. I watched Campbell play a lot at Auburn. I think he's a gamer and he throws very well. I mean, Campbell can go 6-for-11 passing if that's what Gibbs' plan is for his offense. Those were Ramsey's stats.

I would be playing him. If he's worthy of being a first-round pick, then you must think he has some talent. I'd just put him in there. I swear I would. I simply don't see anything great from Washington's other two quarterbacks. I don't see any difference-makers at quarterback. Why not start the rookie?

Let's be honest, the Redskins are going to run Clinton Portis (121 yards vs. the Bears) anyway. That's their offense right now. Joe Ferguson started in Buffalo in the 1970s when they had an offensive line called the Electric Company with a runner like O.J. Simpson. All Ferguson did was simply manage the ship. He didn't do anything spectacular in the beginning, but he got all that experience. They are going to run the football. You don't need Peyton Manning back there from what the Redskins are trying to do on offense.

I'm waiting for the Joe Gibbs offense that I loved more than 15 years ago. I know Gibbs still has it. I'm not one of those people saying the game or time has passed Joe by. He's too smart for that. I just don't think he has the people to pull the trigger. That's what it appears like. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I feel. Believe me, I think any coach can tell when a guy has "it." You know what, we've been waiting for "it" to pop up for awhile. Maybe Campbell has "it." I loved him in college. So why doesn't Joe find out? You never know. The Redskins' quarterback could be sitting on the sideline right now.

I don't know. Some QB's can be thrown into the fire and come out the other side just fine. Others fall apart. Some need a year or two on the sidelines holding the clipboard.

Is there really a tried and true formula??

On Sirius the other day, John Riggins suggested starting Campbell after the bye week,in a way, a side of me agrees with that(even though I know Coach despises starting rookies). His reasoning?? You can't go back to Ramsey, his confidence is shattered, you know what you have already in Brunell, might as well admit that you're aiming to the future and see what you have in Campbell.

What really is the right way to go about the QB situation?? :whoknows:

On Sirius the other day, John Riggins suggested starting Campbell after the bye week,in a way, a side of me agrees with that(even though I know Coach despises starting rookies). His reasoning?? You can't go back to Ramsey, his confidence is shattered, you know what you have already in Brunell, might as well admit that you're aiming to the future and see what you have in Campbell.

That's assuming you don't think the playoffs are a reality, which Gibbs thinks is true.

He put in Brunell because he wants to win, and he feels that's the best option.

Jason

If we go back to Ramsey, he is going to be on a mission and take more risks resulting in worse plays. Why? Cause he knows he wont be here anymore. So in my eyes, Ramsey is 3rd stringer. If Brunell gets hurt, Gibbs is really going to think about putting Cambell in.

I hate to say it, but Bradshaw has a point. This is a run-first offense. Campbell is perfectly capable of going into a game, throwing for under 20 passes, and making a few good throws. Sure, he'll make mistakes; but would he be any worse than Ramsey?

I just see an uber-conservative offense under Brunell. We need yards; why not give Campbell the reigns? I think he'll do well, and he's got the right mentality. He's a field general, and that's what we need. Plus, he could make a few plays w/ his feet.

Eff it, play him.

Well, for this week at least I'd bet the farm the Campbell will be the 3rd QB which means he can't play unless both Brunell and Ramsey are injured. I understand what Terry is saying though. However, I think we need to give Brunell a couple weeks to see what he's got left in the tank.

I was impressed with how he threw the ball in preseason. Yes, yes, it was against backups but what I'm talking about is the amount of velocity on the ball. He threw 20 yard outs on a rope. If he still has the arm strength I think he gives us a better chance to win this year than Campbell. We need to run the ball and play defense. We need just enough QB play to keep defenses honest. Hopefully Campbell is the best QB on the roster. Lets just wait 'till next year to find out.

ya know what, i think that Ramsey, if he gets the opprotunity is going to play like his back is against the wall. SIMPLY because of the fact that Gibbs has made an example out of him, and Ramsey doesnt want to go down again. He is going to either shine, or hes going to drop, no mediocre play.

To add on, Campbell may actually be the main reason that Joe is starting Brunell. Campbell needs to see how a professional quarterback gets it donw in the NFL. Brunell may have lost some moxy, but Campbell is oozing natural ability. He's just raw. He needs a true mentor to show him how to manage a game, and the best way for him to learn is holding a clipboard, watching Brunell make the right decisions.

If Brunell gets this team winning, then he'll play out the season. If we flounder, Campbell comes in mid-season. That's my prediction.

Moreover, kudos to Joe for addressing the already-present complications at the QB spot. We were all perplexed as to why he drafted a QB, and gave up so much for it. He sees a lot in Campbell, and right now, it looks like Joe had every reason to make that decision.

When I saw the thread title I though Bradshaw was going to bash the crap out of us. I'm shocked to see his opinion make some sense. He's just giving an opinion from the outside looking in and admits he doesn't know why Gibbs isn't doing it, and that coaches know who has it.

Maybe Mark will have a good game Monday, if he does all this talk is over. But if he sucks people are going to want to get a look at Jason sooner then later. Bradshaw is going to have a lot of people agreeing with him unless Mark finally makes earns his money and make Joe look good again.

The reason so many rookie QBs fail to do well their first year, is because they are on BAD teams. Why else (barring injury) would a rookie QB be starting? If Gibbs feels our team can make a push, why go with the rookie who will undoubtedly make mental errors, rookie mistakes, and so on? Go with the steady veteran who can lead you into the playoffs. Then, next year, or even the year after that, Campbell has had enough time to absorb the incredible amount of info being thrust upon him now. He can process it, and hopefully perform. The whole point is that most here believe our talent level is not bad at all, and we do have a chance to surprise some people and push to the playoffs. If not, and we lose many games, we should start the kid later in the year.

The reason so many rookie QBs fail to do well their first year, is because they are on BAD teams. Why else (barring injury) would a rookie QB be starting? If Gibbs feels our team can make a push, why go with the rookie who will undoubtedly make mental errors, rookie mistakes, and so on? Go with the steady veteran who can lead you into the playoffs. Then, next year, or even the year after that, Campbell has had enough time to absorb the incredible amount of info being thrust upon him now. He can process it, and hopefully perform. The whole point is that most here believe our talent level is not bad at all, and we do have a chance to surprise some people and push to the playoffs. If not, and we lose many games, we should start the kid later in the year.

Tom Brady.

There's a reason some X-football players become announcers, and some go on to coaching.

Any questions?

So what are you saying?? That Sonny and Sam don't know diddly about football? Try another approach. That one fails the sniff test.

Sure there are some real duds out there (Michael Irvin being a prime example). But there are NUMEROUS guys with great knowledge and intuition. Mark Schlereth, Mike Golic, on and on...

Archived