Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monday Morning Coaching (Merge)

Taylor 36

Ok, Ok, Ok. There has been a lot of heated debating and some hostility flying around this board for the past few days. The Quarterback situation seems to have ruffled a lot of feathers. So, what I want to know is who everyone SAW doing the best job. Not your opinion. Not what you think. Not were your loyalties to a favorite player lie. After watching the preseason games, viewing posts reporting training camp, and week 1 against the Bears, whom did you see as being the BEST option for qb.

If you have to, take a moment to flush any bias or resentment out of your mind and try to answer as objectively as possibly.

Who would you choose:

Patrick Ramsey

Mark Brunell

Jason Cambell

We don't have a starting QB on our roster

Ramsey looked uncomfortable at first, but after he threw his interception I thought he really settled down and was throwing the ball crisply. After he went down I have to say I was impressed by Brunell. He moved much better than last year, didn't drop back right into the pass rush, and generally put the ball on target. I think it would have been a mistake to disturb the rhythm he had developed by putting Ramsey back in in the middle of the game.

I think most people would forgive me, however, for being a little wary of putting Brunell back in the starting role. I recognize that this is a new year, but I can't help but wonder if this is the right move for the team.

It seems especially sour that Gibbs stuck with a mediocre Brunell for so long and has now yanked Ramsey following half a game, even after naming him the team's definite starter.

That said, I freely admit that I don't know the situation the way Gibbs does. Maybe Ramsey is medically cleared to play, but Gibbs does not feel he's 100% or even 90% yet. Maybe Ramsey does bonehead things in practice that drive Gibbs bonkers. Maybe Gibbs saw the same rushing stats posted here earlier, with Portis averaging greater yards per carry with Brunell under center. I don't know.

I trust Gibbs, and I believe he'll do his best for the team and the fans. I think some people here forget that Gibbs is imperfect, however. He is human, he makes mistakes, and he will invariably make the wrong decision from time to time. Is this one of those times? It's impossible to say, but I hope not. I like Ramsey, and I truly hope he does well in this league, but my loyalties lie with the franchise, not the player. As long as we keep winning I will be happy.

From what I SAW in the preseason and first game, I'd start Ramsey.

But, from what I saw in the preseason, I'd have gotten Mark in with the starters at some point against a first-string D, just for info gathering purposes. Brunell looked like he got his legs back during the offseason, but we played Ramsey long in most of the preseason games. By the time Mark got in, he was often against the 3rd and 4th team D, not just the back-ups. He had a lot less pressure on him from those Ds. I simply don't know if Mark can perform at that level against a faster, game-planned D.

What we saw on Sunday looked frighteningly like last year. But, that may have been the play calling with a cold QB who hadn't gotten a lot of practice. We'll know a lot more late Monday night into Tuesday morning. If it's as bad as last year and Joe sticks with him for another 8-9 weeks like he did before, the voices in my head will start asking me some very uncomfortable questions.

How many times are people going to say " after he threw his interception I thought he really settled down and was throwing the ball crisply" about Ramsey after we lose a game it gets old real quick so if you look at the preseason and the first quarter of Ramseys play what looked good and whats the shock that he's not the starting QB. If Brunell lookes like John Elway monday what will we say........

In loving memory of Patrick Ramsey former starting QB of the Washington Redskins

How many times are people going to say " after he threw his interception I thought he really settled down and was throwing the ball crisply" about Ramsey after we lose a game it gets old real quick so if you look at the preseason and the first quarter of Ramseys play what looked good and whats the shock that he's not the starting QB. If Brunell lookes like John Elway monday what will we say........

In loving memory of Patrick Ramsey former starting QB of the Washington Redskins

Psst. :paranoid: It came out in one of the papers this morning that the receiver ran the wrong route on Ramsey's interception. :shhh:

I don't believe Brunell will look like John Elway on Monday. And as long as I believe Patrick Ramsey got into a groove, I'll call it that way. What exactly makes you believe Brunell is better than Ramsey?

i can't vote this poll :rolleyes:

you need a fifth option , whom ever Joe Gibbs says is the starter will start . that could very well change after the Bye week

I understand what you're saying about Gibbs making the decisions and having faith in those decisions. However, the reason I started this thread and poll (and name it what I did) was to see what other people's thoughts were on our qb play outside of their loyalties. I just wanted people to focus on what info they have heard and seen, and what they themselves had seen, and then to put themselves in Gibbs position and choose who they would start.

Tarhog and I had the honor of being on the field and in the pressbox during the game... there were two plays we saw that really impressed us regarding Brunell, and we actually said to each other, "I am not sure Patrick is at a point where he would have made that play..."

1. Brunell gets a shotgun snap bouncing at his feet in the dirt.... he snaps it up, and scrambles for a bit, and then fires it off to Cooley for a 1st down.

2. Brunell feels the rush in the pocket.... scrambles to the right, sees no one open, and fires it out of bounds to preserve FG position.

Those are the plays that we just havent seen Patrick making over the past several games, going back to last season... Now, I fully believe that he has come a loooong way already since the SOS years, but obviously he just isnt there yet to the degree that Coach Gibbs feels is necessary to start against Dallas.

Quite honestly, we are in a GREAT position as a team... we have two guys (maybe even 3) who could carry this team at QB. Gibbs says his gut tells him to go with Brunell. Gibbs is human and can certainly make mistakes... but if I were a gambler, I would NOT bet against the gut of someone who has proven to be a champion in every endeaver he has been a part of.

If Brunell lookes like John Elway monday what will we say........

:laugh:

I think even a retired John Elway has more arm strength than Brunell did in his prime. Elway has one of the strongest arms in the NFL back in his day.

Anyway, honestly there are enough pros and cons and strengths and weaknesses in their performance from each quarterback for supporters and detractors alike to make their points. What it really comes down to is what kind of offense you prefer, as Brunell and Ramsey are really two very different quarterbacks. Brunell can't take full advantage of our recievers speed and quickness like Ramsey can. He'll occasionally get a decent down the field gain here and there, but he doesn't give opposing defenses a consistent threat in the mid-to long range passing game. On the other hand, Brunell is more of a game manager, and he does this fairly well, specializing in shorter touch passes.

The big variable is turnovers. This season so far, Brunell has done a much better job of protecting the ball than Ramsey, but this should be taken with a grain of salt, as Ramsey has been called on to make more high risk passes against better defenders. Also, while that has been the case this year, it certainly wasn;t the case last year, when Brunell turned it over quite a bit. It remains to be seen how Brunell will do in this area against starting defenses over the course of a few games. It has been noted that he did make a couple of bad throws against Chicago that could certainly have been picked.

Overall, I prefer what Ramsey brings to the table. The problem I see with what Gibbs likes to do with Brunell is that we too frequently try to squeek out a win with as few points as possible, leaving it to the defense to win games. Sure we beat Chicago, but if not for the defense, and the fans, it could easily have been a loss. We simply let our opponents stay in the game too long, and in todays NFL, that is not a recipe for success. I think Ramsey gives us the best chance to reverse our fortunes last season. And hey, we certainly couldn't do any worse.

:2cents:

The "rejuvenated" Mark Brunell, who looked good against second string opposition in the preseason, who completed one pass over twenty yards last season, is going to lead us to the playoffs? When Brunell tells his receiver to go deep, he means seven yards.

Mark Brunell: No mistakes. No production. $42 mil down the drain.

From what I SAW in the preseason and first game, I'd start Ramsey.

:hammer: You need to learn to pull your head out of your :moon: and see what's actually happening out there on the field.

And like I've said before, please grow a brain.

This is a violation of rule #5. Actions such as this will result in being banned either temporarily or permanently, depending on your history of previous violations.

To ALL users of Extremeskins, please take the time to read the Updated Rules.

Thanks,

-ES Staff

I just dont think that ramsey is that consistant. He can make great throws and then he backs it up with an interseption. As long as Brunell is able to move well and not throwing ball at the feet of the wideouts I thing brunell is the smart choice for at least this game. if nothing else he has better feet then ramsey and can get out of trouble.:dallasuck

I'm an apostle of Gibbs: if he says Brunnel is the best bet for this team, then I'll allow for his slight edge in expertise... :laugh:

But man, Ramsey is a class act -- and our "homegrown" QB -- it would have been nice to see him succeed.

Would have been nice to see him period..

I can't answer this poll. I'm not sure PR is the right qb for this team, but I don't believe JB gave him an honest try. I know for a fact, despite whatever JB "thinks" he sees, tha MB has no arn and is not the qb for this team at this time. The best qb, considering that JB obviously hates PR is Jason Campbell. But I wouldn't subject a DOG, to JB's wishy-washy lying.

That said -- think we should forfeit the rest of the season and work on getting a COACH!

:doh:

Yeah, but he can't get the ball in the end zone! Remember that place! That's the place where the give you 6 points for scoring a TOUCHDOWN -- That's the spot where games are won. If you score is field goas -- you are going to lose more games. ramsey, can do better than brunell on any day! He deserves a real shot.

I can't answer this poll. I'm not sure PR is the right qb for this team, but I don't believe JB gave him an honest try. I know for a fact, despite whatever JB "thinks" he sees, tha MB has no arn and is not the qb for this team at this time. The best qb, considering that JB obviously hates PR is Jason Campbell. But I wouldn't subject a DOG, to JB's wishy-washy lying.

That said -- think we should forfeit the rest of the season and work on getting a COACH!

:doh:

Who is JB? James Brown? And what does he have to do with the Skins?

I'd like to see Ramsey, and I hope we'll see him again. I don't have any confidence in Brunell being able to move the offense, but I hope he does nonetheless. I think Ramsey may yet be able to settle down and correct his problems with turnovers, and his doing so is the best chance that the Skins have in the short term.

patrick ramsey looked crisp but still had two fumbles and one int in the first quarter thats exactly what gibbs was looking for. is he going to turn it over, like he did in the preseason. If he does, well, we might have to put in brunell. and low and behold he gets a pick right away and then on the next drive fumble then again later on the clothesline fumble. I dont care whether someoen is tearing your eyes out with a cleet you hold on to the football. patrick doesnt hold onto it, it flies out of his hands like he doesnt even want it anymore once hes hit. hes a liablility and gibbs knows it and cant risk it with the great team he has this year. go skins go brunell untill he gets hurt then.... go ramsey

Archived