Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dallas trades for Scott Fujita

SkinsTillIDie

"Also, the Cowboys traded for Kansas City linebacker Scott Fujita, a fourth-year veteran who led the Chiefs in tackles the last two seasons. But Fujita, who has 41 career starts in 48 games, was likely expendable after Kansas City drafted former Texas Longhorn Derrick Johnson.

The Cowboy sent the Chiefs a sixth-round pick in 2006 and a conditional pick in 2007. "

http://dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=1E13832C-BFDC-9D5C-87B79998BBD142EB

Down To 53

Cowboys Trim 17 Players From Roster; Close With Price

Mickey Spagnola - Email

DallasCowboys.com Columnist

September 3, 2005 4:58 PM

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells said this is the toughest time of the season, and after much agonizing all day Friday and most of the day on Saturday, he trimmed 17 guys from his roster to reach the NFL-mandated 53-player limit by the 5 p.m. deadline on Saturday.

The Cowboys appear close to signing free-agent wide receiver Peerless Price. The six-year veteran, who met with Parcells Friday morning, is expected to sign a one-year deal this weekend. Price's best season came in 2002 with the Bills, catching 94 passes for 1,252 yards and nine touchdowns with Drew Bledsoe as his quarterback. Price was released by the Falcons this week after two years in Atlanta.

Most notable among the 15 players cut were deep snapper Jeff Robinson, defensive tackle Leo Carson, safety Lynn Scott and offensive linemen Kurt Vollers, and Tyson Walter.

Also, the Cowboys traded for Kansas City linebacker Scott Fujita, a fourth-year veteran who led the Chiefs in tackles the last two seasons. But Fujita, who has 41 career starts in 48 games, was likely expendable after Kansas City drafted former Texas Longhorn Derrick Johnson.

The Cowboy sent the Chiefs a sixth-round pick in 2006 and a conditional pick in 2007.

Plus, the Cowboys decided to place rookie safety Justin Beriault and outside linebacker Kalen Thornton on season-ending injured reserve, enabling them to retain their rights for next year. Beriault likely will have surgery to repair damaged meniscus in his right knee that has been bothering him most of the summer. Thornton has been limited nearly all summer by a bad knee.

Here is a list of the players the Cowboys released:

RB Erik Bickerstaff

DT Leo Carson

SS Rich Coady

WR Tom Crowder

TE Tony Curtis

SS Woody Dantzler

RB Keylon Kincade

PK Nick Novak

LB Keith O'Neil

DS Jeff Robinson

TE Sean Ryan

OL Matt Tarullo

OT Kurt Vollers

OL Tyson Walter

FS Lynn Scott

Place on Injured Reserve

SS Justin Beriault

LB Kalen Thornton

Traded For:

OLB Scott Fujita (from Kansas City)

Fujita played on the Chiefs defence in the last 4 years and looked to be expendable with the Chiefs using the top pick to sure up his possition .... ermm WB what have you been smoking or are you really a closet Cboy fan....:)

Cant hide from the truth.

I like the move a lot.

We need depth at the LB spot in the worst way right about now and getting a very solid veteran like this was just what the doctor ordered.

Fujita played on the Chiefs defence in the last 4 years and looked to be expendable with the Chiefs using the top pick to sure up his possition .... ermm WB what have you been smoking or are you really a closet Cboy fan....:)

Correction he only played 3 years

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/09/03/kansas_city_trades_lb_scott_fujita_to_dallas/

Hella stats for a 5th round Pick.......wow we gave up a 6th round pick for a 5th rounder that has produced on a crappy team. The skins cut a 5th round LB that was supposed to be solid, true leader, strong player a beast in many of their fans eyes.

WOW WHAT A DAY

Cant hide from the truth.

I like the move a lot.

We need depth at the LB spot in the worst way right about now and getting a very solid veteran like this was just what the doctor ordered.

you do need depth ill give you that, the 3-4 defense is gonna be costly to your team, i'm not saying that cuz i hate the cowboys, im saying it cuz you dont have the personnel to run it....

And oh yea, you MIGHT wanna change your username, HeHateMe is now known as HeLoveMe :laugh: , a friend told me about that today

Correction he only played 3 years

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/09/03/kansas_city_trades_lb_scott_fujita_to_dallas/

Hella stats for a 5th round Pick.......wow we gave up a 6th round pick for a 5th rounder that has produced on a crappy team. The skins cut a 5th round LB that was supposed to be solid, true leader, strong player a beast in many of their fans eyes.

WOW WHAT A DAY

lol, who says hella???? only So Cal stoners :laugh:

you do need depth ill give you that, the 3-4 defense is gonna be costly to your team, i'm not saying that cuz i hate the cowboys, im saying it cuz you dont have the personnel to run it....

And oh yea, you MIGHT wanna change your username, HeHateMe is now known as HeLoveMe :laugh: , a friend told me about that today

The 3-4 will be just as costly to us as it was to the Chargers who made the switch last year. We DO have the personnel to run a 3-4 or 4-3 which is why most consider our offseason a success. If we don't have the personnel please explain how were deficient? :rolleyes:

Well, Fujita brings the size we need and he is a solid veteran at this point.

Add him to the rookies we have and it makes a nice addition that was sorely needed.

As opposed to some player we just plucked from another team's practice squad or that just got cut.

I like the move because of the minimal price that was paid, but with every move, we have to wait and see.

As for my username, check the link below.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112042

Our personel is not what it will be a year from now, but it is off to an amazing start. Our draft netted us a pass rushing hybrid backer, two massive ends with a ton of ability, and another bigger LB with Playmaking ability.

Not to mention the Fujita aquisition.

We are such a better defense right now than we have been since the mid 90s. Our talent level is light years where it was last year.

Our defense will get better as the season goes on. The young players should only get better.

nice pickup but lets no go ga ga over his leading the team in tackles on a crap d...like i said nice pickup for depth on the new scheme....whats the condition if the 7th rounder? plays a lot of games and it becomes a 6 or 5?

Marcus Washington = a tackling machine that came from a weak defense (Indianapolis Colts).

Scott Fujita may turn out to be a solid addition but if I'm a 'boyz fan I wouldn't get too excited. You generally do not get better by picking up players after the cutdown date.

Also, you would think that a horrible defensive team like the Chiefs would go to great lengths to hold on to even marginally talented players.

But unlike Fujita, the Colts actually wanted to keep this guy.

Kinda like you guys wanted to keep Smoot and Pierce but you knew you could not afforde them. Kind alike the Chiefs new they would not be able to afford Fujita after this season due to his play.

Point is we got a starte that was drafted in the 5th round (Like McCune), and we got him for a 6th round pick.

Kinda like you guys wanted to keep Smoot and Pierce but you knew you could not afforde them. Kind alike the Chiefs new they would not be able to afford Fujita after this season due to his play.

Point is we got a starte that was drafted in the 5th round (Like McCune), and we got him for a 6th round pick.

This is high comedy. So you believe that KC expected him to play so well that they were afraid they wouldn't be able to resign him and they wanted to get something for him? I see. So why wouldn't you get that great season out of him and THEN let him walk? I think that season would be worth the 6th rounder you forgo by having him play and dominate. Especially, to a team that didn't have too many good defensive performances to go around.

Fujita obviously WASNT wanted by KC. The guy was going to be cut. He was passed on the depth chart by every LB on the team. He then was traded.

How is that in any way analagous to the Smoot and Pierce situation? 2 players who we wanted to keep but got offers we weren't willing to match from other teams?

Archived