Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Giants worried about Eli's elbow injury (Merged)

bubba9497

Giants worried about Eli's elbow injury

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4796404?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning will have further tests on the right elbow he injured Saturday night in a 27-21 victory over Carolina, coach Tom Coughlin said Sunday.

Manning woke up Sunday with soreness in the elbow, Coughlin said. The second-year quarterback had an MRI and is scheduled to be examined by team orthopedist Dr. Russell Warren on Monday.

"Our situation is we want to wait until the complete exam is concluded," Coughlin said. "We're very concerned. Any time a quarterback has soreness in his elbow there is concern. It's not like he woke up and was out there throwing and you were getting reports that there was nothing to it."

Manning was injured in the second quarter when Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers came from Manning's right side and slapped the ball out of his hand as he was about to throw it. Peppers recovered the fumble and ran 29 yards for a touchdown.

Manning stayed in the game and threw a 41-yard touchdown pass to Amani Toomer on the Giants' next series, but said his elbow was bothering him on the sideline before he re-entered the game.

"It felt a little funny, but I knew I could still go in there and throw the ball," he said. "I didn't throw it great on the touchdown. I didn't get quite enough on it, but I got enough to get it there."

Giants cornerback Will Peterson, who injured his knee in the first quarter and left the game, was diagnosed with an MCL sprain, Coughlin said.

KFFL - Giants | Manning Going for More Tests

Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:04:24 -0700

The Associated Press reports New York Giants QB Eli Manning (elbow) woke up Sunday morning, Aug. 21, with more pain in his injured elbow. Manning had an MRI and is scheduled to be examined by team orthopedist Dr. Russell Warren on Monday, Aug. 22. "Our situation is we want to wait until the complete exam is concluded," head coach Tom Coughlin said. "We're very concerned. Any time a quarterback has soreness in his elbow there is concern. It's not like he woke up and was out there throwing and you were getting reports that there was nothing to it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2139902

Manning to have further tests on sprained elbow

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Acknowledging that the team is "very concerned" about the sprained elbow suffered by Eli Manning on Saturday night, New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Sunday that the starting quarterback will require further tests to settle on a definitive opinion about the extent of the injury.

Manning awakened Sunday with soreness and pain in the elbow, which was injured in the second quarter of Saturday's preseason game, when the New York quarterback was hit by Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers as he was about to throw a pass. Manning underwent an MRI on Sunday and, while Coughlin described the injury as a "sprain," he allowed that a full analysis will not be available until Monday, when team physician Dr. Russell Warren examines the elbow.

"I'm very concerned," said Coughlin, who spoke to team trainer Ronnie Barnes, but not Manning, about the injury. "Any time you have a quarterback who has soreness in his elbow, there is concern about the injury. It's not like he just woke up and was out there throwing, and you were getting reports that there was nothing to it."

The injury occurred when Peppers slapped the ball away from Manning, recovered the fumble, and returned it 29 yards for a touchdown. Manning remained in the game and threw a 1-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Amani Toomer. But on the touchdown pass, it appeared that Manning slightly underthrew the open Toomer, and afterwards he complained on the sideline about the soreness in his elbow.

Manning later said that it felt as if he was "throwing air" and said his elbow felt "funny."

Coughlin said that he hoped the fact Manning was able to throw the touchdown pass to Toomer, even after the Peppers play, was a positive sign. But he also conceded that, until Dr. Warren makes a full analysis of the injury, everything is mere speculation.

Asked if he might be forced to give Manning a week or two off, Coughlin said he could not yet make such a judgment.

"I'm not going to project anything like that," he said. "I have no idea. I'm just hoping for the best, [but] I'm going to wait for the experts to tell me."

Coughlin allowed that protection for Manning, even by a markedly upgraded Giants offensive line, has been a concern. He also acknowledged that the injury could amplify the importance of signing an experienced backup quarterback. The current backups are Tim Hasselbeck, Jesse Palmer and Jared Lorenzen.

Hasselbeck is 15-for-30 for 183 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in two preseason games.

Palmer was 2-for-3 for 20 yards and an interception in the Giants' 17-14 loss to Cleveland on Aug. 13 and did not play against Carolina.

The Giants have been exploring the possibility of adding a more veteran quarterback to the depth chart and met late last week with former Cleveland Browns starter Tim Couch, who continues to rehabilitate from February shoulder surgery. Coughlin did say that he was "very impressed" with Hasselbeck's performance on Saturday night.

But he also said that the injury to Manning, even if deemed benign, "certainly does" point out the importance of having an experienced No. 2 quarterback.

Said Coughlin: "This is something that we never really want to discuss. You continue to want me to speculate [about Manning]. But I'm not speculating about anything. I'm just hoping for the best [and] waiting for what the doctors have to say."

In addition to the Manning injury, the Giants lost starting cornerback Will Peterson to a sprained medial collateral ligament, Coughlin confirmed. It is not yet known how long Peterson will miss.

arghhh... Didn't know about this new forum. Sorry for the repost.

That's ok. I think I only had 2 of your posts to move. :laugh:

Actually, it is a brand new forum. Keeps all the T.O. stories out of the way for those people looking to discuss Redskins news. :)

Alright, I want to preface my ramblings by first stating that I AM a Ramsey fan.

Given the potential meltdown in New York (i.e. Manning's elbow), we may have a unique opportunity where we have a team that is severely lacking where we seem to have some newfound depth. This may be the only time Gibbs will have to pull a reasonable trade for Ramsey. Let's be honest, Brunell and Campbell are his guys...not Ramsey. This would give Brunell one more year (perhaps two) to shine while Campbell gets his pro legs in order.

Now for the trade...who do we want? Pierce and a draft pick. End of discussion.

And I honestly believe this would be the best thing for Ramsey as well. Jesse Palmer and Tim Hasselback....Hasselback has some potential but can't touch Ramsey right now. The Giants need Ramsey and Ramsey needs (and deserves) a fresh start.

As someone said earlier, I too really like Hasselbeck.....

You want a bold prediction, if Hasselbeck is given a chance, I really think he an come in there and lead the Giants into the Playoffs.....my reason for saying that is that I really think he gets looked over because he does not have a cannon of an arm, pretty short for a QB and he can move but is nothing close to a Mcnabb or Vick.......basically he is avergae in every aspect of qualities you look for in QB......

However I really feel that he has that one quality that is really important in a QB, poise....when ever he was in there I just really liked how he played.....I think he really has a chance to do some good for the Giants, and pull out a nice string of wins for the Giants........

either way, I know this....he is underrated and if he is in there the line for Giants games are going to be way off........i love the Gmen if Eli is out for a while.........

Archived