Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Week's Post Game Merged Ramsey Threads

boobiemiles

Umm, since when did we start thinking of touch passes as some sort of luxury? This is a fundamental and it's not something you just add into a gameplan. Gunning the ball means just as many picks except this time they will be line drives to the DBs instead of floaters. Does anyone remember the amount of batted passes Ramsey had last year? It was unusually high for a NFL starter.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Yeah, I'm sure our play calling is along the lines of "Interception left, interception right". We don't want to show too much in the preseason. :rolleyes:

Umm, there were two picks, one which was totally Ramsey's fault. The other was the product of going downfield all the time. Ramsey let the ball get away. That happens to all QBs. However, if you're going deep all the time, you'll get more picks. The tradeoff is big yardage. If you get that, it CAN be worth it. Kind of like trading off strikeouts for homers.

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

can we STOP making excuses? Please, just stop.

Drops happen. They effect the outcome of the game. deal with it.

Interceptions happen, they effect the outcome of the game. deal with it.

Poor decision making happens, it effects the outcome of the game. Ramsey did it tonight. deal with it.

That's loser talk.

Originally posted by D'Pablo

Umm, since when did we start thinking of touch passes as some sort of luxury? This is a fundamental and it's not something you just add into a gameplan. Gunning the ball means just as many picks except this time they will be line drives to the DBs instead of floaters. Does anyone remember the amount of batted passes Ramsey had last year? It was unusually high for a NFL starter.

When I say touch passes I mean the Jake Delhomme floater type things he was trying to throw at time tonight. As far as not being able to throw the ball hard in this league and have success? Do the names Elway and Farve mean anything to you? That's not to say Ramsey is in the same league as them, but they both threw that way a lot and had great success. It is possible to be efficient that way.

Originally posted by authentic

oh yeah.. i almost forgot one thing....

I'd wish these people would STFU!!!, if you let most of these folks tell it, its like he's the worst QB in the world. No, he didn't have a perfect game, but Lord it think 9-18 for 190 yds isn't chopped liver.

The important thing to recognize is that these people are really mostly interested in winning an argument on an internet message board. They take a position, and then they defend that position to the point of lunacy. I don't think they particularly care whether the team wins or loses. Being a "Sports Fan" is kind of the way in which they derive their identity in the world. These are the same people for whom going to the stadium is all about getting drunk and screaming, and not really about the game of football at all. Actually, if the team started winning, I think they would be disappointed because they would lose their excuse to vent all the pent-up rage, frustration and hatred that results from their otherwise miserable lives. The kind of people who brought about my decision to stop going to games in person are the same ones who are always screaming for somebody's head on here. They suck all the enjoyment out of sports and turn it into something that's more of a pain in the ass than anything else.

ACtually, no. One of the reasons Patrick could get away in the past with bullet passes is that the defenders simply can't catch them.

The question is what KIND of touch are you asking for and is it needed? I can dig up clips of Pat showing it last year. Thing is, does he need to be MR. Touch or does he merely need to display it at times?

It's a good question, but I think we can get away with a unique situation like that.

Umm, there were two picks, one which was totally Ramsey's fault. The other was the product of going downfield all the time. Ramsey let the ball get away. That happens to all QBs. However, if you're going deep all the time, you'll get more picks. The tradeoff is big yardage. If you get that, it CAN be worth it. Kind of like trading off strikeouts for homers.

Didn't the Bengals Score 14 points off 2 Ramsey ints Goldy??

In the case of this game it certainly wasn't Worth it

So, let's look at the bottom line here. What was Ramsey's starter rating last year? 86.1. That's 15th, right behind Warner. Of course, he did it against a playoff schedule, i.e., against teams that average nine wins. Brunell started his nine games against opponents that averaged around six wins. If Ramsey plays those scrub teams, his rating easily jumps to 92, which is what a guy named Brett Favre registered in 2004.

Please don't start nitpicking, man, when the bottom line tells a different story.

Originally posted by goldenster95

They were both his fault. A pick in scoring territory is not acceptable.

Originally posted by vegeta613

Didn't the Bengals Score 14 points off 2 Ramsey ints Goldy??

In the case of this game it certainly wasn't Worth it

If they did, they scored against our second stringers. I'm not saying that the sting and gravity of Ramsey's picks can somehow be mitigated, but I'm just saying that when you take a look at the second one, there's some type of explanation for it.

And if Moss catches that perfectly thrown ball from Ramsey, things might've been much different. Yes, Ramsey did screw up, especially with that pick in the end zone. But others critically screwed up as well, screws up that did affect him.

Originally posted by goldenster95

:laugh: It's for a point. I'm willing to admit that Brunell got screwed by folks who looked like they got paid off by the Pat Ramsey Fan Club.

Hey bro, this may come as earth shattering to you, but I was never a Brunell supporter. I started a thread last season that said pretty much why bring in Pat. He came in, and went 3 for 4 in games, of which his lack of play lost at least two of those single handed.

I agree last year that Brunell needed to go when he did, but I was behind Gibbs, knowing that he didn't bring in Ramsey because he thought he had a better chance to win with Brunell. I'm hoping that Mark can keep his play, at the level it is right now, and at least we will have some chance of winning this season.

The writing is on the wall here.

Pat looked good at times, and made some nice throws. The problem is, he is consistantly inconsistent in everything he does. It's been that way since he came threw the door at Redskin Park. I hope he gets better in the next coming weeks, I just don't see it happening.

:2cents:

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Yeah, well this is one tradeoff I'd decline. Ramsey had 1 TD, and that came from the 30 yard line after a turnover. The Bengals had 14 points off Ramsey's picks. He basically cost us the game.

Not a bad point except for the fact that this was clearly not a legit offense that Ramsey would be playing in during the year. No Portis and a Spurrier renaissance contributed to what Ramsey did as to his second pick. No excuse for that first pick, no matter what offense you're in.

Originally posted by feeshta

When I say touch passes I mean the Jake Delhomme floater type things he was trying to throw at time tonight. As far as not being able to throw the ball hard in this league and have success? Do the names Elway and Farve mean anything to you? That's not to say Ramsey is in the same league as them, but they both threw that way a lot and had great success. It is possible to be efficient that way.

Sure Elway and Favre mean something to me... Accuracy on the deep ball. Accuracy comes from being able to drop the ball in the right place where the receiver has a chance to grab it. The receiver's chances to catch the ball are infinitely higher if there is touch on the pass. Remember that Delhomme is also lauded for his arm strength and up until 2 seasons ago, he had only started 6 games in the NFL. His style wins games. Point being that Ramsey's "style" didn't win us games last year and he should be a lot better at this point in his career. I've defended this guy for too long.

Originally posted by CHUBAKAH

Hey bro, this may come as earth shattering to you, but I was never a Brunell supporter. I started a thread last season that said pretty much why bring in Pat. He came in, and went 3 for 4 in games, of which his lack of play lost at least two of those single handed.

I agree last year that Brunell needed to go when he did, but I was behind Gibbs, knowing that he didn't bring in Ramsey because he thought he had a better chance to win with Brunell. I'm hoping that Mark can keep his play, at the level it is right now, and at least we will have some chance of winning this season.

The writing is on the wall here.

Pat looked good at times, and made some nice throws. The problem is, he is consistantly inconsistent in everything he does. It's been that way since he came threw the door at Redskin Park. I hope he gets better in the next coming weeks, I just don't see it happening.

:2cents:

He may in fact tank, but he was pretty consistent given the Fun N Gun type of offense he played in tonight. Passes all the time and deep passes to boot.

One thing to clear up here as well. It is my belief that whether Ramsey becomes successfull with this type of thing may be the determining factor in whether he remains here after this year.

A QB who has poor touch on the ball can be effective when utilized to his strengths which I believe the coaches will do. But.... you don't usually win championships with a guy who has in incomplete game. Coach Gibbs is intent on making this team a true contender again, and to do that he needs a really good, not an average QB. Ramsey is already that average QB, and could become that really good QB if he can learn these skills and become less one dimensional and more of a complete QB. But if he doesn't, then we have a backup plan in Campbell.

I think Gibbs sees potential in Ramsey and is trying to extract it. But he isn't stupid enough to bet the future of his ball club on whether or not Ramsey comes through with shinning colors. I think Coach Gibbs sees in Campbell all of the things that Ramsey struggles with. With Campbell it's more of a matter of polishing those skills, than teaching them almost from scratch.

I think people are confusing two issues here.

Issue 1: Is Ramsey the FUTURE QB of the Washington Redskins

Issue 2: Is Ramsey the most capable QB of helping the Redskins win in 2005

In all honesty, as much as I love Ramsey and have been behind him, I will concede that the answer to Issue One is a big fat, I DON"T KNOW, however as far as Issue #2 goes, Stop blaming injuries for Brunell's performance last season, Hell Ramsey played all of 2003 with broken bones in his foot and he didn't get any slack for it. Again, Brunell was playing against 3rd and 4th stringers, and on one of the drivers the Skins STARTING offensive line was in the game. Ramsey wasn't spectacular tonight, but he definately showed me that he is more at ease with the deep ball. He still needs lots of work with the WRs as far as route running, anticipation, and timing, but I saw a definate upgrade over last week ala our offense moving the ball down the field.

Archived