Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Its ONLY Preseason

sugewhite94

Yes, but the colts are a veteran team with a QB that needs the preseason just to stretch his legs. That is not true with our team. It is the preseason and it is the first game of the preseason. I liked what I saw from the offense except from the QB play. I am encouraged by the Oline/WR's/ RB's and HB's. Sellers dropped one ball, but played well otherwise. I was disappointed in the QB play and dismissing it offhand because it was just the preseason is not correct. I am hoping for some improvement next Friday.

To add, did anyone watch the Colts game? Maybe Manning played one drive and just got a field goal out of it, but otherwise played well during that one drive. The Packers lost their preseason game on Thursday, but Favre looked good the short time he was in there. That is what I expect from our QB's.

The problem is that we need to produce early in pre-season for the confidence factor for this team. I'm sure that the new guys like Moss and Patten are wondering if this is what the future looks like considering they have heard all the stories about Coles and Gardner being unhappy with the system. The Skins were really trying to put up points in this game which is evident in keeping Ramsey in the game for most of the half.

The mental part of the game is very important right now and losing is not the type of behavior we need leading into the season. It's my opinion that Gibbs needs to win these games to get the team behind him. I know most teams don't put much into the wins & losses in preseason but I would out more emphasis going into this critical year for Gibbs. Winning needs to be a habit.

I just worry about the look on Gibbs face during the press conference. He needs some wins as bad as the team. The organization lacks confidence so let's start the trend with a blow out against Cinci next week.

Originally posted by bubba9497

the colts score 3 points.... for goodness sakes :laugh:

Umm, the Colts offense has nothing to prove. The Skins offense has everything to prove. I am not sure what the point of this statement is.

the point is preseason does mean much, it is time to work on problems, get players game experience, evaute player who fill out the bottom 3rd of the Roster.

Has Ramsey played in games with Moss & Patten like Manning and his wrs?

Did we see Portis tonight? no... Gibbs wanted to give Ramsey and the WR some playtime, same for the OL. why? they need the work before the season begins.

The defense gave up 28.... but half the starters where at home.

The defense gave up 28.... but half the starters where at home.

I have no concern about the defense, as you point out it wasn't exactly our started playing tonight. The offense is a major concern.

Originally posted by Craig

Umm, the Colts offense has nothing to prove. The Skins offense has everything to prove. I am not sure what the point of this statement is.

the offense has nothing to prove in preseason ..... if it did Portis would have played..... Gibbs NEVER shows anything in preseason except basics.... the reason things looked like last season, because Gibbs doesn't want to give out what new he's added, before the season starts.

people make to big of deal out of pre-season.

Originally posted by sugewhite94

Calm down people..... its only Preseason....

Thank you. I knew coming in here tonight that I would see a lot of these "trade Ramsey" threads. A friend of mine calls & says "Brunell looks sharp." :laugh: Didn't we go thru this LAST season? Ramsey looked awful in preseason, then was sidelined for the "better looking QB" out there.

Now, the very sight of Brunell even in uniform is enough to send chills down a lot of our spines. Yet, Brunell looked better? :doh:

Let's think here for a second, folks. Gibbs is one of the most secretive coaches in the League. He doesn't like the rest of the world knowing what he is going to do before he does it. Unlike the opposing team coach who opened up a reverse on us. We used the most generic of plays all night. Nothing fancy.

He wasn't trying to win this game. He was trying to get his rookies to step it up. To show their stuff tonight.

If you noticed, the one consistant thing all night was the O-line. No false start penalties, only 1 holding, I believe. Therein lies the success of this team. The front line.

And they were solid.

Originally posted by Fred Jones

To add, did anyone watch the Colts game? Maybe Manning played one drive and just got a field goal out of it, but otherwise played well during that one drive. The Packers lost their preseason game on Thursday, but Favre looked good the short time he was in there. That is what I expect from our QB's.

So you are comparing Ramsey to Manning and Farve. Two guys who have been in their Systems for as long as I can remember...

interesting.

Weird, but true:

Panthers own skins in preseason games 3-1 and skins own panthers in regular season games 6-1....

John Foxx seems to put a lot a importance on preseason wins.... the Panther's currently have a 9 game winning streak for preseason games going back to 2002... best in the NFL...

Originally posted by skinswin'emALL

John Foxx seems to put a lot a importance on preseason wins.... the Panther's currently have a 9 game winning streak for preseason games going back to 2002... best in the NFL...

Good point. That's something that the announcers should have spoken about. The nine game winning streak isn't just a fluke, it shows that they play pre-season games to win.

We know that for Joe Gibbs, pre-season is about evaluation and preparation. The final score doesn't matter.

Originally posted by SkinsNatsFan

Good point. That's something that the announcers should have spoken about. The nine game winning streak isn't just a fluke, it shows that they play pre-season games to win.

We know that for Joe Gibbs, pre-season is about evaluation and preparation. The final score doesn't matter.

Edit -- it's actually a 10 game winning streak after last night...

I'm new to this board, having just discovered it a short time ago. I hate for my first post to be a negative one but here goes...

I have seen alot of comment in the nature of "it's only pre-season, Gibbs is holding back, they are running vannila plays, etc..." While all of that is true I don't believe those arguments really hold water.

When Coach Gibbs does go full bore and runs his complete offense, those plays will be designed for players to get open, to put them in a situation to succeed. Well guess what...even with the vanilla offense last night, guys were open. Moss was open deep, Patten was open on two out patterns for first downs and Ramsey missed them and missed them badly.

That too can be chalked up to it being early and needing to get the timing...etc. My main concern is Ramsey still doesn't look comfortable. He just seems skittish. Even when the line picks up the blitz, he looks like he thinks he's about to get drilled in the ribs any second.

What other choices do we have? Brunell? Please. I saw way too many 4 yard passes fall at the running backs feet. Too many recievers so open downfield that you could've punted the ball to them and it would've been completed but Brunell found away to get an incompleteion. Maybe he is a servicable back-up but even that might be gving too much credit.

Campbell? Who knows. History says he is not going to be very good when he first gets in there. The history of the NFL just shows the it takes the quarterbacs some time, with a few excemptions to the contrary.

Gibbs is not Norv Turner. He does not need a a Pro Bowler to win. But he does need somone decent. Someone competent. I think it still remains to be seen if Ramsey can live up to even that modest goal.

Guest sith lord

the colts score 3 points.... for goodness sakes :laugh:

We're not the Colts and Ramsey is not Manning. When does the excuses end?

Originally posted by sith lord

We're not the Colts and Ramsey is not Manning. When does the excuses end?

They won't. If there's one thing I've learned from being on this site for a long time now, it's that there will always be a select group of people who will defend ANY player regardless of performance. If Ramsey is still playing poorly come week 9 of the season there will still be people here supporting him, just like with Brunell.

I'm not sitting here ready to bench Ramsey after one preseason game, but I'm also not turning my head completely the other way like some of you here.

Preseason doesn't mean much, but it certainly means something, especially when the mistakes we're seeing are the same mistakes from his rookie year.

Archived