Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Class 2001 almost gone

newskinsowner

The class is almost gone (all on McCants now) and this wasnt a crappy class either to be honest with you.

Potential wise i think this could have been one of our best draft classes in years prior to 2004.

what do you think?

1. Rod Gardner, WR, Clemson

2. Fred Smoot, CB, Mississippi St.

4. Sage Rosenfels, QB, Iowa St.

5. Darnerien McCants, WR, Delaware St.

6. Mario Monds, DT, Cincinnati

LOL. Good post, didn't even realize that. By next year, this entire draft class will be wiped out. This shows exactly what our problem is. We don't develop out drafts and we don't even keep our home grown talent. Smoot should still be here, and we have not let McCants show consistantly what he can do. Things better change in regards to this, or we will never be good.

Originally posted by AKM311

LOL. Good post, didn't even realize that. By next year, this entire draft class will be wiped out. This shows exactly what our problem is. We don't develop out drafts and we don't even keep our home grown talent. Smoot should still be here, and we have not let McCants show consistantly what he can do. Things better change in regards to this, or we will never be good.

Its just one draft. Many teams have only 1 or two players left from a recent entire draft class.

Originally posted by newskinsowner

The class is almost gone (all on McCants now) and this wasnt a crappy class either to be honest with you.

Potential wise i think this could have been one of our best draft classes in years prior to 2004.

what do you think?

1. Rod Gardner, WR, Clemson

2. Fred Smoot, CB, Mississippi St.

4. Sage Rosenfels, QB, Iowa St.

5. Darnerien McCants, WR, Delaware St.

6. Mario Monds, DT, Cincinnati

Outside of smoot it sucked.. I'm not sure waht your talking about dude ;p.. I think McCants has a lot of talent he needs to show Gibbs he deserves a shot.

Originally posted by Gothtimus

Outside of smoot it sucked.. I'm not sure waht your talking about dude ;p.. I think McCants has a lot of talent he needs to show Gibbs he deserves a shot.

I said the group had good potential. Actually Gardner,Smoot, and McCants flashed plenty of potential (obviously not all in the same year) but still you cant over look Gardner big year as a second year player McCants redzone productivity in '03 and Smoot's from '01 to '04. Heck even the Dolphins thought so much of Rosenfels they gave us a 7th round draft pick for him ;) which prob. couped Rock Cartwright.

Originally posted by AKM311

Smoot should still be here, .......Things better change in regards to this, or we will never be good.

It does not help to keep drafted talent at new contract prices which exceed market value. I believe that the Vikings overpaid Smoot and I am glad that Gibbs & Co. kept to a disciplined budget for future cap management. This is what we have needed for the last few years is a fiscal conservative managing our future cap. Gibbs will get the most talent for the dollar.

Originally posted by TLusby

It does not help to keep drafted talent at new contract prices which exceed market value. I believe that the Vikings overpaid Smoot and I am glad that Gibbs & Co. kept to a disciplined budget for future cap management. This is what we have needed for the last few years is a fiscal conservative managing our future cap. Gibbs will get the most talent for the dollar.

I agree, but you also have to look at all other draft classes frm 2002 and before and note when we have kept out own. We love getting new players and showing them the money, but not our own. Sometimes its not so much about talent, but creating a team atmosphere and having continuity and chemistry. We don't have that and haven't in a long time.

Originally posted by newskinsowner

Heck even the Dolphins thought so much of Rosenfels they gave us a 7th round draft pick for him ;)

These would be those same brilliant Dolphins who gave up a 2nd round pick for perenniel scrub Jay Feeley....

We got our only good pick, Smoot, because his value fell due to a bogus MJ investigation. Hopefully McCants will get his opportunity with Gibbs this year and be the #3 WR, which would make him a steal for a 5th rounder.

Gardner may not have been as big of a bust as most of Casserly's #1s, but we could've drafted:

Chad Johnson

Chris Chambers

or even ....Santana Moss

All of these guys were drafted by Marty and he felt they fit his type of team. We are now two coaches removed from Marty. As AKM311 mentioned, there is a continuity factor involved here in addition to the fact that players move around a lot more nowadays. It's an interesting stat by itself but I think there are several other teams that have gone through the same thing. I don't believe it was bad drafting at the time, I think changes within the team and the organization as a whole brought about this result.

Moss hasn't done anything for us yet ... so don't give ouy praise till we get some production. If he ends up injured most of the time then he will be a bust with one good year and some glimpses of brilliance at other times that didn't pan out ... and we have had a bunch of receivers like that ... so let's hope for the best and see how he performs after this season.

Originally posted by Jimbo

All of these guys were drafted by Marty and he felt they fit his type of team. We are now two coaches removed from Marty. As AKM311 mentioned, there is a continuity factor involved here in addition to the fact that players move around a lot more nowadays. It's an interesting stat by itself but I think there are several other teams that have gone through the same thing. I don't believe it was bad drafting at the time, I think changes within the team and the organization as a whole brought about this result.

Bingo...

Archived