Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider Scouts inc. NFC East

Mooka

"Washington Redskins

Although 2004 was understandably a learning year for head coach Joe Gibbs and his staff, you get the feeling they will make the necessary adjustments heading into the 2005 season. They still will utilize a lot of one-back and two-TE sets with motion and also will use their TE's on a lot of blocking schemes, but they will change a little bit of their run game philosophy with Clinton Portis.

Portis really struggled to run the Redskins' traditional "counter trey" a year ago, because it requires a lot of patience on the part of the running back to give it time to develop. Portis is a speed back who likes to hit the hole on the run, and patience is not his strength. For a guy who has explosiveness and big-play capabilities, he only averaged 3.8 yards a carry. That's not good enough, and we will see the Redskins utilize more stretch plays and straight-ahead running plays in order to maximize his skills.

The Redskins have a new offensive coordinator, Bill Musgrave, a proponent of the West Coast offense, and he will use a fairly safe, conservative passing game to move the chains. The challenge for the Redskins, though, will be that they may again be forced to use a lot of max-protection schemes like they did a year ago to protect QB Patrick Ramsey, and that limits their ability to spread the field. Also, their receivers are small and not very physical, and they will struggle vs. press coverages, so we may see a lot more motion and shifting of their WR's in an effort to get away from the jam.

This is an offense that needs to run the football to let the defense rest and to play smarter than it did a year ago, when Washington was the most penalized team in the NFL. We will see fewer counter-trey and trap plays, but there is a lot of work to be done in training camp.

Defensively, coordinator Gregg Williams did a tremendous job a year ago with only average personnel. He utilized a philosophy that emphasized blitzes from all over the field and also did a lot of pre-snap shifting along the defensive line to confuse offensive blocking schemes. After the snap, the team played a lot of one-gap penetrating techniques. The end result was a defensive line that played much better than its talent level indicated.

In the secondary, the Redskins will play a lot of Cover-1 schemes and will blitz their corners off the edge more than you might think to try to bring pressure.

This defensive unit should be good again, especially if the offense can control the clock. The pressure will be on offensive coordinator Musgrave to make the offense more efficient and accomplish that.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football "

sorry bout no link you need a password.

Finally someone who doesn't get into complications. Simply put, our defense will do its job, its up to our offense to produce, and hopefully the addition of Bill Musgrave will help.

Originally posted by FLSKINSFAN

Musgrave is not the offensive coordinator, this is not his offense. Musgrave is the qb coach, he will have some input on offense, but It's still Joe Gibbs' offense and he's still calling the plays.

My thoughts exactly. This makes the whole article kinda worthless IMHO.

Originally posted by Mooka

This is an offense that needs to run the football to let the defense rest and to play smarter than it did a year ago, when Washington was the most penalized team in the NFL. We will see fewer counter-trey and trap plays, but there is a lot of work to be done in training camp.

Um, no they weren't. The Skins were tied for 15th in # of penalties and tied for 2nd in penalty yards (per NFL.com).

Perhaps he is speaking only of defensive penalties or yards - but I didn't see the qualifier.

Again this is a semi fair piece even though it is filled with inaccuacies. Where is the cheap shot at the front office, or low blow at Gibbs and his old staff? Just when you think you know what to expect from these writers, they change up on ya!

Originally posted by Mooka

The challenge for the Redskins, though, will be that they may again be forced to use a lot of max-protection schemes like they did a year ago to protect QB Patrick Ramsey, and that limits their ability to spread the field.

This I'm not sure I understand.

The writer may or may not be correct here. My question though is why........

Why should the Redskins HAVE to use max protect schemes more than Team X or Team B?

Is it because the writer assumes Patrick is so immobile and makes such slow/bad reads that normal protection won't get the job done?

Or is this because Gibbs just chooses to use max protection as its his belief that such protection is condusive to a poductive offense?

His point is lost on me here.

Originally posted by Whiskeypeet

This I'm not sure I understand.

The writer may or may not be correct here. My question though is why........

Why should the Redskins HAVE to use max protect schemes more than Team X or Team B?

Is it because the writer assumes Patrick is so immobile and makes such slow/bad reads that normal protection won't get the job done?

Or is this because Gibbs just chooses to use max protection as its his belief that such protection is condusive to a poductive offense?

His point is lost on me here.

yea, i always wondered why we gave ramsey such massive protection....

and why do you have an avatar with a paper bag over his head?

Originally posted by budski

because Ramsey runs alot like Bernie Kosar did.

I think that was his point as well.

However, didn't Gibbs run his max protect shemes with Brunell as well? Brunell is/was usually a pretty mobile QB.

I think Gibbs would be running max protection a lot regardless of his QB's limitations/skills.

Archived