Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can anyone help with spyware?

Mooka

I'm trying to clean out my Mom's comp cause she has all this freakin spyware on it. I've downloaded 2 different anti-spyware programs, Ad-aware and Microsoft, but the spyware keeps popping up after the programs delete them.

I've gone to the msconfig menu and looked through all the services and start-up programs one by one. Still gettin all these retarded pop-ups. Now the font is all screwy on IE. (like 5 sizes to big)

Should I just comepletely re-install windows?

After 7,000 of these kinda threads myself I am pretty good at answering these:laugh:.....

www.freedownloads.com

Search for the most updated version of :

Spysweeper

Spybot

Ad-aware

Spyware doctor ( manual remover)

Pest patrol ( manual remover )

SpyGuard ( Not really needed but I use it to prevent my IE security settings from being changed )

If she is NOT already using it PLEASEEeeeeeeeeee download either firefox or My personal fav. MOZILLA

------> www.mozilla.org

It's much safer and the plugin's are all available on their website.......

Between those 5 I still get stuff sometimes ( depends on the website:laugh: ) but out of paranoia I cut back on going to "unknown websites

I do however recommend Spysweeper 3.5 FULL version because the trial only protects you again 34,000 traces where my full version protects against 91,000+

It's only about $20 too.....

I also have Norton AV 05 and Zone Alarm

Edit: typos galore :doh:

Also, it is a good idea, if plagued by spyware issues, to disbable System Restore before conducting the cleansing of your system.

1. Right-click on My Computer and go to Properties

2. Go to the System Restore tab

3. Click "Turn Off System Restore On All Drives."

4. Click Ok

5. Go ahead and run your Spyware removal software, and reboot your computer.

6. If the issue appears resolved, go ahead and renable System Restore by unchecking "Turn Off..."

The Microsoft Spyware removal tool has also proved to be pretty good at removal malware and spyware as well.

Since so many Extremeskins members have been plagued by these issues, would it be possible to create a Spyware FAQ and place it on one of the Forums?

Originally posted by Baculus

Since so many Extremeskins members have been plagued by these issues, would it be possible to create a Spyware FAQ and place it on one of the Forums?

we do....

Go to search....

Type:

Computer geeks KINGBRICE_28

1,000,000,000 RESULTS......

:rolleyes:

Clearly your favorite dinner for this one. And lot's of it. Have to be able to have leftovers. ;)

I have Spysweeper on mine and it works well. Updates are fairly easy to download. And, I have Mozilla. :)

This is the last resort before formatting for any person wanting to rid themselves from spyware, adware, and hijackers.

Download HijackThis from:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Go to this forum: http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

Read the FAQs about how to use the program and see if you can figure out the log file by yourself. If not post your log file and let the users there help you. If they can't do it, have fun reinstalling Windows.

Originally posted by Erigion

This is the last resort before formatting for any person wanting to rid themselves from spyware, adware, and hijackers.

Download HijackThis from:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Go to this forum: http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

Read the FAQs about how to use the program and see if you can figure out the log file by yourself. If not post your log file and let the users there help you. If they can't do it, have fun reinstalling Windows.

I would only do this option if you are well versed in computers or really know what you are doing. Reason being, spyware like to disguise and attach to documents that you need for windows to start up and for your computer to work. If you don't know what you are doing, you will delete something vital AND LOSE EVERYTHING.

How do I know this? Well, nevermind. :(

Also, some spyware is skipped over when running in normal mode. Whatever programs you use, Adaware & Spybot Search and Destroy are the two I used to use.

Get them at www.komando.com

Update their latest definitions, but don't run the scan yet. Reboot into Safe Mode, and then run the scans. Repeat if needs be.

Ever since I got my new computer in Jan. I've only used the free microsoft anti-spyware program.

Haven't seen hide nor hair of them dern spyware.

Archived