Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboys Didnt Stand Pat At Corner This Year

HeHateMe

Once again, your comments, thoughts, and feedback will be appreciated.

Always good to know what the "enemy" thinks.:)

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=0CFC0642-D974-6808-83010B7C428CFF4D

Stepping Up

Cowboys Didn't Stand Pat At Corner This Year

By Nick Eatman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

July 12, 2005, 4:32 PM (CDT)

(Editor's Note: This is the third of a 10-part series, DallasCowboys.com analyzing the Cowboys position-by-position as they begin final preparations for the July 28 start to training camp. Today will feature the cornerbacks.)

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys haven't been "set" at cornerback since Deion Sanders and Kevin Smith were both healthy and atop their games. And that was for about half of the 1998 season.

Since then, it has been one thing after another at cornerback. Sure, the Cowboys might have fixed one side with a Ryan McNeil signing, or by drafting Terence Newman as a rookie, but they've never been able to have both sides solid at the same time.

And last year, when it seemed like all they had to do was find a suitable replacement on the right side opposite of Newman, who was entering his second year, both sides fell flat. Four different players ended up starting on the right side and Newman found himself in a "sophomore slump," often struggling with his confidence.

So here are the Cowboys once again, looking to get both cornerback positions shored up for a change. While they aren't too worried about Newman, who played better at the end of last year and should be able to bounce back, the Cowboys went out of their way to shore up the right side.

The Cowboys doled out some cash at several positions this off-season. But unlike a year ago, they didn't overlook the cornerback position, signing veterans Anthony Henry and Aaron Glenn. The Cowboys spent $11 million on signing bonuses to land the pair of cornerbacks, the position the team was criticized the most for not addressing last year.

On the first day of the free-agent signing period, the Cowboys stepped up to sign Henry to a five-year deal worth $25 million, including a $10 million bonus. A three-year starter in Cleveland, Henry might not have been the biggest name on the market, but the one the Cowboys thought had the most value. He's got the size (6-1, 205 pounds), and to them, that right there set him apart from other available corners such as Fred Smoot and Samari Rolle.

Now size obviously isn't everything at the cornerback position. The Cowboys proved that by signing the 5-9 Glenn, who has been proving that point for the past 12 seasons.

But while Glenn is one of the team's newest additions, he's anything but a stranger, especially to head coach Bill Parcells, whom he played three seasons for with the Jets.

He is yet another of many former Parcells players rejoining their former coach for one more crack at success. Glenn spent his first eight years with the Jets, including the three (1997-99) when Parcells served as head coach. In fact, Glenn earned two of his three Pro Bowl selections while playing under Parcells.

After playing three seasons for Houston, Glenn wasn't out of work for more than a day when the Texans released him for salary cap reasons back in April. While Glenn has started 163 career games, he said he's not coming to the Cowboys looking to start. Of course, if that happens, that will be fine with Glenn. But for now, he's got an even simpler goal in mind.

Glenn is not expected to compete with Henry or Newman for a starting job, but will likely be a key piece to the nickel defense. Although the Cowboys have yet to conduct a practice with their new corners, it is expected they will slide Newman inside to the slot on the nickel, with Henry and Glenn manning the corners.

Undoubtedly, the Cowboys will have a new look at the position this year with the additions of Glenn and Henry, and that duo likely will help Newman, who appears poised to take his game to another level entering his third year.

Sandwiched between the top three corners and a quartet of second-year pros sits fourth-year veteran Pete Hunter. While he has the longest tenure with the Cowboys among the entire group, it was speculated this off-season that he might be making a change - either to a new team, or at least to a new position.

But for now, that is not the case. Parcells did speak to Hunter about possibly moving to free safety, where a starting job is still up for grabs. And while there had been earlier reports that Hunter asked to be traded or released before switching positions, the cornerback cleared the air last month, stating he would play "wherever they need me to."

While Parcells said he could see using Hunter, and maybe even Jacques Reeves as an occasional nickel safety, both players will be competing at cornerback for now.

Reeves is one of four rookie cornerbacks who played last year for the Cowboys, even starting one game. Lance Frazier started eight games during the second half of the season, while Nate Jones was the only 2004 draft pick to play in every game. Jones was more of a nickel back and special teams contributor and has bulked up considerably from his 5-10, 184-pound frame of last year.

Trying not to be the forgotten man is Bruce Thornton, a fourth-round pick in 2004 who played just one game before suffering a torn ACL. He spent the last 12 weeks of the season on injured reserve.

However it shakes up this year, it's going to be tough to top last year's inconsistencies at the position.

Cornerback haunted the Cowboys from opening day. No one could cover Randy Moss and the Vikings, who lit up the No. 1 defense from 2003 in a 35-17 blowout.

And then came the injury bug, when Hunter, a three-game starter, suffered a torn ACL and veteran pickup Tyrone Williams played in just two games before he was injured and later released.

Needless to say, the Cowboys struggled to cover anyone last year, giving up the most passing touchdowns (31) since 1963 and only two less than the club record (33) set in 1962.

But at least they didn't sit back and simply hope things will get better in 2005. They went out and did something this year. And they've got the contracts to prove it.

FITTING IN

Terence Newman: Struggled somewhat last year compared to stellar rookie season in 2003. Will benefit from arrivals of Henry and Glenn.

Anthony Henry: Needs to be a difference-maker, not only because of his contract, but to solidify a position in desperate need of consistency.

Aaron Glenn: Immediately becomes the leader of the team. Don't be surprised if he finds his way into the starting lineup.

Pete Hunter: Coming off ACL injury, but looked sharp in mini-camp practice. If he stays healthy, he'll be hard to get rid of. Too much talent.

Lance Frazier: Started the year on Ravens' practice squad and ended up starting eight games with Cowboys. Tough, gritty and plays with an attitude.

Bruce Thornton: Still only played about one quarter in the NFL. Let's see how he responds from ACL injury.

Nate Jones: Played every game last year in a backup role. Gained some much-needed weight. Needs to be consistent on special teams.

Jacques Reeves: Had an up-and-down rookie year, but showed some flashes. Could help his cause by playing nickel safety, too.

Lenny Williams : On-and-off the practice squad last year. Doesn't have great size (5-10, 190), but is super quick. He's still around for a reason.

Is Newman the real deal? I mean, he looked great his rookie year... but then again that was a pathetic schedule. Last year he faced TO twice and Randy Moss once... so maybe last year was not telling, either.

I get the feeling that Dallas' defense will rebound... I don't see Parcells fielding another sorry defense.

Originally posted by zoony

Is Newman the real deal? I mean, he looked great his rookie year... but then again that was a pathetic schedule. Last year he faced TO twice and Randy Moss once... so maybe last year was not telling, either.

I get the feeling that Dallas' defense will rebound... I don't see Parcells fielding another sorry defense.

He has all the tools.

He was playing scared last season without a lot of confidence.

Even though Edwards wasnt the greatest CB, he really did take off the pressure on Newman.

Mainly because teams chose to throw on Edwards over him.

I think he will regain the form and production he accomplished his rookie year.

Especially now that he has some solid veterans around him to take the pressure off.

Look for him to return some kicks and punts this year too.

The frequency Newman was beaten creates a situation where it's hard to believe he'll ever be much more than a good corner. You simply don't get that shaken, that often, and become a true, No. 1 corner very often in the NFL. A part of me would wonder if he can hold on to the starting job all year with Glenn and Henry there now.

The Cowboys have solidified their corner spot, there's no doubt about it. They have improved this area much more certainly than they have improved their pass rush. It's hard to suggest non-pass rushers like Canty and Spears help there much, and Ware will have a period of adjustment going from low-level college to the NFL.

With the Cowboys removing Glover in many sets to put Ferguson in, I suspect Cowboy fans will be a little discouraged by the lack of pass rush without blitz help.

Originally posted by Art

The frequency Newman was beaten creates a situation where it's hard to believe he'll ever be much more than a good corner. You simply don't get that shaken, that often, and become a true, No. 1 corner very often in the NFL. A part of me would wonder if he can hold on to the starting job all year with Glenn and Henry there now.

The Cowboys have solidified their corner spot, there's no doubt about it. They have improved this area much more certainly than they have improved their pass rush. It's hard to suggest non-pass rushers like Canty and Spears help there much, and Ware will have a period of adjustment going from low-level college to the NFL.

With the Cowboys removing Glover in many sets to put Ferguson in, I suspect Cowboy fans will be a little discouraged by the lack of pass rush without blitz help.

Good points Art.

However, I expect much more blitzing this season.

Maybe not as much as 2003, but certainly much more than last season.

And this would simply be because of the talent at the CB spot.

While the 3-4 will be the base, the 4-3 will be seen quite often as well.

Which will put Glover on the field a great deal.

And as for Newman, he turned it on late in the season, regaining the form he showed in 2003.

That coupled with the talent around him now, and I think he will break out of that "sophomore slump".

HHM,

I don't disagree with you in the slightest that the improvement in the ability to cover guys will allow greater freedom to create pressure in more creative ways. I think you're right in saying this is likely to occur.

This is a huge key for the type of defense we were able to run a year ago where we could cover so long it often created pressure situations for us on the opposing QB who had no where to go with the ball. You guys may be in a similar situation this year, though, the advantage we had, and still have, is having very strong coverage players at safety even with the injuries.

Originally posted by Art

HHM,

I don't disagree with you in the slightest that the improvement in the ability to cover guys will allow greater freedom to create pressure in more creative ways. I think you're right in saying this is likely to occur.

This is a huge key for the type of defense we were able to run a year ago where we could cover so long it often created pressure situations for us on the opposing QB who had no where to go with the ball. You guys may be in a similar situation this year, though, the advantage we had, and still have, is having very strong coverage players at safety even with the injuries.

If we can have the same success you had last season, I'll be one happy camper.

Originally posted by zoony

not to be captain obvious or anything... but if they're in a base 3-4, they'll have to blitz almost every play. ;)

Usually.

But again, as I said, the 3-4 will only be the base (in fact, they have not even "announced" that this is the plan; although its quite obvious now).

Expect to see plenty of the 4-3, and other formations as well.

Thats when things will get interesting.

Originally posted by Art

No arguments here. T-New has alot to prove this year and IMO he has the raw talent to rebound. I would be highly dissapointed if Dallas lacked a consistent pass rush without blitz help. If played correctly, the 3-4 alignment allows for creative blitz schemes from the LB's while still only sending four or five @ the QB. Mixing in the 4-3 along with more depth on our D-line since the early 90's, Zimmer and Co. SHOULD be able apply more pressure with this group. Glover and Ellis should be fresh late in games and while not big sack guys in college, Spears, Canty and Ratliff can still make an impact around the 4-7 sack range individually. I see alot of Warren Sapp in Spears but that may just be the homer in me. As far as Ware, I'm as anxious to see what kind of problems he may create as you guys are in seeing what you will have to defend against? Training camp can't get here fast enough!

eek2.gif

OMG. This is not good. Not good at all. Frightening to be exact. Doesn't bear thinking about. I mean...well....see for yourself:

Editor's Note: This is the third of a 10-part series

There's 7 more? :doh:

Keeping in mind that a 3-4 turns into a 4-3 real quick when putting a LB down on the line. Not considered a blitz I don't believe and can cause more than a little confusion on the line. Good pickups on the CB's. They could be sorely tested.

I'm a bit worried as well about these CB pickups. Not that they THEMSELVES will do particularly well, but that they will allow Newman to pick his game up.

Glenn, I fear, is washed-up. I saw him play a few games last season, and he just doesn't have the explosion he used to. That was crucial for him, because he is so dramatically undersized.

Henry is a good talent, but I think the new rules against contact have handcuffed him to the point where he may never truly succeed in the league. He relies heavily on bumping receivers and using his superior size and strength to disrupt their routes. After all, last year he was the single most burned CB in the league.

I always thought TN was a very talanted CB. However, he does seem to lack something that may limit him from reaching the top tier of CB's. It may his reaction to the football...I'm not sure...but something's missing (IMHO).

Originally posted by e16bball

I'm a bit worried as well about these CB pickups. Not that they THEMSELVES will do particularly well, but that they will allow Newman to pick his game up.

Glenn, I fear, is washed-up. I saw him play a few games last season, and he just doesn't have the explosion he used to. That was crucial for him, because he is so dramatically undersized.

Henry is a good talent, but I think the new rules against contact have handcuffed him to the point where he may never truly succeed in the league. He relies heavily on bumping receivers and using his superior size and strength to disrupt their routes. After all, last year he was the single most burned CB in the league.

I agree with this post regarding Glenn and Henry.

How do you know he was the most burned CB in the league, though?

There is no doubt that TN has the "potential", wasn't he a top 5 pick? He better pick up his game this season, or me might be a "never was".

Originally posted by Beaudry

I agree with this post regarding Glenn and Henry.

How do you know he was the most burned CB in the league, though?

There is no doubt that TN has the "potential", wasn't he a top 5 pick? He better pick up his game this season, or me might be a "never was".

I think he's reference Stats Inc. and their "burned defender" list. On that list, Henry, Baxter and Smoot were the most burned defenders in the league last year.

Archived