Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

London bombings and some heros

Chrisbob74

Looks like there are about 40 dead so far, but that may well rise as there are many badly injured.

It's non stop on the news here at the moment but as always, desperate situations bring out the best in some people and we are getting stories such as paramedics running out into the street from hospitals instead of waiting for the injured and treating the injured and hospitals with no A&E units opening their doors to tend to the injured. I'm sure other stories will be told.

The attack on the bus was significant, I guess the people who did this wanted to have an "image" that could be remembered and a traditional London bus is one way of doing it.

Buses will be running as normal tomorrow!! The tube may take longer to get back up and running but it will run soon.

On a personel note, I have several friends down in London and I am grateful that I have heard back from them all although two were involved in near misses. One guy just got off the tube 5 minutes before the 1st bomb at Liverpool St Station, another guy was telling me how his wife, who was late for work, was one stop from Aldgate before the bomb went off there.

Unfortunately, some people will be getting the sad news of there loved ones. My heart goes out to them.

*Please, no hi-jacks guys!

Scary Stuff CB74. Glad to hear that you and your friends are alright. :)

I got an email this morning from a buddy who's business partner was at Aldgate East and narrowly missed certain death.

Thoughts out to the people in London and the UK.

Chrisbob,

Do you know where Imperial College is in London? I am unfamiliar with London - but I was curious if the college was nearby the blasts.

I have a lifelong friend who is a grad student there and haven't hear back from her.

Her mail location is London SE20 8DW - if that helps.

Perhaps you are familiar with that area?

I heard a guy on the radio talking about witnessing the bus explosion. After gathering his thoughts, and fleeing the area with his girlfriend, they learned about the other bombings in the city. Still shaken, they immediately went to give blood.

Two more heros.

Originally posted by T.E.G.

Chrisbob,

Do you know where Imperial College is in London? I am unfamiliar with London - but I was curious if the college was nearby the blasts.

I have a lifelong friend who is a grad student there and haven't hear back from her.

Looking at their website, they have several campuses. Do you have any idea what campus she would be at?

Since the other threads are closed, and I don't want to clog up the board with more threads, I was speaking with my father when we both agreed on this simple fact. Despite their claims, this isn't an act of war. An act of war targets discriminately, this type of bombing carries an indescriminate target and, at best, an ill-defined cause. Simply put, this isn't an act of war, it's an act that is completely devoid of and alien to humanity and deceny. And those who are found to be involved should be have their dignity and humanity treated with the same indifference that they show to the world's populace at large.

Chrisbob,

Sorry TEG, I don't live near London and don't really know it that well, but I may be able to find out for you. I hope your friend is ok.

Generally, the reaction I am seeing from people on TV and the friends I have spoken to is that this must not let it affect our lives and things have to get back to normal asap.

People are of course shocked and it's worried them, but they refuse to be intimated.

People have tried before, I dare say they will try again, but you can't let it happen or they have got what they wanted.

TEG, I looked on an internet map, and that post code is near Crystal Palace, a good few miles from the city center where most of this kicked off. Hopefully for your friend, that should mean they are well clear of this unless for some reason they have had to go into the heart of London today.

Look for the red circle on this map.

Thanks - although it was me, not Code, that asked.

Guess we are the few that chose this avatar. :)

Hope to hear from her shortly - she moved to London the week before 9/11 - and yes - she walked through the towers every day in the morning to get coffee.

I think she might be cursed. ;)

Thanks - although it was me, not Code, that asked.

Guess we are the few that chose this avatar. :)

Hope to hear from her shortly - she moved to London the week before 9/11 - and yes - she walked through the towers every day in the morning to get coffee.

I think she might be cursed. ;)

It was the avator.....and the word post "code" stuck in my head. My bad mate! Has been edited. I really hope your pal is ok.

American journalists were amazed at the Londoners' appearance of calm during the Blitz. When the bombing stopped, they went about their business stepping around the rubble in the street as if it were common to have it there. Like I said above, that is not a town that is going to easily be pushed around.

TEG, just read your message, Imperial College, has 5 or 6 sites in London, they are all SW7, SW3 and SW10 postal areas, these are away from all the sites where the bombs went off, the nearest would have been Edware Road Underground station, however even that is about 4 miles away by road, so your friend should be ok.

Archived