Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michelle Wie 3 under par at the John Deer Classic

jbooma

She finished a respectable -1. T-58 place (as of right now). She's not going to be able to do better than -1 or -2 per day, so she better hope that most of the 80 or so players within 3 strokes of her don't play well tomorrow. I don't see her making the cut, nor do I really want her to because the media will go nuts if she does, meanwhile forgetting to mention that the John Deere annually has one of the weakest fields of the year. I'd rather see Annika be the first woman to make the cut at a PGA event, because in a tourney like this one, she actually would have a shot at finishing top 15-20. Michelle Wie is only out there so John Deere can score some headlines for a lousy event.

If you want to see some real golf this weekend, check out the Scottish Open at Loch Lomond (on the Golf Channel). Lots of the big names (Mickelson, Els, Goosen, Adam Scott, in addition to most of the top Euros) play there as a tune up the week before the British Open.

Originally posted by Fatty P For The Pulitzer

She finished a respectable -1. T-58 place (as of right now). She's not going to be able to do better than -1 or -2 per day, so she better hope that most of the 80 or so players within 3 strokes of her don't play well tomorrow. I don't see her making the cut, nor do I really want her to because the media will go nuts if she does, meanwhile forgetting to mention that the John Deere annually has one of the weakest fields of the year. I'd rather see Annika be the first woman to make the cut at a PGA event, because in a tourney like this one, she actually would have a shot at finishing top 15-20. Michelle Wie is only out there so John Deere can score some headlines for a lousy event.

If you want to see some real golf this weekend, check out the Scottish Open at Loch Lomond (on the Golf Channel). Lots of the big names (Mickelson, Els, Goosen, Adam Scott, in addition to most of the top Euros) play there as a tune up the week before the British Open.

The problem is Annika can't get the birdies, Wie had 5 birdies, she has the length to compete with the men Annika doesn't.

Originally posted by jbooma

The problem is Annika can't get the birdies, Wie had 5 birdies, she has the length to compete with the men Annika doesn't.

Wie is not a great putter at all though, which is why she won't be competitive in any PGA events anytime soon. This course is probably too long for Annika, but with this field and on a shorter course, she could do pretty well.

Wie is not a great putter at all though, which is why she won't be competitive in any PGA events anytime soon. This course is probably too long for Annika, but with this field and on a shorter course, she could do pretty well.

Fatty she is 15 years old and is under par in a mens tournament, what part of that don't you understand??

Well , she shot 72/68 in her last men's tourney and missed the cut...so we'll see 'booma.

Her putting and short game, as of right now, are below par (and not in the good way) compared to the LPGA and PGA standards. However, her ball-striking and distance rate favorably with the men and generally over the women pro's.

Originally posted by T.E.G.

Well , she shot 72/68 in her last men's tourney and missed the cut...so we'll see 'booma.

Her putting and short game, as of right now, are below par (and not in the good way) compared to the LPGA and PGA standards. However, her ball-striking and distance rate favorably with the men and generally over the women pro's.

TEG I agree with you, all I am saying isn't it amazing that a female at 15 is doing this, thats all

Fatty she is 15 years old and is under par in a mens tournament, what part of that don't you understand??

She obviously has game, but right now she is just a sideshow. I'm just not a big fan of how the PGA and the sponsors are using her as a marketing gimmick, and how she (with her dad's help) is whoring herself to the golf world. What has she done on the LPGA tour? She got beat by 2 or 3 other amateurs in the Women's Open, who weren't more than a year or 2 older than her. Some 18 year old WON an LPGA event just weeks before her high school graduation, yet Wie keeps getting shoved down our throats. She can do well in one round with a bunch of C players on Tour, and that's pretty amazing, but what's the point in bringing her back to multiple events if she isn't going to be making any cuts. Would you be more proud winning a women's tourney or finishing 100th in a men's tourney (if you were Wie, of course!)?

She obviously has game, but right now she is just a sideshow. I'm just not a big fan of how the PGA and the sponsors are using her as a marketing gimmick, and how she (with her dad's help) is whoring herself to the golf world. What has she done on the LPGA tour? She got beat by 2 or 3 other amateurs in the Women's Open, who weren't more than a year or 2 older than her. Some 18 year old WON an LPGA event just weeks before her high school graduation, yet Wie keeps getting shoved down our throats. She can do well in one round with a bunch of C players on Tour, and that's pretty amazing, but what's the point in bringing her back to multiple events if she isn't going to be making any cuts. Would you be more proud winning a women's tourney or finishing 100th in a men's tourney (if you were Wie, of course!)?

she had a bad round, so does everyone, you forget to mention how she finished second in a major though, she isn't a sideshow

Couple of things Fatty P...

US Amateurs are match play after the stroke play qualifier. Wie has been knocked out in the match play - but generally has player well in the stroke play.

The 18 year old that you talk about is Paula Creamer. She is already turned Pro.

I suspect, when Wie is 17 or 18, she will be far far far beyond where Creamer is right now - if she isn't already.

I agree that the press/ESPN's of the world have shoved Wie down our throats ad nauseum (much like they have done and continue to do with Tiger Woods). Doesn't mean we can't recognize both as phenoms (well, Woods at least).

Michelle Wie proves that golfers aren't athletes (go ahead, flame me). I'd bet any money I could beat her in basketball, football, softball, baseball, running, cycling, swimming, weight lifting, tennis, bowling, skate boarding.... I'd also bet almost any guy on this board could beat her in these same things too. But for some reason she would be considered an incredible athlete by a lot of people. Go figure.

She had 4 bogeys today but almost had an eagle though!!! yes her putting isn't the best but we are talking about a 15 year old, mind you I do not think a 15 year old boy has ever done what she did today.

Wie is going to change golf as we know it. I hope she goes out and wins the mens amateur event so she plays at Auagusta, now that would be funny.

She had 4 bogeys today but almost had an eagle though!!! yes her putting isn't the best but we are talking about a 15 year old, mind you I do not think a 15 year old boy has ever done what she did today.

Wie is going to change golf as we know it. I hope she goes out and wins the mens amateur event so she plays at Auagusta, now that would be funny.

She's very talented, no doubt about it. But I don't get the hard on for her.

Girls mature faster physically than boys, and that's critical in areas such as coordination which are crucial in golf. At 15, most boys are still tripping over their own feet. The downside, however, is going to be that girls at 15 are nearer to their physical development potential than are guys at that age.

If Annika Sorenstam, who is indisputably THE best woman in the world in her sport can't cut it against the men in golf, then what hope to you have for Wie? The best women will occasionally make the cut and will rarely finish in the top ten against the men. I think it's unrealistic to expect more.

Originally posted by endzone_dave

Michelle Wie proves that golfers aren't athletes (go ahead, flame me).

I'll bite. How does she prove that?

Is it because she can't play football better than you? That is sort of a silly requirement for who is an athlete.

I also find it rather funny that you put bowling on your list of things you can do better. How is bowling a sport but not golf? Let me guess. You like to bowl but don't golf.

Originally posted by redman

If Annika Sorenstam, who is indisputably THE best woman in the world in her sport can't cut it against the men in golf, then what hope to you have for Wie? The best women will occasionally make the cut and will rarely finish in the top ten against the men. I think it's unrealistic to expect more.

I think its because she has a monster drive. I'm by no means an LPGA fan (I don't watch any golf at all), but I think Annika's drive isn't spectacular. She has magical irons. I could be wrong, however....

Anyway, a lot people equate good golf with a monster drive, when its just not true. The best advice I ever got was to put away my drivers for two years and play exclusively with irons. Once you get your irons down, then pick up the drivers. But 30-50 yards on your drive aren't really that significant if you can work magic with your irons. :)

Originally posted by redman

There is one difference, Wie can hit as far or farther then the guys, Annika can't. The guys she played with were amazed at what she did.

However if she made the cut and finished top 20 or 30 every week she would still make more then most of the women :D

She's going to have her work cut out for her this afternoon. The cut currently rests at -2, and could go even lower. The leader, Hunter Mahan, is at -12, thru 13. My guess is she shoots a +2 at best.

She was 4 under on the back nine after messing up early, so who knows maybe it was nerves.

Archived