Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Electric Guitar Strings...?

DaRock

What do you guys prefer to use and what do you think are the best strings around including the length of time they last and how great they sound. I know it depends on the sound you want, but for the basic rocker...what would be the best deal?

Not just the tone, but how your skin/perspiration cause the strings to react. I use and love GHS Boomers. I can use those and they don't oxidize after one band practice, which is a problem I've always had with Ernie Ball strings. I know people who have the opposite problem, though.

Drink plenty of water, too. That helps by keeping less waste byproduct in your perspiration, so your strings won't take the brunt of it.

Nick

The best deal is probably Ernie Ball strings, they are generally pretty cheap, around 3 bucks a pack.

I personally use different strings depending on the guitar.

I use D'addario's for my Gibson LP Custom, because they are stiffer feeling and with the shorter scale length, I don't want the strings to feel as loose.

For my PRS's and Fender, I use Ernie Balls, because they are looser feeling to me and the PRS has the 25' scale length and it ends up feeling closer to the Gibson. For my acoustic, I use Elixir, because they last longer and I don't play the acoustic as much as the electrics.

I'll be honest though, if you are a beginner, I doubt you will feel much of a difference between brands.

If you want a vintage sound, get the pure nickel strings, otherwise, if you want a more modern sound, the regulars will be fine.

I agree with ntotoro, different strings react differently to different people.

I do agree that Ernie Balls seem to corrode the fastest, but I change strings every week so it's a non issue for me.

I'm trying some custom strings called Snake Oil Strings that a bunch of people say lasts longer, but I just put them on a couple of days ago, so I don't know yet.

I'm not a beginner, I just didn't feel like trying string pack after string pack to find the best ones...it's been awhile since I've played electric and was just wondering everyone's opinions on them. Thanks for the explanations tho', keep 'em coming..

:cheers:

Originally posted by Darock

I'm not a beginner, I just didn't feel like trying string pack after string pack to find the best ones...it's been awhile since I've played electric and was just wondering everyone's opinions on them. Thanks for the explanations tho', keep 'em coming..

:cheers:

Ok, cool, you'll prbably noticte then that EB strings are "slinkier", D'addario's are stiffer and GHS are in between.

To me, GHS seems brighter and EB seems darker tone wise with D'addario in between.

Finally, D'addario's seem to last longer, with GHS right with them and EB's corrodeing the fastest.

No scientific data to back any of it, just 16 years of playing... :D

Originally posted by codeorama

Ok, cool, you'll prbably noticte then that EB strings are "slinkier", D'addario's are stiffer and GHS are in between.

To me, GHS seems brighter and EB seems darker tone wise with D'addario in between.

Finally, D'addario's seem to last longer, with GHS right with them and EB's corrodeing the fastest.

No scientific data to back any of it, just 16 years of playing... :D

Code, so you think those are the top 3?

I may have to try all three, but the D'addario seem to be the best for me if they are in between..GHS with the corrosion may be out tho'...I won't be changing strings very often. I remember EB's slinky feel even back in teh day a bit..say 10 yrs ago...

Originally posted by Darock

Code, so you think those are the top 3?

I may have to try all three, but the D'addario seem to be the best for me if they are in between..GHS with the corrosion may be out tho'...I won't be changing strings very often. I remember EB's slinky feel even back in teh day a bit..say 10 yrs ago...

I only listed those three because they have the widest variety of guages available.

I use and odd guage (10-52) and sometimes have trouble finding them. But lately, it seems like more people are using them.

Dean Markley's are pretty common for the most part.

I was using the GHS Zakk Wylde set for a while and LOVED them. They were so heavy on the bottom end, however, they just were not practical and were very hard to find in my area.

I use D'addario' on all of my electric guitars and DR’s on my basses. With both I’ve found that from pack to pack string to string they are very consistent and last a reasonable amount of playing time between changes.

I use Elixir strings on my acoustic and I’m very happy with them. They aren’t quite as bright right out of the gate as some other brands, but they last a long time and have a nice slick feel to them. I tried them on one of my electrics but where the slickness felt good on the acoustic it just felt.......weird on an electric.

Guest Gichin13
Originally posted by ntotoro

Not just the tone, but how your skin/perspiration cause the strings to react. I use and love GHS Boomers. I can use those and they don't oxidize after one band practice, which is a problem I've always had with Ernie Ball strings. I know people who have the opposite problem, though.

Drink plenty of water, too. That helps by keeping less waste byproduct in your perspiration, so your strings won't take the brunt of it.

Nick

Another couple tips (sort of obvious ones): wash your hands before you play. Also, towel off hands/strings regularly, and also make sure to wipe the strings down well after you play.

Some people like to use materials to grease the strings like "finger ease" ... I tried that stuff, but it always bugged me and made me feel like I was less in touch with the strings.

Guest Gichin13

PS

I generally use D'Addarios for electric.

Martin makes some nice acoustic strings, I usually use them.

I use DR strings exclusively. I've tried every other string out there and they are the best imo. A bit more expensive, but sooo worth it in the long run.

I also wipe my strings constantly with a bit of denatured alcohol mixed with wd/40. I've had many a guitar wiz tell me that I am not prolonging my string life by doing that, in fact doign the opposite, but after playing 5 gigs with the same sets of strings on both guitars (tone still hadn't dies off of them) I know I am doing something right.

So that's what i do.

Originally posted by BG

I use DR strings exclusively. I've tried every other string out there and they are the best imo. A bit more expensive, but sooo worth it in the long run.

I also wipe my strings constantly with a bit of denatured alcohol mixed with wd/40. I've had many a guitar wiz tell me that I am not prolonging my string life by doing that, in fact doign the opposite, but after playing 5 gigs with the same sets of strings on both guitars (tone still hadn't dies off of them) I know I am doing something right.

So that's what i do.

DR strings are awesome, I just have a hard time finding them.

GHS makes string cleaning cloths and they work really well. I bought 1 online to try it out and I liked it so much, I ordered 2 more.

I also use Kyser Dr Stringfellow String cleaner.

Works great as well.

Originally posted by codeorama

DR strings are awesome, I just have a hard time finding them.

GHS makes string cleaning cloths and they work really well. I bought 1 online to try it out and I liked it so much, I ordered 2 more.

I also use Kyser Dr Stringfellow String cleaner.

Works great as well.

What's in the stuff? Does it say?

Another thing that REALLY helps is to always keep your axes in a climate controlled environment. I know that sounds pretty rudamentry, but some people don't think about it too much, like err.. me.:)

I lived at the beach for about 4 years and would keep my instrumentsin my closet so they were out of sight but more out of the way. Ac didn't get up there and I was always wondering why the hell I kept getting dead strings after a few hours and bent necks.

Duyyyhhhhhhh...:dunce:

Guest Gichin13

For the folks discussing WD-40 and even more lighter fluid ... any problems with the guitar neck? Especially with the lighter fluid, I would be worried that the fluid would really thrash the finish on the neck.

Originally posted by Gichin13

For the folks discussing WD-40 and even more lighter fluid ... any problems with the guitar neck? Especially with the lighter fluid, I would be worried that the fluid would really thrash the finish on the neck.

I havent' tried it yet, however, in Dan Erlwine's books, which are excellent BTW, he says lighter fluid is the best cleaner for a guitar's finish. Just keep away from flames obviously.

So I guess it's safe.

You may want to go to Amazon.com and check out his books. Just search for Dan Erlwine or Guitar Repair.

If I'm not mistaken, Naptha is the same thing as lighter fluid, and probably cheaper by the ounce. You can pick it up at any Home Depot.

I use it for a few different guitar building activities, but I've never tried using it on a finished guitar.

Archived