Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Friend on Hard Drugs

footballhenry

Originally posted by footballhenry

well thanks for the advice but I actually dont hang out with drug users mostly. as i said earlier, i am friends with this guy but not as close as i otherwise might be due to the fact that we live in different states. still, that doesnt change the fact that i wish i could help him. also Sarge perhaps you should practice a bit humility. not all drug users or losers, though I am sure most can be classified as that. both of my brothers were sucked into the drug scene, and its not so black and white as some make it out to be (as far as the people that do it). its just interesting to me that ive gotten alot of really good advice by a bunch of really nice guys here, but you see fit to add an insult, unwarranted.

So name me a current drug user that is in a respectable position in society. Or a position of power. Or has their life on track.

Originally posted by Sarge

So name me a current drug user that is in a respectable position in society. Or a position of power. Or has their life on track.

actually their are plenty of pot smokers that are respectable, and/or powerful. but this doesnt help the situation at hand at all, its pointless

actually their are plenty of pot smokers that are respectable, and/or powerful. but this doesnt help the situation at hand at all, its pointless

You're right, it doesn't help your problem. But if there are plenty, name one.

Oh, did I mention the police background check the military will conduct if you try to join up? Or the drug test you'll have to take? Did I tell you they test you the whole time after you've made your initial commitment but before you actually go in? Or that fact that if you get in cop trouble during that same period you will have voided your contract with the military and you can kiss that opportunity goodbye?

Originally posted by Sarge

You're right, it doesn't help your problem. But if there are plenty, name one.

Oh, did I mention the police background check the military will conduct if you try to join up? Or the drug test you'll have to take? Did I tell you they test you the whole time after you've made your initial commitment but before you actually go in? Or that fact that if you get in cop trouble during that same period you will have voided your contract with the military and you can kiss that opportunity goodbye?

sarge, what do you think I am? some punk or something? i already know all this, im not some druggie like you keep implying. i simply asked for advice for my friend...

sarge, what do you think I am? some punk or something? i already know all this, im not some druggie like you keep implying. i simply asked for advice for my friend...

Not implying anything, nor did I think you a pothead. But, if your friend gets busted and you happen to be there, guess what?

All I'm saying is if you hang around folks like that, trouble usually follows.

Take Die Hards advice, leave him alone.

Hell, our current president was an alcoholic and cokehead for a while, but rather than use that as an example of a success story, I would assert that his current mental state is clearly a ringing endorsement to stay away from the stuff. He's fortunate that his dad was able to pull a few strings & get him a good job...

Originally posted by E-Dog Night

Hell, our current president was an alcoholic and cokehead for a while, but rather than use that as an example of a success story, I would assert that his current mental state is clearly a ringing endorsement to stay away from the stuff. He's fortunate that his dad was able to pull a few strings & get him a good job...

:stfu:

Originally posted by E-Dog Night

umm, lets not bring politics into this...save it for the political threads i DO start;)

umm, lets not bring politics into this...save it for the political threads i DO start;)

Hey, someone brought up Marion Barry, who is clearly political figure, and they also mentioned U.S. Senators, so I thought "Hey, I know about another politican who liked to snort coke." Politics was already brought in.

Originally posted by portisizzle

:stfu:

Sarge did open that door....:cool:

I like to think of myslef as a model citizen.

I don't eff with the law, I respect others around me and I try to keep things in persepective.

I do loves a party though.

Originally posted by jbooma

Henry DH is 100% right here.

As for Chomerics, having worked in jail before and able to talk to the addicts almost every single day not one has ever said it was alchohol is the reason they went to harder drugs.

I don't care about the stats you presented because it doesn't take in account that everyone has tried drinking and most start with that. The difference between beeing drunk and hungover is completely different then the high you get while smoking, you can't copy that high with drinking but you can with other drugs, remember alcohol leaves your body in hours, pot stays in you and affects your brain, there is a difference.

It is the chemical imbalance you get from smoking that gets you that "high", alcohol is a different reaction. Yes a lot drink but it isn't a gateway drug since all do it.

I have done pot, and other stuff, it was the pot that made me want more not the drinking, why don't you ask an addict yourself, you might be shocked to find out the answer.

I have never heard someone say I did coke or x just say I can get the same feeling as the hangover I got the other day :doh:

Now pot doesn't impact everyone the same way, that is why some feel it is fine and doesn't bother them but others it is different, which is the same for every drug, it all depends on the person.

Jbooma,

I don't know what facility you worked in, but I had 5+ years experience working inpatient drug rehab centers, and virtually every single patient started by abusing alcohol as kids. Not just using, abusing. Any reputable rehab center not only treats for drug abuse but simultaneously for alcohol abuse. The parts of the brain affected by addiction are generally the same, be it drug or alcohol. There are additional brain centers that some drugs and alcohol affect, causing additional or more severe physical reactions - typically, heroin, barbiturates and alcohol causes a more physical reaction than MJ or cocaine, but they all have a similar effect on an addict.

fbhenry,

How close are you really to this person?

Is he the type of friend that you think of as a brother?

I have a bit of experience with hard drugs. Lost my brother (31), and my uncle (55) and cousin (29) are both doing hard time.

There is plenty you can do if you really care about the person.

DH is right that you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped but you can certainly open their eyes to who they are and what they really want.

If you guys are close and he understands what type of person you are, you might try asking him why he does what he does. Tell him what he is doing is hurting YOU. Most people don't care about hurting themselves, and are in denial about how they hurt others so it can be helpful to remind them and let them know who they ARE hurting besides themselves.

Tell him he is hurting his parents, and his girlfriend, and his friends. Put him on the spot. Make him feel uncomfortable.

Ask him if he wants to stop and if he wants help. If the answer is yes then ask him what he wants out of life and what his goals and dreams are.

The point is to show him that on his current path he will NEVER achieve the things he truly wants out of life.

He might just say "yes" to make you leave him alone, so try to feel out his level of sincerity. If is seems like he is putting you on you might say "Call me when you are ready to be honest" and then try again later.

If you want to talk more PM me with your AIM or MSN.

Take care.

1. If he asks for help (get) him help.. you're not qualified.

2. No social visits :)

3. Gateway vs. non doesnt really matter does it? Based on the facts I read 99% of Baseball players got in because they were Right Handed...

Archived