Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Results from last Summer's Iowa Trip *Bumped:I'm driving to Iowa*

Cannon2

This weekend I'm driving to Iowa from Montgomery county, MD with a friend of mine to see a girl. Anyone have any recomendations of places we should stop along the way or things that we must see. We are considering a stop in Canton to see the NFL HOF, but thats all we could come up with. 13 hours in the car....please help me find somethings to do along the way Xtremers

Awesome responses...keep them coming. I feel like the observational humor of traveling through the Midwest for my first time will be enough to get us by. Im gunna be really tempted to stop in Chicago with what everyone has been saying.

Dude, you better get some good sex for driving 13 hours through some of the nation's dullest countryside only to arrive at possibly the dullest state that there is. It would almost be justifiable if she lived in Chicago or something, but Iowa?

The drive you're going to be taking doesn't even have the barren prettiness of Montana, the Dakotas, etc. West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, then Iowa. Farmland, farmland, farmland, a fruit stand, farmland, farmland. The midwest is Dullsvile USA.

OK, I'm done being an ass.

Originally posted by Beaudry

Avoid the hall of fame? You, sir, are insane. You get to look Joe Gibbs right in the brozed eyes.

Until Monk get's in, any penny a Skin fan spends there is money keeping him from that honor.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

BTW, are YOU going for the girl, or is your buddy? Cause I gotta tell you, that's a long effin way for a piece of ass.

Its me going and I cant believe it myself, its by far the most spontaneous decsion of my life but the girl is leaving for Europe for a month next week. She's worth the trip though in my opinion. Im basically driving 24 hours this weekend to see her for 36. I've been doing my Kama Sutra sretches all day at work.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Dude, you better get some good sex for driving 13 hours through some of the nation's dullest countryside only to arrive at possibly the dullest state that there is. It would almost be justifiable if she lived in Chicago or something, but Iowa?

The drive you're going to be taking doesn't even have the barren prettiness of Montana, the Dakotas, etc. West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, then Iowa. Farmland, farmland, farmland, a fruit stand, farmland, farmland. The midwest is Dullsvile USA.

actually, the midwest is pretty cool. Chicago is, in my opinion, one of the best cities in North America.

Columbus OH has the best looking women in the world. Anyone who would ever dare argue this has never been there or spent any time there ;) Some great restaurants there as well.

Actually, Hadkes, in Columbus, has the United States best chef... the only American chef to ever place in the top 10 in the world. Great food and reasonably priced at about $100 per.

Cincy and Cleveland can be cool, as can Milwaukee, especially if you like beer.

Not to mention that the people in the midwest tend to be some of the friendliest in the US...

Iowa, though... well no argument here. That place is awful :doh:

I drove thru it once and I almost shot myself :laugh:

Originally posted by dks1240

how do/did you know/meet the girl?

Believe it or not I met her last week she was visiting a mutual friend of ours who goes to Tulane with her...we just hit it off...idea of me coming out kind of started as a joke but my friend is crazy about roadtrips and now we're leaving in 3 hours.

I know this seems crazy and rediculous and I agree, but its Summertime and you gotta live in the moment

Originally posted by Cannon2

Believe it or not I met her last week she was visiting a mutual friend of ours who goes to Tulane with her...we just hit it off...idea of me coming out kind of started as a joke but my friend is crazy about roadtrips and now we're leaving in 3 hours.

I know this seems crazy and rediculous and I agree, but its Summertime and you gotta live in the moment

cant argue with that. have a good trip, you better post a recap of the weekend when you get back!

Originally posted by Beaudry

Sorry, you just lost any credibility as a person whose judgement should be trusted. Where do you eat where $100 is reasonable?

I have a large appetite. :laugh:

just kidding.

I should qualify... reasonably priced for the quality of food, considering it is arguably the best restaurant in the United States.

$100 is a ****tail in manhattan... :)

Originally posted by Cannon2

Insane, but ballsy. I'd never do it, but then again I'm the epitome of cautious. Good for you if it works out. Hopefully you'll have a good time regardless.

I'm assuming you're taking 80?

The most exciting thing between here and Iowa on 80 is that McDonald's over the highway.

:doh:

From here to eastern Ohio is pretty scenic, but after that....fughedaboutit....

(Keep your windows up when going through Illinois. Smelliest state in the US)

You all are awesome, I swear we have experts on every topic in this community. I'll definatly recap the trip and try to take some PG13 pictures. The name of the town is Davenport if anyone knows anymore about this insane journey Im embarking on....thank god for my iPod

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Man, you have got it all wrong.

Iowa is a beautiful state -- especially at this time of year. So green it'll make your eyes hurt. Beautiful rolling country. And just about the friendliest people, on average, I've been able to find.

I've seen 45 of the 50 states in the nation, lived in 4 (Iowa, New York, Kentucky, and now, Texas) -- and it is nowwhere near the dullest.

Though, to temper these remarks, I will say this -- if you're driving through on I80 -- you probably WILL think it's pretty dull. I think they chose the only piece of real estate in Iowa that noone would really miss.

Archived