Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First Trip to Disney World !

Sknzfan

mousesavers.com

But it's a Disney deal, so you can book that one, THEN cancel your existing reservations.

DONT DONT DONT cancel until the new res is confirmed.

That way you can make sure the dates fit for you.

It's an unbelieveable bargain. Cheapest Ive seen since the post 9/11 days.

I'll second (third? fourth?) the mousesavers and disboards recommendations, not from personal experience but because my Disney-addict bride hasn't stopped talking about them for at least the past few months.... fortunately, I only have to listen to her planning-frenzy chatter for only a little longer, as we're leaving on Friday afternoon for our latest Disney adventure :)

This one will be for our daughter's first birthday, seeing as Mommy insists that our princess will turn one in the presence of all the 'other' princesses during breakfast at Cinderella's Castle.... I'm sure her 6-year-old big brother won't mind so long as we head immediately thereafter for the Buzz Lightyear ride ;)

Anyway, we'll be spending the week at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, meaning that after this trip we will have experienced the following Disney/pseudo-Disney accommodations:

All-Star Sports Resort

All-Star Movies Resort

Animal Kingdom Lodge

Beach Club Villas

Dolphin

Old Key West Resort

Polynesian Resort

Shades of Green

Wilderness Lodge

As you can see, we definitely enjoy staying on the property, just seems like more of a getaway without all the driving involved when staying off-property.

Seems like folks have already touched on most everything I might be able to offer, especially seeing as I'm not even the family expert on Disney, regarding tips for making the most of your trip. Lots of good advice here!

Polynesian shure looks nice from the monorail. (And, to me, being on the monorail definatly adds a "Disney" feel to the stay.) And the Mickey character breakfast sound like a good thing. I've just never done it.)

I'm dreading that I'm going to spend my trip comparing Animal Kingdom against Wilderness Lodge (unfavorably).

As to accessability, every Disney hotel I've seen has a group of bus stops next to the hotel, and bus service from the hotel to each of the parks. (Direct to each park. If you want to go to Epcot, just wait around, and within 10 minutes or so a buss that says "Epcot" will stop, and take you directly there.)

Many of the hotels are "associated with" one of the parks, and will have some kind of special transportation to that one park. Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian all have a direct boat to Magic Kingdom (and all of them but Wilderness are on the monorail). To get from there to one of the other parks, you take a bus. (Or you're allowed to drive. You'll have to pay for parking, but if you want to take a cooler, or you need three changes of clothes for the kids, or something, then it's not a bad idea.)

I've had such good times at Wilderness Lodge that I'd literally question the credibility of any negative online reviews. Granting, Disney seems to inspire a lot of "but it's not fantastic enough" in people. There are a few things that I think Disney could improve. (My #1 thing I'd change: Those busses. To me, taking a city bus to get to Epcot just takes something away from the magic of things, no matter how effecient and well-run it may be. OTOH, I've heard that around the back corricors of Disney, whenever somebody wants to lampoon some pet project, the cliche example of a collassal waste of money is the monorail line out to Epcot. And there are logistical reasons why trying to connect all of the hotels with monorails would be a lot of problems.)

OTOH, if you're paying $189 per adult, for rooms and tickets, then send in your money quick before they fix the glitch.

Granting Sept is one of their slow months, so rates are lower. And Granting, my party is using two rooms at Animal Kingdom (one of their more expensive hotels), in July (expensive month), but for five people (and four tickets. I have an annual pass) for six nights and five days of park tickets, I just sent in the money for almost 8 grand.

I think Wilderness Lodge is worth a lot of extra money, but I don't know if it's worth that much extra money.

Some research notes I had from last time....

Park attendance:

Magic Kingdom is typically the busiest park on Saturday, Monday and Thursday.

MGM is the busiest park on Sunday and Wednesdays.

Epcot is the busiest park on Tuesdays and Fridays.

These were statistics given by Disney. So you might want to avoid the parks on their busy days.

Also, another thing if it works out this way...if your kid has a birthday while there, go to City Hall on Main St in the Magic Kingdom and let them know. They will give the kid a birthday pin and he/she will be recognized everywhere they go. My 9 yr old had her b'day while we were in Disney...all kinds of attention during the day from the characters, restaurants gave her birthday cake, she was pulled from the crowd into the parade, etc, etc, etc.

Haven’t read the thread but here’s my two cents.

Stayed in the park a few times. Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Beach Club, Swan, and Fort Wilderness cabin. If you can afford the Polynesian, It’s my choice. It worked well when my daughter was younger. We would get out of the park right after dinner, get cleaned up, and go to see the fireworks. You can watch the fireworks from the dock, or beach then put the kids right to sleep without having to deal with the crowds trying to leave the park. Then you can kick back with a brew after a long day. Other days we would enjoy the pool there, and go to the park later to stay to see the place all lit up and the fireworks. Great pool, and restaurant. The character breakfasts are a must for the little ones. Being there’s a monorail station there, it’s beyond convenient.

The other two resorts on the lagoon are either too pricy (Floridian), or lame at this point(Contemporary) . All the other resorts, you have to catch busses to the monorails.

The cabins at Ft Wilderness are great for a group of 8 or so. Lots of free stuff to do there at night. I’ve camped there also in a pop-up. The Beach Club, and Swan were also very nice.

At this point, when we go for weekends, we stay at resorts just outside the park. Knowing we have limited time, a clean place to sleep with a breakfast buffet works, and there’s a strip of nice resorts just up the street from Pleasure island. We only stay in the park for extended stays now.

All the water parks are good, but get there early. They fill up real fast. Typhoon lagoon is my favorite. I always recommend Medieval Times for at least one nights dinner. Falconry, jousting, and sword fighting is always a thrill for the kids. It’s about a 15 minute ride from the park.

Do the fast pass on what ever you can. I will save your life on the major attractions.

We spend most of our time in EPCOT these days, being our daughter is going on 13. Illuminations is worth catching if you do EPCOT. Of course I love the word showcase. Years ago, you could only catch a drink in Germany, and Great Briton. Now you can walk around with a brew or drink. It’s actually a very educational place if you take the time to do the stuff there, as is the other half of EPCOT. Don't be fooled, there's a ton of stuff in EPCOT the kids will enjoy.

:cheers: :cheers:

At work I couldn't remember the name of the message board I visited prior to my last trip, but now that I'm home here it is: http://www.passporter.com

They also sell something called the PassPorter Guide. I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing this before your trip. I found it to be 10 times better than Birnbaum's Official Guide or the Unofficial Guide to Disney. Packed full of valuable info...

Here's another site I found useful: http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/default.asp

Click on the link to the resort you are staying in and it gives you tidbits on the resort...but the thing I found most useful was the transportation info. They tell you how long it takes to get there (helpful for things like character breakfasts when you have to be there at 9am and you realize it will take 30 minutes to get there:doh: <--voice of experience).

Example from Pop Century to:

Transportation:

Bus: Bus transportation is available to all theme parks, water parks, and the Downtown Disney.

Approximate Duration:

MGM Studios -- 15 minutes

Epcot -- 20 minutes

Magic Kingdom -- 25 minutes

Animal Kingdom -- 15 minutes

Downtown Disney -- 20 minutes

Another good transportation info site:

http://disdad.com/beyond/transportation.htm

And I once again recommend Crystal Pallace. Great food, Great view, and the Pooh characters.

As someone else pointed out, as a hotel guest you're allowed to make restaurant reservations like 60 days in advance. (Everybody else: Same day only.)

I wouldn't worry about crowds in September. It's a slow month.

I agree with those giving good marks to the Polynesian; great location, nice (older, but I seem to remember them recently being in the process of re-doing these) rooms, good character breakfast, and great pool area (they recently gave it a major remodel, super nice now).

Originally posted by SkinsNut73

Some research notes I had from last time....

Park attendance:

Magic Kingdom is typically the busiest park on Saturday, Monday and Thursday.

MGM is the busiest park on Sunday and Wednesdays.

Epcot is the busiest park on Tuesdays and Fridays.

These were statistics given by Disney. So you might want to avoid the parks on their busy days.

That just happens to be the old Magic Mornings (or whatever they were called) schedule. Check the disboards, I think some of that may have changed this past year. Not sure.

Yes...those are the busiest days for the parks for obvious reasons but it normally does not get bad till the afternoon. That is when you leave for another park.

Also, September is considered the offseason, but you will be shocked at what Disney considers slow time. Still best to follow most advice about crowds and lines.

Have I mentioned I LOVE this Board !!!

Thanx for ALL the Valuable Info and Multitude of Link's ........

Keep on Postin' !!!!

As soon as I get all my Itinerary lined up I'll post it.....well, Where we'll be staying and Flight's Etc.

Thanx

I forgot to bring up the schedule for the fireworks. It changes dureing the year, so make sure you check it.

One of my fondest memories is a stay at the Polynesian. We had a ground floor room, with sliding glass doors leading out to the lawn not far from the water. I had woke up to find a pair of ducks about 10 feet from the door. A hand full of oyster crackers, and with in a minute or so, they were in our room eating from our hands. My daughter was 6 or 7 at the time, and was completely thrilled.

EDIT: The only problem I have ever found with Disney is, way too many kids;)

Originally posted by Pete

EDIT: The only problem I have ever found with Disney is, way too many kids;)

LOL.

One thing I always tell people now is NEVER, EVER book a trip in the first 2 weeks of December. If you do, then DO NOT stay at the All-Star Resorts. This is the time of year when Disney hosts the Pop Warner national playoffs and Pop Warner Cheerleading competitions.

We went one year thinking it would be nice because it was considered a value season (prices rise dramatically the closer you get to the holidays) AND we would get to see Disney decorated for Christmas without the crowds.

Well, there was no need for an alarm clock that week as hundreds of cheerleaders started practicing at 6AM!!!! Every morning we'd be blasted out of bed. So I'd go down to the food court to get some coffee...and I'm standing in line behind 50 cheerleaders getting breakfast...and cheering. Every where you went there was cheering.

It was good to see these kids having fun, but it drove me nuts by the end of the week :)

i just read this whole thread - I'm sorry I missed it yesterday, because I love Disney World!

Nobody mentioned my favorite ride: Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - although it might be because I was at Disney World just after the ride opened and me and my friends rode it like 5 times in a row trying to get higher scores.

Also, Buzz Lightyear is much safer than Mission: Space, which is where the 4-year-old died yesterday:

NATION IN BRIEF

Wednesday, June 15, 2005; Page A10

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Agnes Bamuwamye knew something was wrong after she and son Daudi, 4, strapped into the "Mission: Space" ride at Walt Disney World. The boy's body was rigid and his legs stretched out, so she took his hand to reassure him as the rocket-ship ride spun them around, submitting them to twice the normal force of gravity.

When the ride ended, the boy was limp and unresponsive. She carried him off the ride, and paramedics and a theme park worker tried to revive him, but he died at a hospital. An autopsy found no trauma, but more tests will be needed to determine the cause of death, officials said.

The $100 million Epcot ride, one of Disney World's most popular, reopened Tuesday after company engineers concluded that it was operating normally. The ride re-creates a rocket launch and a trip to Mars.

An audio recording and a video warn of the risks. Signs advise pregnant women not to go on the ride. Motion-sickness bags are offered to riders. One warning sign posted last year read: "For safety you should be in good health, and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that can be aggravated by this adventure."

Since the attraction opened in 2003, seven people have been taken to the hospital for chest pains, fainting or nausea.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/14/AR2005061401630.html

Originally posted by dks1240

whoa, i just heard on the radio that a 3 year old boy died at disney world yesterday. anyone else hear this? poor little guy :(

Saw it on the news this morning. Mission space is not for the faint of heart. They have barf bags on it. I heard it was a 4 year old, but no matter, who puts a little kid on a ride like that.

I'm waiting for the 11 oclock news to see if they have more on it. They said they tried to revive him at the park, and later died at the hospital. What a shame.

The ride is awsome. I could ride it all day. My wife and my sister in law almost got sick on it. How in Gods name the simulate the G Force on lift off is beyond me. It's also interactive so everybody in the ride has a job of sorts. Again, it's not for those with weak stomachs, bad backs, or heart problems. It's that serious of a ride.

EDIT....Some answers on the ride itself

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Agnes Bamuwamye knew something was wrong after she and her 4-year-old son, Daudi, strapped into the “Mission: Space” ride at Walt Disney World.

The boy’s body was rigid and his legs stretched out, so she took his hand to reassure him as the rocket-ship ride spun them around.

When the ride ended, the boy was limp and unresponsive. She carried him off the ride, and paramedics and a theme park worker tried to revive him, but he died at a hospital.

An autopsy Tuesday showed no trauma, so further tests will be conducted and a cause of death may not be determined for several weeks, said Sheri Blanton, with Medical Examiner’s Office in Orlando.

The $100 million Epcot ride, one of Disney World’s most popular, closed after the boy’s death, but reopened Tuesday when company engineers concluded it was operating normally.

“Mission: Space” spins riders in a giant centrifuge that subjects them to twice the normal force of gravity. It is so intense some riders have been taken to the hospital with chest pain.

The ride re-creates a rocket launch and a trip to Mars. A clock counts down before a simulated blastoff that includes smoke and flame and the sound of roaring rocket engines. The G-forces twist and distort riders’ faces.

An audio recording and a video warn of the risks. Signs advise pregnant women not to go on the ride. Motion sickness bags are offered to riders.

One warning sign posted last year read: “For safety you should be in good health, and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that can be aggravated by this adventure.”

Monday’s death has raised questions about the safety of such rides and who should be riding them.

The boy met the 44-inch height requirement to get on the ride, and there is no indication it caused or contributed to his death, the cause of which remains under investigation by the medical examiner’s office.

Since “Mission: Space" opened in 2003, seven people have been taken to the hospital for chest pains, fainting or nausea. That is the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida’s major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report any serious incidents to the state.

Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said the ride, which has carried 8.6 million riders, was not at fault in the boy’s death.

Disney officials said in a statement that they were “providing support to the family and are doing everything we can to help them during this difficult time.”

No changes were made to the ride or in who is permitted to ride it.

“We believe the ride is safe in its current configuration," Polak said.

Until Monday’s death, the ride seemed to affect only middle-age and older adults, from 40 to 70 years old.

The state has never suggested that the ride be slowed to reduce G-forces and prevent further hospitalizations.

“I would imagine they’re doing that right now,” said Allen Harrison, of the state Bureau of Fair Ride Inspections.

The boy who died, Daudi Bamuwamye of Sellersville, Pa., boarded the attraction Monday afternoon with his sister and mother.

He was pronounced dead just before 5 p.m. Monday at Celebration Hospital.

Epcot guests Jeffrey and Jordan Garkow of Littleton, Colo., said Tuesday they were shocked to learn about the child’s death. But the teenage brothers agreed they would want to know what killed the boy before deciding on the ride’s safety.

G-force, a measure of stress on the body during rapid acceleration, is expressed in multiples of “g.”

The “Mission: Space” ride at Walt Disney World’s Epcot Center has been described as subjecting riders to an estimated 2 g’s, but the company does not provide that information.

1 g: What we experience standing on Earth.

2 g’s: During a 60-degree level turn in an airplane.

3 g’s: During a shuttle launch.

7 g’s: What the human body can withstand without injury without protective equipment.

9 g’s: The force in an Air Force F-16 fighter plane during a tight turn in which pilots wear special flight suits.

News Press

• 4 weeks later...

Okay ... so I am bringing the Disney thread back to life.

One of my girlfriends and myself will be making a trip down to Disney World on July 29th for a few days. Her brother and sister-in-law just got back from the park - and they had a Hopper Pass and meal plan.

Has anyone had any experience with the meal plan? I have spoken with the travel agent and she said that the meal plan covers 1 snack, 1 counter service meal and 1 table service meal a day.

Do you guys think this is worth it? Or am I fine going my own route and eating at the counter service places?

Originally posted by CandaceM23

Okay ... so I am bringing the Disney thread back to life.

One of my girlfriends and myself will be making a trip down to Disney World on July 29th for a few days. Her brother and sister-in-law just got back from the park - and they had a Hopper Pass and meal plan.

Has anyone had any experience with the meal plan? I have spoken with the travel agent and she said that the meal plan covers 1 snack, 1 counter service meal and 1 table service meal a day.

Do you guys think this is worth it? Or am I fine going my own route and eating at the counter service places?

Here's how my wife and I managed it on our honeymoon....We ate breakfast in our hotel room, at the park we paid for a fries and coke to split. we went out to eat dinner every night. WE spent about $500 on food the week we were there. I would say figure out how much you expect to pay for food without the meal plan. Take into consideration if you have a kitchen or even a fridge. Your dining style, and the type of places you want to eat at.

Me again..........My Inlaws will be going with us to Disneyworld.

It will be their Anniversary the second nite we're there.

I would LOVE to treat them to a GREAT Meal......can you suggest a resturant in the Park for a Kind of Romantic Dinner.

Again thanx for ALL the Replies !

BTW , I got the Goyl's a Lunch at Cinderella's Castle....!

Originally posted by Sknzfan

Me again..........My Inlaws will be going with us to Disneyworld.

It will be their Anniversary the second nite we're there.

I would LOVE to treat them to a GREAT Meal......can you suggest a resturant in the Park for a Kind of Romantic Dinner.

Some options:

* Victoria and Albert's at the Grand Floridian Resort

Here's a mini review I found:

"For fine dining in a stunning setting combined with virtually flawless service choose Victoria and Albert's at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort. Here you'll dine on white linen covered tables set with Royal Doulton china and crystal wine glasses to the strains of enchanting harp music."

... and another review:

"Victoria & Albert's is unquestionably the place to dine if you are celebrating something special at Walt Disney World. And it doesn't matter what: an anniversary, your honeymoon, or simply being on vacation. Any is reason enough to enjoy a dinner in this, Disney's most exclusive dining destination. Each evening, "V and A's" features two seatings in its serene dining rooms. Each table is served by "Victoria and Albert," a maid and butler team. The menu features what is best and freshest in the international marketplace and nothing is too fine (or too expensive) for this great restaurant: foie gras, caviar, pheasant, duck, or Kobe beef.

With award-winning chef Scott Hunnel in the kitchen, expect a masterpiece of every course. Victoria & Albert's is not your everyday, extraordinary dining experience. Be sure to opt for the Royal Wine Pairing to enjoy a specially selected wine for each course."

[Personal Note: This may be one of the few Disney restaurants we have not yet tried, probably because it's ridiculously expensive. But hey, we'll get there!]

* Bistro de Paris in the France pavilion at Epcot

"In Epcot's France Pavilion is Bistro de Paris, a charming dining room with an air of exclusivity. Filled with gilded mirrors and crimson banquettes, its billowy white drapes frame windows that overlook the World Showcase Lagoon.

Servers with delicious French accents roll out sensational dishes prepared with only the freshest ingredients. Afterward order a dessert of crepes prepared and flamed at your table while lingering over cordials and coffee in anticipation of the nightly Illuminations spectacle."

[Personal Note: My wife and I ate here on our first wedding anniversary, window table, watched the Epcot fireworks show -- very romantic (blecch!) :) ... and authentic; the French waiters were suitably rude ;) ]

* The California Grill at the Contemporary Resort

"The California Grill on the 15th floor of Disney's Contemporary Resort is a definite highlight for any connoisseur of cutting-edge cuisine.

The immense windows present an unbeatable panorama of the Magic Kingdom and the Seven Seas Lagoon and on many nights picture-perfect views of the Wishes fireworks show. From pristinely fresh sushi to the exceptional New American Cuisine to sensational desserts and the outstanding California wine list, this place has it all."

... and another:

"California Grill at Disney's Contemporary Resort

When it comes to garnering awards, the California Grill has been at the top of the Disney food chain for years. World-class dining at Walt Disney World began here, high atop Disney's Contemporary Resort. Cutting-edge California cuisine is the star in this restaurant's open kitchen and the day's menu depends on what is freshest and best in the marketplace. Brick-oven flatbreads, sushi, and a great assortment of entrees and desserts should put the California Grill on everyone's not-to-miss list."

* Arthur's 27 at the Wyndham Palace, Downtown Disney (not really in Disney World, but read on...)

"We think Arthur's 27 is the most overlooked restaurant at Disney. High atop the Wyndham Palace, Arthur's easily takes our award for best view and Arthur's is also one of the most beautiful and romantic places to dine at Walt Disney World. But there's more to Arthur's than just a pretty face. The restaurant features the wonderful cuisine of Chef Teresa Connors. On our last visit here, we enjoyed a stunning sea bass with orange buerre blanc and a fabulous appetizer of foie gras served on a hazelnut baklava. Besides an a la carte menu, Arthur's also offers two fixed-price, four- and five-course dinners. Either is the perfect way to introduce yourselves to this fine restaurant, where cuisine, service, and ambience all come together to make a perfect dining experience."

* Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge

* Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge

"Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge is home to two of our Disney favorites. Boma is our pick for Disney's best buffet and it is certainly one of the most exotic meals around. The huge spread not only features a variety of dishes from all over Africa, but also a tasty selection of American favorites. Whatever your tastes, you'll find plenty to enjoy here, and if you are an adventurous eater, this is a restaurant you'll not want to miss.

Jiko - The Cooking Place is the lodge's upscale eatery and it is beautiful, indeed. Beneath a flight of stylized bird lights and overlooking a small pond, Chef Anette Grecchi-Gray and her team serve up a menu of wonderful treats, each creation reflecting the varied cultures and abundant flavors of Africa. Roast duck, basil-crusted rack of lamb, and warm onion tart are just a few of Jiko's sublime offerings. If you haven't seen the Animal Kingdom Lodge, let either of these great dining choices be your reason to visit."

[Personal Note: We were at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for a week in June and ate at Boma, which my Disney-fanatic wife called "the best meal I've ever had at Disney" -- let me tell you, that's saying a lot seeing as she's been going to Disney for decades and eaten ('like a bird') at a lot of different Disney restaurants! It really was wonderful and a very nice setting, definitely not what you think of when somebody says "buffet." Although we didn't eat at Jiko, the restuarant looked beautiful and menu very interesting.]

I'm sure there are other choices that, depending on what folks are in the mood for, would be great, too, such as:

* Citrico's at the Grand Floridian Resort

* Coral Reef Restaurant at Epcot

* Shula's Steakhouse at the Dolphin Resort (supposedy an annual inclusion on just about every list of the top 10 steakhouses in the U.S.)

I hope this helps -- happy dining!

Archived