Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ahhhh, Peter King.....you jerk

@DCGoldPants

funny, I didn't see him tout Morton the past two years in giving the Redskins a TWO game edge having him back there on returns.

I hate to admit it, but at the time of his signing one Jets fan came on the board and told us that Morton had 3-4 monster games to start the 2002 season for the Jets, including the first where he returned 2 kicks for TDs, but that over the last 13 games he was merely average and didn't warrant the kind of bonus we gave him :(

Turns out the guy was right.

The argument that Morton is more than just a return man (which Vinny threw out there when he was signed) was debunked in that Dallas game where after injuries to our top runners, Morton had to come in and take some carries.

At 5'10 and 180 Morton lasted less than a quarter before a well placed hit or two knocked him out of the game.

He never caught on as a third down player either because as it turns out Ladell Betts has better hands as a receiver!

According to Peter King the bust in Washington commemorating the record-breaking season of Danny Wuerffel from 2002 should be nearing completion :laugh:

Maybe we should put the one for Chad Morton right next to it? :D

Originally posted by herrmag

That's about one of the most moronic things I've read this year. What factual analysis is he basing this on?

Peter King wouldn't know a fact if it landed on his platter. He's sure that analysis is something that only his proctologist should do.

wskin44, what the Jets fan was trying to tell us was that those two 80 yard run backs by Morton inflated his numbers into a pro bowl year, yet he failed to continue to make big plays down the stretch and that in retrospect Chad just had a run of 3-4 outstanding games....................much as we have seen Rod Gardner do SEVERAL times during his career :)

Take away those two runs and Betts probably outperformed Morton that year. As soon as the defenders knew about Morton and focused on him they bottled him up. It really makes you appreciate Brian Mitchell who continued to produce year after year.

Originally posted by bulldog

wskin44, what the Jets fan was trying to tell us was that those two 80 yard run backs by Morton inflated his numbers into a pro bowl year, yet he failed to continue to make big plays down the stretch and that in retrospect Chad just had a run of 3-4 outstanding games....................much as we have seen Rod Gardner do SEVERAL times during his career :)

Morton did start off the season very hot that season and then cooled off considerably. But in fairness to Morton, he cooled off because teams went out of their way to avoid kicking to him, which resulted in great field position anyway.

But he was never worth the money to Washington for 2 predictable reasons.

First, the Jets leveraged Morton's strengths through Westhoff, one of the NFL's best STs coaches. The entire unit was rock solid. Having a good return man is useless, unless the infrastructure is in place to take advantage of him. That didn't exist for the Redskins.

Second, Washington intended to use Morton in ways that extended beyond his limited skill set. He's a KO return man because of his speed and vision (when in a strong system), but he lacks top end acceleration from a standing position. This was a liability in PR. And as for using him out of the backfield, that was never a plausible scenario also due to his lack of acceleration, as well as size.

The transferability of a FA's skills is always a risk when bringing in new talent from another team. But when a player's skill set is incorrectly identified, it makes that transition even more difficult.

Originally posted by bulldog

According to Peter King the bust in Washington commemorating the record-breaking season of Danny Wuerffel from 2002 should be nearing completion :laugh:

Well, his bust would be near completion had we not drafted Fred Smoot. Picking Smoot has doomed the franchise and we still regret it to this day.

And I unfortunately have to agree (somewhat) with Flowtrain. It's kind of hard for Morton to use his skills when we don't block for him. There were many times when he had nowhere to run and it wasn't necessarily always his fault. It's too bad he got hurt last year because as the year went on, I thought he had a chance to break out. With that said, I'm glad he's gone because we gave him way too much money. I like Betts better anyways, and Antonio Brown should get a shot at shagging punts (except for Week 2!!).

Originally posted by Fatty P For The Pulitzer

Well, his bust would be near completion had we not drafted Fred Smoot. Picking Smoot has doomed the franchise and we still regret it to this day.

And I unfortunately have to agree (somewhat) with Flowtrain. It's kind of hard for Morton to use his skills when we don't block for him. There were many times when he had nowhere to run and it wasn't necessarily always his fault. It's too bad he got hurt last year because as the year went on, I thought he had a chance to break out. With that said, I'm glad he's gone because we gave him way too much money. I like Betts better anyways, and Antonio Bryant should get a shot at shagging punts (except for Week 2!!).

Antonio Bryant = Brown

Antonio Brown = Redskin :)

But otherwise I agree.

Many of you forget, including those Jets fans who laugh at the fact we gave Morton so much money.... is that the Jets matched our RFA offer but due to some fine print stuff (can't remember the exact reason) the Jets were unable to retain him and we ended up with him. I am not saying Morton was worth the money or saying he is going to win anybody 2 games... but at the time the Jets thought he was valuable enough for that contract AND we forget all the games in which our punt or kick returner would fumble the ball on the return... I'm not hating on A. Brown but didn't he fumble the ball in the Dallas game giving them the ball? Although our defense stopped them that posession... I'm pretty sure had they scored to take the lead, many would never want Brown returning a kick again, no matter how fast he is. To Morton's credit we never had to cringe at the fact that he could lose the ball and give it to the other team. :2cents:

Originally posted by Chris "Touchdown" Cooley

Many of you forget, including those Jets fans who laugh at the fact we gave Morton so much money.... is that the Jets matched our RFA offer but due to some fine print stuff (can't remember the exact reason) the Jets were unable to retain him and we ended up with him. I am not saying Morton was worth the money or saying he is going to win anybody 2 games... but at the time the Jets thought he was valuable enough for that contract AND we forget all the games in which our punt or kick returner would fumble the ball on the return...

This point is not forgotten, but it's even more understandable in light of my post above.

Morton was a better fit and had more value to the Jets than the Redskins because the Jets (1) had Westhoff, (2) had excellent STs blockers (3) had Moss returning punts, (4) had a full backfield.

So, it made sense for the Jets to match the Skins offer, but it didn't make sense for the Skins to make that offer in the first place.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Peter King wrote about the Patriots again. Color me surprised.

Yeah, I think he's in over his head with a national publication...he should write for the Globe.

I never thought much of the Morton signing and I'm not going to argue that it wasn't a mistake. I do find it amusing that King suddenly thinks he's some hot free agent. I guess we'll find out soon enough if he's right.

Originally posted by Henry

I never thought much of the Morton signing and I'm not going to argue that it wasn't a mistake. I do find it amusing that King suddenly thinks he's some hot free agent. I guess we'll find out soon enough if he's right.

you won't find out from him! that's for sure.

Did King ever admit he was wrong about Fred Smoot when he was a rookie?

Archived