Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Injury-prone Dyson adds experience

bubba9497

Injury-prone Dyson adds experience

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

http://www.washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20050606-115618-9897r

The Washington Redskins added a proven but injury-prone wide receiver yesterday in former Tennessee Titans standout Kevin Dyson.

Dyson, of Music City Miracle fame, could battle for snaps in a receiving corps that has some intriguing names ? Santana Moss, David Patten, Taylor Jacobs, James Thrash and Darnerien McCants ? but many questions.

First Dyson must prove he can stay healthy. He has played in just one game over the past two seasons after suffering major injuries in 2000 (two torn knee ligaments), 2002 (torn hamstring) and 2003 (torn Achilles' tendon). He sat out last year after being cut by the San Diego Chargers.

Redskins vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said Dyson ran well during his workout yesterday and showed he has regained some of his former explosiveness.

?He's a veteran receiver who brings some experience,? Cerrato said. ?He'll get a chance to compete.?

The Redskins hope Dyson, who turns 30 later this month, can regain the form he flashed in 1999, when he scored on a miraculous return to beat the Buffalo Bills in the playoffs and later came up inches short of the goal line to end Super Bowl XXXIV, and 2001. He had 54 catches in each of those seasons.

Moss is expected to start for Washington, but otherwise the receiving corps is unsettled. Coach Joe Gibbs has said he would like to see Jacobs, a 2003 second-round pick, step up and become a starter, perhaps signaling that Patten fits in best as a No. 3 receiver.

The Redskins also worked out veteran wide receiver Antonio Freeman but don't intend to sign him at this time.

Portis settles

Running back Clinton Portis deprived the Washington area of an interesting (and comical) court case today when he paid former Redskins safety Ifeanyi Ohalete $18,000 to settle their dispute over uniform No. 26.

Ohalete wore No. 26 as a Redskin and refused to give it up when Portis signed a blockbuster contract last spring. The two eventually worked out a deal in which Portis would pay Ohalete $40,000 for the number. They crafted a crude contract with equipment manager Brad Berlin as the witness.

Portis, however, made only the first $20,000 installment. When Ohalete was released during training camp, Portis figured his financial responsibility had ended. Several months later, Ohalete filed suit in Maryland District Court.

Attorney John Steren, who represented Ohalete, confirmed yesterday's settlement. He said 11th-hour negotiations took place with a lawyer representing Portis.

Schaffer promoted

The Redskins promoted salary cap manager Eric Schaffer to the position of director of football administration. There was no mention of new responsibilities for Schaffer, who has monitored cap issues and negotiated contracts for Washington the past two years.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Dyson, of Music City Miracle fame, could battle for snaps in a receiving corps that has some intriguing names ? Santana Moss, David Patten, Taylor Jacobs, James Thrash and Darnerien McCants ? but many questions.

?He's a veteran receiver who brings some experience,? Cerrato said. ?He'll get a chance to compete.?

? Is Vinny asking us ? or telling us ? So many questions ? marks ?

I have a feeling that patten in the slot is going to be an important decision for us. One of my friends, a big patriots fan, and someone who is deeply connected into the patriots organization, told me that patten will not be effective as a #1 or #2 receiver, so hopefully dyson or jacobs will step up into the #2 spot, so we can get a lot out of patten at #3.

Originally posted by RedskinzOwnU

I have a feeling that patten in the slot is going to be an important decision for us. One of my friends, a big patriots fan, and someone who is deeply connected into the patriots organization, told me that patten will not be effective as a #1 or #2 receiver, so hopefully dyson or jacobs will step up into the #2 spot, so we can get a lot out of patten at #3.

I think it's a given that Patten hasn't been brought in to be a #1 or #2. He'll most-likely be a #3 or #4 guy as well as Special Teams.

Nick

Originally posted by Sebowski

Is that 7 WRs on the roster that have a real shot at making the team?

Moss

Jacobs

Patten

Thrash

McCants

Brown

Dyson

--

Rod

McCants should be worried.

McCants inability/unwillingess to play special teams is a major negative in the decision making process for Gibbs. Unless he starts displaying some uber-improvement, I'm not sure he's going to make the team.

Assuming Dyson can stay healthy through OTA's and minicamp :doh:

If nothing else, it's another body out there at WR. From what I understand, he looked really good in the workout and demonstrated some of that explosiveness he was known for a few years ago. I think a healthy Dyson-Moss tandem would be a big improvement with Patten coming in as the #3 wideout.

Originally posted by DCMONEY

1 Question? Why?

competition. - The best man wins. If McCants doesn't want to work this season, then we have someone waiting in the wings that will, OR this will push McCants and McCants will beat Dyson for the lsat roster spot.

Originally posted by KingGibbs

I'd rather keep 50/50.

That would serve no purpose.

Archived