Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History's tough guys?

Spaceman Spiff

Daniel Boone : http://www2.worldbook.com/features/lewisandclark/html/pushing_early_boone.html

The Shawnee forced Boone to run the gauntlet. They formed two parallel rows and stood ready to beat him with their weapons as Boone ran between the rows. He escaped serious injury by running in a zigzag pattern. He lowered his head and butted the last warrior in the chest, running over him to safety. Chief Blackfish favored Boone and adopted him into the tribe as his own son. He gave Boone the name Shel-tow-ee (Big Turtle).

The Indians plucked all of Boone's hair from his head, except for a scalp lock (tuft of hair) on the crown. They took him to the river to "wash away his white blood." He was now a Shawnee brave. Sixteen of Boone's men also became braves. The Shawnee sold the other captives to the British at Detroit.

Escape and battle

Boone acted as if he loved Indian life, but he secretly waited for a chance to escape. When he learned that Blackfish was planning to attack Boonesborough, he could wait no longer. He had to warn his people. The distance to Boonesborough was 160 miles (260 kilometers). In June, Boone escaped and made the long, dangerous trip in four days.

a lot of the classical and baroque composers you hear about, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, these were original 'rock stars' right here.

Any of the major pirates, Captain Morgan, Bartholomew Roberts, Edward Teach (blackbeard), to take up piracy, legal or illegal, is pretty hardcore Id say.

Patton was just hardcore and insane.

King Leonidas of Sparta, defending the pass at Thermopylae with his 300 Spartans and few hundred more other peloponnesians.

-Gabrielle Dumont, despite the wussy name was a serious badass who almost singlehandedly won the northwest rebellion against the NWMP in canada.

-Xenophon if you have Leonidas at thermoplae you have to include the greatest march in history! took 10,000 greek mercs and marched across asia kicin persian a55!

-Alexander the great, came closest to conquering the known world.

-Gaius Julis Caeser, kicked serious a55 in Gaul.

-miyamoto musashi greatest duelist in history.

-Sun tsu, anybody who writes a book about war that is still in use thousands of years later must have been on the ball.

Ghengis Khan was a pretty bad guy -- as was Timurlane a few centuries later. His calling card in Baghdad was to leave a pyramid of skulls -- many thousands of skulls.

Hannibal was pretty bad ass too. He occupied Italy for better part of two decades -- and handed the Romans one of their worst defeats ever at Canae.

And from the modern day -- I'm also a Patton fan. Though I would say -- I can't remember where I read this (a Patton or a MacArthur biography) but evidently Mac was Patton's regimental commander in WWI. Story goes that Patton and a bunch of other officers are in the middle of a sh1tstorm -- bullets flying everywhere -- just digging into the dirt. And Mac comes walking up to them, and just stands there in the midst of it all -- like nothings happening.

Some folks are just wired differently :notworthy

Again, I've mentioned this book before on the forums, but I'll throw it out there again. If you dig history and/or you dig studying war -- you've gotta read "On Killing" by LTC Dave Grossman. It is the psychological explanation of why badasses are badasses.

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

Last night my friend told me the story of General Black Jack Pershing and how he squelched muslim terrorists back in the day. If you don't know it, look it up, it's a cool story.

Which lead me to wonder, who are the biggest badasses in history?

Genghis Khan (When it comes to destroying civillization and human progress in general in favor of ass backward nomads who couldn't make houses no one is more of a badass)

Alexander (how much of a badass do you have to be to take over the Persian Empire, kill thousands, burn down libraries, and all this while being a gay 20 year old)

Hitler (you have to ask?)

Napoleon (a short guy with size issues that decided to take over Euope, spread Liberal ideass while fighting, but eventually lost.)

Andrew JAckson (ignored the Supreme Court and started the trail of tears, pretty bad ass, but also nothing more than a criminal thug who caused an economic panic for his successor. Also likes dueling people)

James K Polk (incited a war with Mexico in the name of Manifest Destiny. He got us California, that is good.)

PS the sotry about Pershing isn't ture

Originally posted by zoony

Hitler was a notorious coward.

Why is everyone putting him on their list?

where do you get that from? just curious, but just look at his dumbass ideas. He was able to convince and entire country of people to worship him and his ideals without any merit. That is pretty badass.

Originally posted by Liberty

where do you get that from? just curious, but just look at his dumbass ideas. He was able to convince and entire country of people to worship him and his ideals without any merit. That is pretty badass.

That is impressive, sure... but he was not a badass. far from it.

I would also say the same about Patton. Sure he was a good general, but there was a saying that 3rd army had about 'ole blood & guts' (Patton's knickname)

"Yah, our blood, his guts :rolleyes:"

Originally posted by Liberty

Yea sure he did then then he shot himself so he would have to face all the angry people...wimp. You gotta stand up for the crazy sh*t you do to be a true bad ass.

What about the Beatles not as war bad asses but then revolutionized music and it wasn't a change that anybody was ready for but they stood up and took the heat until people came around. And then they just kept pushing the limits. ex: John and Yoko's first date pics lol

My definition is pretty broad, but getting mad ass, fighting in wars, over coming illness and having money and power are what sould be considered.

Just thinking of say the last 50 years some names that come to mind are JFK, Pat Tillman, Wilt Chamberlin, Bruce Lee, Elvis, McCarther,

Alltime- I think i'm looking at a guy like Napolean or Alexander the Great

Archived