Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins in violation as per football talk.com (Merged)

bsmsss

Geez, will people ever lay the f*** off Dan Snyder? Everyone is so quick to jump on him - and mostly for stuff that wouldn't even be his fault. It's Joe Gibbs' decision to film the drills - he, not Snyder - is the man running this team and secondly, I'm damn thankful that I can go to Redskins.com on a daily basis and see new footage - even if it is of a crane operator or a weightroom manager. The extra stuff is pretty cool and I'm glad it's there.

Originally posted by China

The rules for offseason workouts are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the NFLPA. They can be found here.

quote:

Section 4. Contact: There will be no contact work (e.g., “live” blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump‑and‑run) or use of pads (helmets permitted) at minicamps.

There is nothing in these rules that specifies one-on-one drills cannot be conducted. There are however limits to contact drills:

That's what you get for reading PFT.:laugh:

This isn't a minicamp, these are Organized Team Activity's (OTAs)

'SKINS INVESTIGATED FOR OTA VIOLATIONS

The Washington Redskins are in hot water with the NFL Players Association for alleged offseason workout violations.

We've heard from multiple league sources that the NFLPA is looking into whether the 'Skins have been engaging in 1-on-1 drills, which are a no-no for so-called Organized Team Activities.

And the evidence of the alleged violation hasn't come from an anonymous tip to the union. Instead, the investigation has been fueled by video of practices posted on the team's official web site.

More to come.

I know it's profootballtalk but this is disturbing news. Woops, I looked but apparently not good enough. Sorry for the repost

Originally posted by Leonard Washington

no 1-1 drills? that's a a wierd rule.

Actually, it makes good sense to me.

These are highly competitive, professional athletes. You put two of them head-to-head, and you're bound to get the juices flowing ... seems an open invitation to potential injury.

This rule is about the better part of valor and all that.

Originally posted by Om

Here's the full text from NFLPA covering voluntary offseason workouts:

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/main.asp?subPage=CBA+Complete#art35

The Redskins are not doing anything in their OTA's that runs afoul of any rule ... nor anything different from practically every other NFL team. If anyone can find a "bump and run" video from OTA's (not the rookie camp from earlier, and not Joe or Coy Gibbs providing "coverage" at the line), I'd be very surprised indeed.

Apparently PFT is simply even more bored than usual.

I watched a video on 'skins.com that had defensive players going against offensive linemen.

that was one on one, and it involved 'contact', i.e. blocking.

great, now I'm worried. :(

Originally posted by zoony

I watched a video on 'skins.com that had defensive players going against offensive linemen.

that was one on one, and it involved 'contact', i.e. blocking.

great, now I'm worried. :(

Don't be. The language reads:

Contact work (e.g., “live” blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump‑and‑run) is expressly prohibited in all off‑season workouts.

Casual contact---essentially walk-throughs---is a very different animal from a "live" drill, which implies FULL contact at game speed. This just ain't what's being done in OTA's.

Let's not make a mountain out of this molehill.

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

The vids are great.

I was thinking to my self though what is the difference between Gibbs OTA's and Ol Ball coaches Training camp lol

All spurrier ever did was 7 on 7 with no pads anyways

:laugh: :laugh: :notworthy

How True!

Apparently we released this statement.

http://profootballtalk.com/RedskinsJune2Statement.htm

REDSKINS.com VIDEO DRAWS LEAGUE INTEREST

ASHBURN, VA -- The Washington Redskins video coverage of ongoing Organized Team Activities (OTAs) at Redskins.com has drawn raves from fans, and scrutiny from the NFL.

An employee of the NFL Player’s Association viewed the Redskins.com video and notified the league of their concern that the O-line vs D-line work was too physical. League officials contacted the team, which has forwarded team video of relative portions of practice for review.

"These drills go on at every team in the league, during all portions of the practice year," said Assistant Head Coach Joe Bugel, the 28-year veteran responsible for the offensive line. "We have no problem with the review. Anyone who has ever played on the O- or D-line at this level knows that the physical contact bears no resemblance to that experienced in a regular-season practice or game day."

The team's union representatives -- defensive lineman Reynaldo Wynn, wide receiver James Thrash, and offensive lineman Ray Brown -- have been in touch with the league and the NFLPA to represent the player's view that nothing in the OTA workouts is outside the rules.

Since the onset of OTAs two weeks ago Redskins.com has given fans a unique view of the previously private reduced practices. Fans have flocked to the daily video updates in increasing numbers as the team cameras provided player interviews, behind-the-scenes looks at Redskins Park and never-before-seen glimpses of OTA activities.

Head Coach Joe Gibbs added, "When we decided to give Redskins.com access to these sessions we knew fans would be seeing things they never have seen before.”

"Upon launch of our 'Redskins Unfiltered' video view at Redskins.com we knew we'd be providing a special view of the team's world and fans have responded accordingly," said Larry Michael, the team's executive producer of the videos. "The team has given us unprecedented access and fans are watching in numbers we didn’t expect this early in the development of Redskins.com video.”

Each day Redskins.com has targeted a different position drill. Recently, the cameras focused on drills pitting offensive and defensive linemen against one another. The drills, at reduced speed, are intended to help players on each side of the ball improve their technique, particularly hand- and foot-work.

Under OTA rules, players do not wear pads - only helmets. Intensive physical contact is kept at a minimum.

Originally posted by laurent

What is your point?

Is the paperbag in the way of reading the quote? The person quoted a rule describing one-on-one drills in mini-camps. The video in question is of an OTA, not a mini-camp/

Now do you see the point?

There is a video on that website where offensive linemen are running drills against defensive lineman.

Pretty sure that would be considered contact but what I'm not sure of is whether or not it's within the rules.

Archived