Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

heath shuler wonderlic score was bad

bsmsss

i will take the wait and see approach with campbell pick--however most qb with a low wonderlic score bomb in the nfl--see heath shuler as one of many examples

i think ryan leaf also scored very low on the wonderlic test as well

hopefull campbell doesnt become another one

Jason Campbell's first wonderlic score was low. He took it again, and did much better.

link

I heard two things when I asked around on Friday. One: he scored a very pedestrian 14 on his Wonderlic test last year, then got it up to 28 this year. Teams are suspicious that he studied for his Wonderlic and the 14 is closer to what his true score is. Two: If he was so good, why didn't the Auburn offensive staff design the games around him instead of the great backs?My rejoinders: In the case of the Wonderlic, wouldn't you want your quarterback to work to get better where he's deficient? I would. And look how the kid adjusted to four different offensive coordinators in his Auburn career. He obviously was able to digest a lot of X's and O's pretty well. In regard to play-calling, let's remember two things: First, SEC coaches voted Campbell the 2004 offensive player of the year. And he averaged 21 pass attempts a game. This isn't Bob Griese with Kiick, Csonka and Morris, folks. This is a guy who controlled a high-octane offense and was the ringleader.

THE WONDERLIC HAS NO CORRELATION TO PASSING PERFORMANCE. REPEAT: THE WONDERLIC HAS NO CORRELATIN TO PASSING PERFORMANCE.

http://www.thesportjournal.org/2005Journal/Vol8-No2/mac-mirabile.asp

DID I MENTION THAT THE WONDERLIC HAS NO CORRELATION TO PASSING PERFORMANCE?

That argument is like saying since some bad NFL QBs liked pancakes Campbell will be a bad QB because he likes pancakes.

Also, just to clarify, THERE IS NO CORRELATION BETWEEN LIKING PANCAKES AND PASSING PERFORMANCE.

I bet Mark Brunell has a high wonderlic, look at how courageously he sees defenders coming at him, and then calculates the time before they come, deciding when the opportune moment is to throw the ball to the sideline.

Originally posted by bobzmuda

That argument is like saying since some bad NFL QBs liked pancakes Campbell will be a bad QB because he likes pancakes.

Also, just to clarify, THERE IS NO CORRELATION BETWEEN LIKING PANCAKES AND PASSING PERFORMANCE.

Originally posted by Mr. S

I bet Mark Brunell has a high wonderlic, look at how courageously he sees defenders coming at him, and then calculates the time before they come, deciding when the opportune moment is to throw the ball to the sideline.

I think that your example is a little bit lacking; or at least it doesn't support the point you seem to think it does.

Marino was incredble throughout his career and had a poor wonderlic

Schuler and Leaf were both poor for their whole careers(in their youths) with poor wonderlics

Brunell was a great QB in his youth with a good wonderlic, but now he's old and inept. Wonderlic doesn't have anything to do with it, age does.

Originally posted by Joeythetapeworm

I think that your example is a little bit lacking; or at least it doesn't support the point you seem to think it does.

Marino was incredble throughout his career and had a poor wonderlic

Schuler and Leaf were both poor for their whole careers(in their youths) with poor wonderlics

Brunell was a great QB in his youth with a good wonderlic, but now he's old and inept. Wonderlic doesn't have anything to do with it, age does.

He was saying Brunell's high Wonderlic score didn't do anything for him, or at least not the past few years.

Originally posted by dfitzo53

He was saying Brunell's high Wonderlic score didn't do anything for him, or at least not the past few years.

I understand that and am saying that Brunell's high wonderlic score may have done a lot for him(didn't he go to a conference championship some years back?) but that you can't expect a wonderlic score to even be a factor when the physical tools just aren't there anymore, and age has taken its toll.

I'm saying that the "or at least not the past few years. " disclaimer makes his point irrelevant to the discussion. It's like saying "Sammy Baugh had an excellent wonderlic score but he couldn't win us any games today, at 90 years old. Therefore the wonderlic is meaningless"

Originally posted by Joeythetapeworm

I understand that and am saying that Brunell's high wonderlic score may have done a lot for him(didn't he go to a conference championship some years back?) but that you can't expect a wonderlic score to even be a factor when the physical tools just aren't there anymore, and age has taken its toll.

I'm saying that the "or at least not the past few years. " disclaimer makes his point irrelevant to the discussion. It's like saying "Sammy Baugh had an excellent wonderlic score but he couldn't win us any games today, at 90 years old. Therefore the wonderlic is meaningless"

Relax. It was a joke.

Originally posted by dfitzo53

How would you say that helps?

Thinking too much can be a bad thing, it is best to let instict take care of some things. That is why sometimes "slow" players can accel. Plus they are less likely to question the coaches.

haha, yeh really Joeythetapeworm, it was a weak attempt, but I was just merely doing a little Brunell bashing. Skins11 had the right idea.

Now, you are comparing age with player ability by bringing in Sammy Baugh. That is pretty irrelevant however, other QBs have played better than Brunell did for us this season at older ages. Since he has appeared in the thread already, Dan Marino for one. Also, Brett Favre is hands down better than Brunell despite being similar in age. Right now id take Gus Frerotte or Doug Flutie as well. Rich Gannon had a good season or two in Oakland, as well as Brad Johnson a few years ago. Sammy Baugh is frikkin 90 years old, Brunell is 35 now I believe, and was signed to be a conceivable starter at 34. I have just shown how other QB's at that age have still done well and won. Your analogy is weak in that sense. Im sure skins11 implied that it is case by case as well, no 2 people are alike, and that we all agree that wonderlic probably means very little.

Archived