Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier says sweeping changes on 980

jbooma

Originally posted by Art

JB,

What you're saying is if the Redskins were the only team in the league to score touchdowns 100 percent of the time in the red zone we'd win a lot more games?

Art once again I am disappointed in you :doh:

I didn't say 100% time I just named a few games where it would have made a big difference. I think 4 of these games were inside the 5 and couldn't punch it in, that is pathetic, stop trying to write some novel about percentates or something and just admit if we had a RB that could punch it in we would have won at least 4 or 5 more games.

When you get the ball at the 1 or inside the 5 you should score a TD 100% of the time, there are no excuses.

Originally posted by Flowtrain

Danny: "Vinny, please remove the electrodes. The brainwash is complete." :pimp:

Flow don't get us started now. We have been nice to you, for now. Let me guess Moss scored again and you want us to know right ;)

Or is this another I love Chad thread.

By the way, why did you bench your $40 million dollar DT :laugh:

Perhaps Booma and Art are BOTH right. Perhaps we aren't getting to the redzone enough to begin with, and, the PERCENTAGE of times we score a touchdown when we DO make it to the redzone is low.

I don't know the percentage...I'm just playing devil's advocate. But I think you have to look at both (a) how often you get to the redzone and (B) what percentage of the time you score a touchdown when you do make it to the redzone.

How many short FGs we've kicked on the season only tells half the story...it's the touchdown PERCENTAGE you have to look at there. If we're not making it to the redzone often enough, AND our touchdown PERCENTAGE within the redzone is low, then it would seem that Art and Booma are both right on this one.

Originally posted by jbooma

Flow don't get us started now. We have been nice to you, for now. Let me guess Moss scored again and you want us to know right ;)

Or is this another I love Chad thread.

By the way, why did you bench your $40 million dollar DT :laugh:

Booma is not in a good mood today.

I just thought it was interesting that you still view FA as the first means of correcting the team's troubles. That's all.

As for Robertson, he contributed to a shutout win on Sunday -- but as was the preseason plan -- he's part of a 4 DT rotation. I can't really say he's been impressive, but has come along about how you'd expect a rookie DT (statistically better than Sapp's rookie year for what it's worth).

How's the grooming of young drafted D-linemen going on your end?

Originally posted by Flowtrain

Booma is not in a good mood today.

I just thought it was interesting that you still view FA as the first means of correcting the team's troubles. That's all.

Flow you didn't understand anything I said. What I meant is you are not going to get a stud DT that can dominate and be effective right away. Case in point the young DT that the Jets signed. We need some young DT's in the draft I agree, but we also need DT's that can play now. It is obvious we don't have that. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a DT but if we can find one for cheap in free agency then we have to look that way.

Personally I think we will sign Gardner to a low value deal as well as Russel. Then we might look for another DE, and draft at least to DL.

I also don't want to waste a #1 pick just on a reach for a DT. We have other needs we need to take care of as well as DL.

I know your young DT is doing okay, but he doesn't look to be a #1 pick. It is hard to find a good DT in the first round, look at Courtney Brown.

I also think Brown might come here for cheap just to be able to play with Lavar again, and that would be nice :)

Originally posted by La muerte de Bufford

Find a team in the league that was willing to pay what Davis would of made in DC.

There aren't any. If he would have been willing to play here for this contract, he would still be here: http://www.nflpa.org/Members/playerProfile.asp?ID=24083

Spurrier said all along that Davis was an excellent back and that he would have liked to keep him but it was a $ thing. He never said anything different, but a lot of people attributed other words and motives to him.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

There are a couple of examples of what Jbooma is talking about and here are a few I can think of off the top of my head

Week 4 vs. NE, first drive we get in the red zone and the drive stalled with Ramsey being sacked on 3rd down. A TD punched in there and its not a nail biter in the end

Week 7 vs Buffalo, This was huge. We punch it in instead of having the goal line fumble, its a 7-7 game and we have the "mo"

Week 11 vs Carolina, Once again goal line fumbles cost us that game

Week 12 vs Miami, 3 field goals, 2 when we were threatening to score TD's. Once again we put the game out of reach if we get TD's instead of FG's.

The whole point is yeah we may have only 7 FG's in the red zone but they were huge in terms of losing the 4 points a TD would have gotten us and could easily have changed the course of 4 games, 3 of which would have been wins. We are looking at 8-6 rather then 5-9

Jbooma,

You say things on here that are inaccurate in your desparate attempt to defend your boy, but when people prove you wrong you say they don't understand you, or that you are dissapointed in them. Consider this:

1. We had a big back and SOS didn't use him. Big country would have renegotiated if he thought he would have been part of the offense.

2. Rock has been pretty good in short yardage situation other than the 1 fumble.

3. Spurrier's playcalling has been the most predictable in the redzone, though I will give him credit for the Gardner to Canidate play as being a great call.

I totally agree w/ Art's point that if we're going to make big or sweeping changes then we might as well change the coach as well. Last year the Spurrier defenders were saying that Davis didn't fit the offense. Now Spurrier says you need a big back in the NFC East. Well no sh1t Sherlock. Last year Spurrier said he needed speed. Well Snyder went out and got him 3 very fast players and the offense isn't any better. I agree we need a back, but if we get one, will Steve utilize him?

If Spurrier is on for one more year, then sweeping changes in personel would be a big mistake IMHO. Upgrade the Dline, draft a back, and see what SOS can do? If he still can't get it done, he's out of excuses and it's time to send him packing.

The trouble is that it isn't either/or. The Skins are making sweeping changes to the roster. There will be at least 30% roster change-over. Over 50% of the roster are either FAs, RFAs, or bums like Flem. I can't imagine any scenario where the Skins dump less than 30% of the roster.

So given that, do you keep Spurrier or dump him?

Originally posted by GSF

Jbooma,

You say things on here that are inaccurate in your desparate attempt to defend your boy, but when people prove you wrong you say they don't understand you, or that you are dissapointed in them. Consider this:

1. We had a big back and SOS didn't use him. Big country would have renegotiated if he thought he would have been part of the offense.

2. Rock has been pretty good in short yardage situation other than the 1 fumble.

3. Spurrier's playcalling has been the most predictable in the redzone, though I will give him credit for the Gardner to Canidate play as being a great call.

GSF first off I haven't said anything inaccurate. I am not deparate to defend Spurrier, but he has gone straight from College, and it is known it takes a while to get use to the NFL.

If you read the other posters they would show you that Art and I are both right. There were games were we couldn't punch it in that cost us.

Spurrier said he would like to have kept Davis, we all know that Davis wanted out and Snyder wanted him gone, who knows who is telling the truth there. Rock has been decent, but when you are on the 1 yardline and you can't punch it in in 2 trys, then to me that shows he isn't capable of doing it.

As for changes, I don't know how much or little of the roster will change. I think what spurrier is hinting at is the FO more then the team.

It's my view that we should indeed feature a power back like Rock or Betts, feed them, and take shots deep. I wish we'd use Coles like the Colts use Marvin. We all know who the ball's going to over there, its no secret.

Ball Coach should rewrite his offense. Forget just trying to translate his old dumb playbook from college. Just rewrite it for coles and ramsey and a strong feature back. A power back and a speedy wr-core. Who has that?

I would like us to get a better RB back as much as anyone, but what good would it do us if the RB only gets 10-15 carries a game? Most big RBs are used to wear a defense down for the second half when a tired D will tend to give up longer runs and then get faked out with the playaction pass. If we get a big back but don't follow that formula, I am not sure what difference it would make. We have seen Trung & Rock put together some nice runs and get some tough yards, and how are they rewarded.......by having Spurrer make them take the next 10 plays off with some passing plays.

Before reading this post just realize that I am not a Spurrier supporter.

But one of the things you must understand is that just b/c SS got rid of Stephen Davis does not mean he will not utilize a back like Davis if we aquire one. At the time Davis was cut Spurrier did not believe his offense required a back such as Davis to be sucessful. He was a new NFL coach and was under the impression that a shifty back with speed i.e. Trung could be effective. It had worked for him before so he thought it would work again.

After this season it became apparent that a back like Davis is just what the redskins need. JBOOMA is right when he says we need a back who can "punch it in." Spurrier realizes he was wrong and now understands that a big running back who can pound the ball consistenly can still work in his offense. He could also use Betts, Morton, Trung, or any of his other players as a change of pace or third down guy.

bingo!

that's why most teams have a functional GM, so when the rookie coach wants to rid himself of proven players the GM steps in and reviews the situation to ensure the club isn't making a mistake it is going to regret down the road :D

in Washington Spurrier is looking to Cerrato and Snyder for leadership? :laugh:

geez, when you put it like that, I am almost feeling sorry for the guy.

that is until I think of his weekly bank deposit after the 27-0 jacking out at Fedex :mad:

Archived