Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is it me?

Leonard Washington

or is trotter slow as hell? i noticed a lot of the cutbacks and screens in the flat this year have been on trotter's man. he has been good when he attacks and is correct but misdirection and rundown plays have been lacking. i know he is coming off knee surgery but his overall speed/accelleration has been terrible. a couple of plays i can think of where trotter's man made plays were the QC scramble for a TD (and another scramble earlier in the game) and also hambrick's big run in the third.

any comments?

I think he's still got some problems with the knee. We knew he almost sat himself down after the Buffalo game. I think he's shown very good speed chasing players down. Last week he out ran Barber for an example. His problem has been with his quickness. When he's right he's a lot faster than Ray Lewis -- who isn't that fast, but he's instictive -- and he's quicker than he's shown. His problem that I've seen is that he takes another step or two to hit his speed and that's throwing his game off.

I'm hoping he gets healthy enough to really show something here before he's let go :).

Trotter is a poor fit in Washington because he and LaVar Arrington play the same style were their aggressiveness occasionally gets the best of them.

When you have ONE player that tends to rove to make plays that is problematic for a defense at times.

But when you have TWO, then you end up with major breakdowns.

Ideally if you are going to allow Arrington to be a rover you need to find a stay at home middle linebacker that can take on the run and be assured to play the scheme and be in position.

The Skins had that with the Millen/Gouveia platoon at MLB when Wilber Marshall was playing a rover back in 1991.

Sometimes you can have a lot of talent but not end up with a winning combination because of clashing or competing styles of play.

That is where the good GM comes in.

It is the determination that a given player X or Y in free agency or the draft fits what you are trying to do that down the line means success or failure.

You can't take a WCO quarterback and plug him into a Rams style vertical passing game and expect to not miss a beat, even if that player has been a pro bowler elsewhere.

Ditto for guys on defense moving from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and vice versa.

In Trotter's case it was $7 million that could have been more productively spent in pursuit of a top shelf pass rusher at DE or an inside presence at DT.

Behind a pro bowler like Corey Simon or Sam Adams you could play Kevin Mitchell at MLB and have a very good defense.

Not to say that Mitchell is the athlete that Trotter is, because he isn't, but he is a guy that can be effective given the right circumstances.

And COST effective as well :)

Bulldog, couldn't disagree more.

Trotter and arrington have what I would say are opposite skill sets. Arrington works well in space. Pick, your favorite laVar play, and tell me whathe did on it.....

Trotter works well shooting a gap.

So.... Have trotter shoot the gap and have arrington play the space behind it, or blitz them both, as wehave on what, 60% of the third downs this year?

-DB

Trotter did look slow. Maybe Art is right and the knee is still bothering him. Jesse is playing very well and doesn't look slow at all. One thing in Trotter's defense is that our DT's were getting blown backwards into Trotter for much of the game.

the problem with our LBs this year has been they are always missing asignments. If they see even a remote chance of getting to the QB they ALWAYS take the bait and go for the sack rather then sit back and coverage. That is why constantly all year, 3yd dump passes turn into 15 yard games, because the LBs are blowing assignments.

Archived