Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eudaimonia & Co: What America Still Doesn’t Understand About Fascism

Bozo the kKklown

Is America on the track towards fascism?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is America on the track towards fascism?

https://eand.co/what-america-still-doesnt-understand-about-fascism-6be87e33b7e3

80% of Americans now live paycheck to paycheck. 70% have less than $1000 in savings. 70% expect their kids to live worse lives. Life expectancy is falling. Real incomes are shrinking. Suicides are skyrocketing. Depression and loneliness are soaring. The old can’t afford to retire, and the young can’t afford to start families. The middle class has imploded, and the ranks of the poor have swollen. What does all this really say?

America is a rich country that effectively became a poor one — in the space of a generation. Is it any surprise that this sudden, unexpected, historic collapse would massively, catastrophically destabilize society — and give rise to fascism?

(Perhaps you object. The mistake many Americans make is to think that flat-screen TVs and microwave ovens somehow make them better off than people in poorer countries. They don’t. People in Pakistan and Chile can afford those things, too. Poverty — the experience of deprivation — is a truer thing that not having a flat-screen TV. It’s about living at the edge of perpetual ruin, which is something that most Americans now face daily)

Read The Rest:

https://eand.co/what-america-still-doesnt-understand-about-fascism-6be87e33b7e3

Jesus, another end if the world article?  Can we at least wait to see how the 2018 election goes before making anymore "we're doomed" predictions?  I mean, i agree that a lot of people don't get that we can be a 1st world superpower and authoritarian, jus not sure where to go with this conversation here (looking for your lead on this one @BenningRoadSkin)

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Jesus, another end if the world article?  Can we at least wait to see how the 2018 election goes before making anymore "we're doomed" predictions?  I mean, i agree that a lot of people don't get that we can be a 1st world superpower and authoritarian, jus not sure where to go with this conversation here (looking for your lead on this one @BenningRoadSkin)

This video is a must watch.  First of all, its ****ing hilarious.  ?  Second, its the absolute best takedown of the alt right and the outraged left I have ever seen, and exactly what some of us have been saying since trump was elected.  Get outside.  Get a hobby.

Nsfw for a bit of language

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1870904259886168&id=110663845622936&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FzOzvBHLW3L&_rdr

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I just feel it is something to think about but we do have fascists in the executive office and political party that supports it along with the supreme court now on the brink of supporting it.

I don't know if the world is ending but I am also not going to ignore the indicators.

8 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I just feel it is something to think about but we do have fascists in the executive office and political party that supports it along with the supreme court now on the brink of supporting it.

I don't know if the world is ending but I am also not going to ignore the indicators.

Me either, and not suggesting we do.  

I think what id like to see from this thread is the conversation on whether we have the institutions is place to prevent authoritarianism.  I think losing political support is not the same as laws being in place to prevent it.  As a representative democracy, we'd have to keep voting for it to get not point of no return so we have to vote against it, but thats jus my opinion.

I do appreciate you bringing attention to the issue, jus not sure where you were going with posting because i believe at this point we already get this, you know what I'm saying?  Discussion forum so jus making sure why you want to discuss so i don't go off-topic.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Me either, and not suggesting we do.  

I think what id like to see from this thread is the conversation on whether we have the institutions is place to prevent authoritarianism.  I think losing political support is not the same as laws being in place to prevent it.  As a representative democracy, we'd have to keep voting for it to get not point of no return so we have to vote against it, but thats jus my opinion.

I do appreciate you bringing attention to the issue, jus not sure where you were going with posting because i believe at this point we already get this, you know what I'm saying?  Discussion forum so jus making sure why you want to discuss so i don't go off-topic.

I am not sure most posters on this forum are seeing this as the start of a fascist takeover and realize what is happening. That is why I am bringing it up.

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

It's called the 2nd ammendment. 

In all seriousness, that was written before automatic weapons and tanks were invented.  It would have to be a gurrelia war, but do people really believe we could over throw most powerful military world has ever seen or just saying that? 

12 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I am not sure most posters on this forum are seeing this as the start of a fascist takeover and realize what is happening. That is why I am bringing it up.

You should add a poll then to help make your point on this.  Think you're underestimating the boars and jus sick of the usually suspects trying to play this off best they can.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

In all seriousness, that was written before automatic weapons and tanks were invented.  It would have to be a gurrelia war, but do people really believe we could over throw most powerful military world has ever seen or just saying that?

Depends.  You have to figure a decent amount of the military would defect or whatever and probably take their toys with them.  Some states have a pretty decent National Guard and would probably a few would successfully takeover the military bases in their states and the toys that come with that.  And the Afghans have done a good job of showing that technology and might only take you so far.  

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Depends.  You have to figure a decent amount of the military would defect or whatever and probably take their toys with them.  Some states have a pretty decent National Guard and would probably a few would successfully takeover the military bases in their states and the toys that come with that.  And the Afghans have done a good job of showing that technology and might only take you so far.  

A lot of assumptions here.  Syria had defections as well, and Trump with an 80+% approval rating among republicans makes me feel we cant count out Red states going against him if it got to this point.  Thats the entire middle kd the country.  I'd argue Afghanistan is an issue of lack of resources being used inefficiently.  Feds would go all in on an insurrection at home and no one would come to help us.  Think if it gets to this point we are screwed, facisim and America First might as well get a room together.

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@BenningRoadSkin i see you out the poll, good one, and voted yes.  With caveat that 2018 is probably our last chance to stop it.  Trump gets re-elected, its over i think, Pence runs for VP and keeps things going without the Twitter tirades would be tough to beat, especially if economy stays in this direction (2024 is longtime from now)

The next recessionary cycle is predicted to begin by the end of 2020.  

http://fortune.com/2018/06/04/recession-2020-trump-trade/

Of course a guy that stumbled into the presidency and had no business ever holding that job is gifted an outstanding economy, and whoever is left picking up the pieces will start just as a recession does.  

1 hour ago, zoony said:

This video is a must watch.  First of all, its ****ing hilarious.  ?  Second, its the absolute best takedown of the alt right and the outraged left I have ever seen, and exactly what some of us have been saying since trump was elected.  Get outside.  Get a hobby.

Nsfw for a bit of language

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1870904259886168&id=110663845622936&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FzOzvBHLW3L&_rdr

That was fantastic, thank you for sharing.

21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The next recessionary cycle is predicted to begin by the end of 2020.  

http://fortune.com/2018/06/04/recession-2020-trump-trade/

Of course a guy that stumbled into the presidency and had no business ever holding that job is gifted an outstanding economy, and whoever is left picking up the pieces will start just as a recession does.  

In theory, though not something I'm rooting for with trillion dollar deficits again.  BS Trump is getting credit for things Obama was doing and right said didn't count, like unemployment not being true measure.  Want to believe with his approval rating a recession would guarantee him out of office in 2020 (but he wasn't supposed to get elected in first place : / )

Edit: not saying you are rooting a recession, let me be clear in that

We've been trending towards Imperialism, hard-Right government, military-adventurism, Christian fundamentalism, and oligarchy for a long time.  It happened under the fog of post-war prosperity.  I don't know if fascism is wrapped up in there somewhere, but Trump is the cartoonish manifestation of all of the ****ing stupid choices this country has made over the last 60 years and he's a fascist.  He is a profoundly stupid wannabe strong man dictator who understands literally nothing about liberalism and democracy and human rights.  He is a white trash moron who got a radicalized right wing to follow him and who is currently being propped up as a useful idiot by a right-wing shadow government using his presidency to cram through tax cuts for oligarchs and pack the judiciary with far Right sympathizers that will cement their power.

In theory, though not something I'm rooting for with trillion dollar deficits again.  BS Trump is getting credit for things Obama was doing and right said didn't count, like unemployment not being true measure.  Want to believe with his approval rating a recession would guarantee him out of office in 2020 (but he wasn't supposed to get elected in first place : / )

I am generally of the opinion that Presidents get too much credit and blame for the economy, outside of a for-real crisis.  The economy that Obama inherited was in a legit crisis, and he should get credit for what he did in the first few months to stabilize it (despite the criticism he took for bailing out the big banks), but I also think that the economy was always going to bounce back - and do so agonizingly slowly - and policies from DC were only going to affect that on the margins.  The economy Trump inherited was always going to continue growing and both his tax cuts and trade wars probably only make a difference on the margins.  The progression of GDP and unemployment and most other economic (not budget) indicators are a straight line between the Obama and Trump presidencies.  

It just sucks that we missed an opportunity to address the deficit and myriad other issues that can only be addressed during boom times because Trump decided to give $1.5 trillion to companies so they could buy their own stock back.  Republicans have zero claim going forward to being the party of fiscal responsibility; they are children with a credit card. 

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

n all seriousness, that was written before automatic weapons and tanks were invented.  It would have to be a gurrelia war, but do people really believe we could over throw most powerful military world has ever seen or just saying that

How are we doing against the taliban?

Also, they have 1/1000 the amount of guns as texas alone

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I am generally of the opinion that Presidents get too much credit and blame for the economy, outside of a for-real crisis.  The economy that Obama inherited was in a legit crisis, and he should get credit for what he did in the first few months to stabilize it (despite the criticism he took for bailing out the big 

I agree completely with your first sentence.

However, by Obama, you mean Bush right?

13 minutes ago, zoony said:

How are we doing against the taliban?

Also, they have 1/1000 the amount of guns as texas alone

You must of misread my post, we typically see complaints over the years of not enough troops, taking too log to learn take and hold, and unbeleivable amount of waste over there.  Our post invasion policies in the middle east always come across as half-assed to me, one foot in one foot out.

Also Texas is so Red now thats the last state id expect to defect in insurrection scenario. 

I agree completely with your first sentence.

However, by Obama, you mean Bush right?

Believe there were two bailouts, one by Bush, another by Obama.

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

No, but would love to hear your cranky Fox News take on this one. :)

Not so much a take as it is history.  Maybe Im misunderstanding you though.  TARP (or as you put it, bailing out the big banks) was President Bush.  Had nothing to do with Obama.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubled_Asset_Relief_Program

The Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) is a program of the United States government to purchase toxic assets and equity from financial institutions to strengthen its financial sector that was signed into law by President George W. Bush on October 3, 2008. It was a component of the government's measures in 2008 to address the subprime mortgage crisis.

Believe there were two bailouts, one by Bush, another by Obama.

I remember a stimulus by Obama, but not a bailout.  The stimulus was way too small to be effective.  Roughly 600 million iirc.  But, we got a new school, definktely no hate from me on that.  Wish it could have been bigger, gop ****ed him on that

There was also a lot of Quantitative Easing.  But that was Bernanke, a Bush appointee

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You must of misread my post, we typically see complaints over the years of not enough troops, taking too log to learn take and hold, and unbeleivable amount of waste over there.  Our post invasion policies in the middle east always come across as half-assed to me, one foot in one foot out.

The larger point is small arms holding off larger armies

The Soviets threw their entire army at afghanistan in the 1980s and tucked tail.  This was after the British tried a century ago

The reason we went to afghanistan with unconventional forces, or as you put it 'limite resources` was very intentional.  We learned in vietnam and we learned from the soviets, you cannot fight a guerilla was with conventional means

It would be no different here.  2nd ammendment is defense against tyranny, period, and an effective one at that.

These are just my opinions of course.  But theyre the right opinions!  ?

23 minutes ago, zoony said:

I remember a stimulus by Obama, but not a bailout.  The stimulus was way too small to be effective.  Roughly 600 million iirc.  But, we got a new school, definktely no hate from me on that.  Wish it could have been bigger, gop ****ed him on that

There was also a lot of Quantitative Easing.  But that was Bernanke, a Bush appointee

I get what you're saying.  TARP was Bush's bailout, ARRA was Obama's stimulus (about $800/billion)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Recovery_and_Reinvestment_Act_of_2009

If im not mistaken he got money to local governments to keep many of them from slashing themselves to death to stay solvent (stimulus) and bailed out American auto industry. But looking it up, they weren't packaged together, they were separate deals made because of the same recession (thanks for reminder). 

Obama's legacy to me was being too nice to bring about the change we all felt he was capable of.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Obama's legacy to me was being to nice to being about the change we all felt he was capable of.

He was incredibly naive about the hornets nest he was walking into.  I think he honestly felt he could pull off a Team of Rivals like Lincoln and get the GOP to work with him.  It was a disaster, and honestly, I think thats on him.  Almost every in depth interview i saw or read with the guy he mentioned Lincoln and his writings

He should have been more like trump and just steamrolled them.  

Archived