AsburySkinsFan

The Smoking Room (cigar smoker's thread)

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

 

I actually had one of these last night.  Not too cold to be outside.

 

Damn, it was delicious.  I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Nice and spicy.

Mine are still resting. 😞

The plan was to smoke the Le Bijou with my friend over Christmas and the Andalusian Bulls over New Years... unfortunately I spent the last month sick with upper respiratory garbage. I had a brief respite this last week, but yesterday....bam! It's back! 😞

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Mine are still resting. 😞

The plan was to smoke the Le Bijou with my friend over Christmas and the Andalusian Bulls over New Years... unfortunately I spent the last month sick with upper respiratory garbage. I had a brief respite this last week, but yesterday....bam! It's back! 😞

 

Suffering the same thing with the same LFD sitting in my humidor, waiting to be enjoyed, along with several others I'm dying to smoke...Ah the joys of having a 2-year-old in daycare...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to take advantage of the "warmer" weather to enjoy this stick.

 

attachment.jpg

 

Cigar Of The Day:

 Montecristo Platinum Series Dominican
Cold: leathery, draw sweet leather
Construction: well packed, burn was fairly consistent, ash only lasted an inch or so, only needed some minor touch ups.
First third: medium body, creamy leather, mild pepper finish. Retro for the sweetness.
Second third: consistent creamy leather, pepper finish sits on the back your throat. Retro: still sweet leather, but with growing pepper.
Final third: flavors muddle, leather is replaced by tobacco, creaminess almost gone. Retro, leathery with mild pepper.
Impressions: an average medium bodied stick, flavors are fairly consistent throughout. Smoke production light, but picks up after a puff or two.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These beauties arrived in the mail the other day...two weeks in the humidor then one of them goes up in smoke!!

 

Macanudo Vintage Maduro 1997

 

31816133984_d22199d0a4_b.jpg

 

31846755453_63819dd735_b.jpg

 

These RoMa Crafts showed up a few days ago.

Right to Left: CroMagnon, Intemperance, CroMagnon Aquitaine

32659268405_ae1f7f5bf4_b.jpg

 

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CigarOfTheDay RomaCraft CroMagnon Aquitaine taking advantage of 61° evening!!
Prelight: when I first smelled it all I could think of was a horse saddle, rich in worn leather, some sweet hay. Cold draw: effortless pull.
1st third: leather, cedar, hay. Like a tackroom, some white pepper that lingered on the back of the throat. Smoke production was ample throughout, spice increased on a hotter draw.
2nd third: more of the same but with a longer finish the pepper dissipated some but was still there contributing to the longer finish.
Retro: cedar with stinging pepper (not my favorite characteristic)
Impressions: solid medium bodied quality stick, good construction, ash held for an inch or so I only needed to touch it up once when it started canoeing in the second third.

 

attachment.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night's smoke, enjoying 70 degree weather!!!

 

Big complex, medium-full bodied fog machine. Not a light weight by any measure.

attachment.jpg

 

Tonight's smoke: creamy medium bodied leather and butterscotch. The smoke was awesome to just breathe on exhale.

attachment.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Happy St. Patrick's Day ya Filthy Hooligans!!! On a double date with Alec Bradley and Weller Antique 107.

attachment.jpg

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

ASF, how often are you having a cigar?

 

Can't wait for it to get warm out.

 

Those 70-degree days a week ago were wonderful. I smoked an entire Flathead 660 (about a 2 hr smoke) while watching TV on my porch. It was glorious.

 

BTW--I learned that for the CAO Flathead series, punch, don't cut. HUGE difference!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

ASF, how often are you having a cigar?

 

Can't wait for it to get warm out.

Couple times per week, but these bitter cold temps kept me inside. I could crank up the chiminea on those days, but it was just so bitterly cold! 

Normally, though it's once or twice per week.

30 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

 

Those 70-degree days a week ago were wonderful. I smoked an entire Flathead 660 (about a 2 hr smoke) while watching TV on my porch. It was glorious.

 

BTW--I learned that for the CAO Flathead series, punch, don't cut. HUGE difference!

That is a fav of mine too! And I vertical cut mine, but I too have seen the punch cuts, most I'm seeing on the 660 are using multiple punches, 2 side by side, or 3 in a connected triangle. I'll be doing that next time to be sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here were the ones I missed on my "vacation".

 

This Macanudo 1997 Vintage Maduro was simply amazing!! Thankfully there's a twin in my tupperdor.

33346788092_9046d98006_b.jpg

 

This H.Upmann junior corona Cuban is a nice grassy and leather 30 minute stick. Too small for my tastes, but not bad in a time pinch.

33346787812_76f98e8f90_b.jpg

 

This pic describes the Don Thomas Maduro perfectly....not impressed. It was flicked into the fire halfway through, life's too short.

33462048986_1f90904fe2_b.jpg

 

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Couple times per week, but these bitter cold temps kept me inside. I could crank up the chiminea on those days, but it was just so bitterly cold! 

Normally, though it's once or twice per week.

That is a fav of mine too! And I vertical cut mine, but I too have seen the punch cuts, most I'm seeing on the 660 are using multiple punches, 2 side by side, or 3 in a connected triangle. I'll be doing that next time to be sure.

 

I smoked one with a full cut, and it was overpowering. The punch was perfect, although, I'll give the multiple punches a try.

 

I just ordered La Flor de Antilles, CAO Flathead 550s, and Punch Gran Puro Santa Rita. I'm excited to try the Punch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are my last couple B&M pick ups and mail call.

The Romeo was given to me, and I got the 5er of 5 Vegas Golds to split with a buddy.

33387793591_48a4be5acf_b.jpg

 

I love the Brick House Mighty Mighty's, La Aroma's, Padron, and the 1968 Macanudos are all new to me.

33516431715_fabddf870e_b.jpg

 

I saw this in the store the other day and couldn't help but do a side-by-side comparison. That 770 is a beast!!!!

32701676713_32313d37ee_b.jpg

 

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

 

I just ordered La Flor de Antilles, CAO Flathead 550s, and Punch Gran Puro Santa Rita. I'm excited to try the Punch.

Please post your thoughts on them, I haven't had any La Flor's, and Punch has been kinda hit or miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Here are my last couple B&M pick ups and mail call.

The Romeo was given to me, and I got the 5er of 5 Vegas Golds to split with a buddy.

33387793591_48a4be5acf_b.jpg

 

I love the Brick House Mighty Mighty's, La Aroma's, Padron, and the 1968 Macanudos are all new to me.

33516431715_fabddf870e_b.jpg

 

I saw this in the store the other day and couldn't help but do a side-by-side comparison. That 770 is a beast!!!!

 

Please post your thoughts on them, I haven't had any La Flor's, and Punch has been kinda hit or miss.

 

La Flors are My Father cigars. If you liked the Le Bijou, you'll like the La Flors. They're similar and much cheaper. I got a 5 pack from famous smoke for under $35. They're one of my go tos for a cheaper, "every day" smoke.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

 

La Flors are My Father cigars. If you liked the Le Bijou, you'll like the La Flors. They're similar and much cheaper. I got a 5 pack from famous smoke for under $35. They're one of my go tos for a cheaper, "every day" smoke.

Always got my eye out for a good budget stick. I'll defintely add the La Flor to my hit list.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Always got my eye out for a good budget stick. I'll defintelybadd the La Flor to my hit list.

Be sure to let me know what you think!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was in Louisville this weekend for my birthday, and slipped across the river to enjoy a nice cigar bar. Been looking for the Leaf for awhile, I LOVE the presentation with the tabacco leaf.

 

attachment.jpg

 

33290338090_157c7b7a83_b.jpg

 

Cigar of the day Leaf by Oscar corojo 6x60: (brick and mortar in New Albany Indiana)
Prelight: draw is amazing, caramel and vanilla, mild leather.
First third: exactly what I expected from the prelight, caramel & vanilla, mild leather. Very creamy light body smooth, no pepper or spice, amazing retro right from the start.
Ash cone is firm, white, and flakey.
Second third: flavors firmed up a bit to be a bit more savory, a very light white pepper comes through on the finish and in retro. Foot smoke is plentiful.
Burn: razor sharp through 1/3 then tried to canoe in the 2/3, after a touch-up it remained wavy but consistent.
Final third: leather replaces the caramel, vanilla moves to the back and pepper steps up a little more. Feels like it's going to finish as a medium flavor intensity.
Impressions: a fine stick indeed, but for about half the price a Brick House Mighty Mighty will do just as well.

 

Somehow these snuck into my truck when I left the cigar bar. 2 of the three were on my kill list.

33633760306_2331f15372_b.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Big day today! Had a very big closing so I decided to take a couple victory laps. Too bad it's cold wet and raining here!!! 😢

 

33378691190_e32a263abf_b.jpg

 

Here is my fav stick store!! Every time I go in it's like digging through a toybox as a kid!!

 

32930517004_86bfdc83fd_b.jpg

 

32920114414_1e6d16e37c_b.jpg

 

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to date them to so you know how much age you have put on them. At least the really good ones. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

You need to date them to so you know how much age you have put on them. At least the really good ones. 

Pretty sure they won't last that long, but then I wouldn't have thought a year ago that I'd have this many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of long term storage, have a Cohiba Siglo VI that's been sitting in my humidor for almost 5 years. Got it St. Maarten on our Honeymoon. I'm saving it for our anniversary this fall. Very excited to smoke that.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Speaking of long term storage, have a Cohiba Siglo VI that's been sitting in my humidor for almost 5 years. Got it St. Maarten on our Honeymoon. I'm saving it for our anniversary this fall. Very excited to smoke that.

Five years!!! Nice!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.