Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS ANNOUNCE OPENING TIMES FOR PARKING LOTS AND STADIUM GATES AT HOME OPENER SUNDAY

TK

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

September 10, 2014

REDSKINS ANNOUNCE OPENING TIMES FOR PARKING LOTS AND STADIUM GATES AT HOME OPENER SUNDAY

LANDOVER, Md. – The Washington Redskins return to FedExField on Sunday, Sept. 14 to face the Jacksonville Jaguars in the home opener of the 2014 NFL season. In anticipation of heavy traffic on opening day, FedExField parking lots will open at 9 a.m. Fans are encouraged to arrive early.

The Bud Light Party Pavilion hospitality area will be open to all fans at 10 a.m., with all stadium gates to follow at 11 a.m. Fans are encouraged to enter the stadium by noon in order to enjoy all pregame festivities, including performances by the First Ladies of Football and Redskins Marching Band.

For suggested alternative routes to FedExField, including directions, visit www.redskins.com/parking. Additionally, fans can sign up for Traffic Text Alerts at www.redskins.com/trafficalerts.

>> This is what happens when you have more seats and FEWER general entrances than when the stadium was built.   I remember seeing something at one time that people who had the Redskins MasterCard could go in through the PREMIUM GATES and avoid the wait,  I am looking at the benefits of the card and I don't see that anymore.   

I think we may be near the original capacity when it was first built.  The additions that came after the change of ownership pushed it up to the 93k range; removing the upper level seats in/around the end zones has brought us back down to maybe 83k.  (Numbers are pure guesstimates.  LOL)

Getting back on point of the original post ... I think four hours before kickoff is SOP for the parking lots, something that the Ops VP at that time (a few years ago) claimed was needed given the logistics of the stadium.  I don't know if the organization has given into the pressure that he mentioned the league was pushing for 3-1/2 (or even three) hours.

For the upcoming night games (Thursday, then Monday), I can see the lots opening earlier than kickoff minus four because rush hour is definitely a factor 1625 and 1640.

I'm looking forward to the home opener.

After they cut out those chunks of seats upstairs, I guessed the seats dropped down to around 82,000 or so, but then the team used the number 85,000.  I think it's somewhere between those two numbers. 

I don't really trust wiki.  Anybody can edit those pages and put in whatever they want. 

For a relatively hard number, all you gotta do is count the seats that were cut out and subtract it from 91,000.  Anybody want that job?  :)

Archived