Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RFK Stadium Destroyed in New Xmen Movie

SeanTheHitmanTaylor

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/03/24/rfk-stadium-in-new-x-men-movie/

The new trailer for Xmen: Days Of Future Past has a scene with Magneto destroying a stadium. It is not confirmed but it looks just like RFK stadium. It makes sense because it takes place in the 1970s, and there are other scenes of him causing havoc in DC. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me!

One thing I love about RFK is that despite it being from the cookie-cutter multipurpose era of stadium construction, it always stands out because of:

a) the seating colors

B) the "wave" created by the upper deck having a non-circular pattern (and therefore causing different parts of the deck to have a different number of rows, which causes it to rise to different levels)

c) the unique light standard (they couldn't build standard towers because the lights would have a direct sightline to the Capitol)

I really hope that when the Redskins move back to DC they'll copy at least (B) so we can all get that view as the metro pulls up to the stadium

I was there when they took the Cap Center down. It was awesome:

My family lived really close to the Cap Center until I was 4.5 years old.  I don't remember a ton about the area but my sister and parents have some awesome memories-- meeting Manute Bol at the local Giant, and many many summer days at Wild World, which was also nearby (is that even a thing now?)

I went to the shopping center built at the Cap Center site a while back and it was really creepy.  It was a fake downtown outdoor mall feel (that's the trend now) will all kinds of display boards about Capital Center history.  Apparently Magic Johnson is a pretty major investor.  The whole place was empty though, so it was weird.

My family lived really close to the Cap Center until I was 4.5 years old.  I don't remember a ton about the area but my sister and parents have some awesome memories-- meeting Manute Bol at the local Giant, and many many summer days at Wild World, which was also nearby (is that even a thing now?)

I went to the shopping center built at the Cap Center site a while back and it was really creepy.  It was a fake downtown outdoor mall feel (that's the trend now) will all kinds of display boards about Capital Center history.  Apparently Magic Johnson is a pretty major investor.  The whole place was empty though, so it was weird.

Wild World is now Six Flags, which is owned largely by Dan Snyder.

Here's a great article by ES enemy Dave McKenna about the Cap Center that will really resonate for any sports fan of a certain age who grew up in this area. Definitely worth a read.   (McKenna, BTW, is a really good writer on local DC sports subjects other than Dan Snyder and the Redskins.)

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/24938/there-used-to-be-an-arena-here

• 4 weeks later...

Well, in that scene it's younger Magneto. Probably in the 70's. So, that would make sense with RFK.

Either way, the day that place comes down, we should have a party in that lot. Hopefully its to mark where the next new Skins complex is going up. Retractable roof, etc. 

Manute Bol was the local giant.

Archived