Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ronda Rousey's Strategy to Beat Floyd Mayweather Jr.

d0ublestr0ker0ll

And how boxing fans forget that Ray Mercer got choked out by Kimbo Slice who has infinitely less grappling credentials than Mercer has striking credentials.   Also, MLSkins got it right earlier in the thread, Ronda was asked this on a radio show as a joke but MMA and boxing sites decided to make it into a "juicy" story.

Lol...You think boxing fans really care that a 40+ year old Mercer got choked out in an MMA fight?

I am not saying Rousey would have zero chance, but I am going through the scenarios in my head based on how each person fights.

Rousey's style is usually to use her striking to get her opponent off guard, get in close, have them a bit flustered so they stop worrying about the Judo, and that is when she grabs them.

She wouldn't be able to employ that strategy against Floyd, as he'd probably hit her 20 times before she even got within arm's length of him.   Her camp is smart enough to know this so they'd probably just go for the takedown from the get-go.  

What tips the scales towards Floyd for me is the mere fact that we are still talking about a male hitting a female.  Ronda would have to get Floyd down and defenseless before he landed any kind of shot on her.  Taking a punch from Meisha Tate, or Sara McMann is in no way shape or form the same as taking a shot from a world class boxer, and remember this would be a boxer without the gloves on, so you can't just go by how they perform in the boxing ring as far as punching power goes.

The chances of Floyd landing ZERO punches as Rousey tries to make her way inside, close enough to get him down is not very high. Thus I think Floyd would win via KO or TKO.

Now, if we are talking about a guy with Rousey's same skillset, maybe Karo?  Different story.

Like I said, when Sylvia was champion he was fighting cans. All the good fighters were in Japan. He would've never even sniffed the PrideFC belt.

I'm still confused.. Which time was he supposedly fighting cans.. The first time he won the MMA heavy weight championship in 2003 when as a 15-0 challenger he defeated 14-1 Ricco Rodriguez; or in 2006 when he won the heavy weight championship for the second time and successfully defended it?

Randy Couture, a 6 foot tall light heavyweight, beat the living crap out of Sylvia to take his belt. This came right after Couture got knocked out cold in his LIGHT Heavyweight title bout. Should give you some perspective on the no-mans land Sylvia held the title in.

I would add that by "beating the living Crap out of him" you mean out boxing him and winning a unanimous decision without ever knocking him down or out in the fight.

Actually, you make a good point about the age discrepency. I should've said he was completely out of shape and was looking for a paycheck. Tim was beyond done at that point. He didn't train, drank beer and ate pastries every day, and said over and over before the fight that he wanted to box with Ray. Sylvia was a punch line before that fight, making a case for his greatness is painful to read.

I'm not making a case for his greatness so much as I'm destroying your assertion that he was a bum who was washed up when he fought Mercer. He was a very successful MMA fighter who was in his prime when he fought old man Mercer. He hadn't thrown in the towel, he went 7-1 over the following 3 years after fighting Mercer. He's still fighting today... he fought last October 2013 and the Mercer fight was 5 years ago....

I'm not saying he was legendary, but he was above average. I think that is the least you can interpret from him being word Champion twice don't you? He didn't duck anybody, he fought regularly throughout his championships as is required of MMA fighters who are under exclusive contract to MMA.

What's the lesson... The lesson is MMA fighters are not comparable boxers to actual boxers. Sylvia was a fool to go toe to toe with Mercer even though Mercer was 14 years older and a decade removed from his prime.

If MMA fighters were competent boxers, they would be boxing... because there is a lot more money in Boxing.

The second lesson to be learned from Sylvia's folly... is Ronda Rousey would be murdered against Floyd Mayweather... She would be Murdered by any contender.. She can't box, and she would have to box.. because her only prayer would be to take Floyd down the the mat and pray her technique was a match for his superior strength and speed... and to do that she would have to put herself in harms way... and that's when he would KO her.. He would only need one chance... and he would have many chances.

Lol...You think boxing fans really care that a 40+ year old Mercer got choked out in an MMA fight?

46 Year old Mercer in his first MMA fight vs 33 year old Kimbo Slice. Slice who for the last 3 years has been a professional boxer not fighting MMA any longer.

Now, if we are talking about a guy with Rousey's same skillset, maybe Karo? Different story.

First off I think you have a good take on it...

Second off... yeah maybe a different story... But even then I wouldn't count Mayweather out. Even fighting a very good MMA male, under MMA rules, Mayweather still has such an advantage in the boxing that he would have a shot. I think you are right though, Rousey he would be expected to destroy her... a male MMA fighter under MMA rules would probable be able to weather the boxing and get inside easier than Rousey would.

I would add that by "beating the living Crap out of him" you mean out boxing him and winning a unanimous decision without ever knocking him down or out in the fight.

I haven't  been following your entire debate but this is incorrect. Randy Couture dropped him to the mat with an overhand right in the first 10 seconds of that fight and it was nearly stopped. He didn't finish him but he beat him down for 5 straight rounds by out-striking him and taking him down and punching him from inside his guard repeatedly. 

46 Year old Mercer in his first MMA fight vs 33 year old Kimbo Slice. Slice who for the last 3 years has been a professional boxer not fighting MMA any longer.

That's what makes him getting choked out even more embarrassing. 

btw, no MMA fan cares that a washed up Tim Sylvia got KO'd by a former HW boxing champ and Olympic gold medalist in a 2nd rate MMA promotion. 

And just in general, like I mentioned earlier, this entire thing was jokingly said on a radio show and was picked up by junky internet sports outlets to catch eyeballs. The MMA vs boxing debate is a tired one. Boxing is a fine sport. Boxing is also just a small part of MMA. No pro boxer is going to step into MMA and be successful at a high level and no MMA fighter is going to step into boxing and be successful at a high level. 

It was proven over and over again in the early UFCs that when it comes to style vs style, grappling will almost always be superior to striking. That's why  in MMA, even the highest level strikers have to train in wrestling/judo/BJJ or they will have no chance at excelling in the sport. For years BJJ dominated MMA, nowadays high-level wrestling dominates MMA, that's just how it is. It's a lot easier for a high-level grappler to enter into MMA and be successful by learning some basic striking than it is for a high-level striker to enter and learn basic grappling. And MMA simulates a real life fight scenario more than any other combat sport in the world. More than pure boxing, pure kickboxing, pure wrestling, pure BJJ, pure Karate, etc. etc. 

It was proven over and over again in the early UFCs that when it comes to style vs style, grappling will almost always be superior to striking. That's why  in MMA, even the highest level strikers have to train in wrestling/judo/BJJ or they will have no chance at excelling in the sport. For years BJJ dominated MMA, nowadays high-level wrestling dominates MMA, that's just how it is. It's a lot easier for a high-level grappler to enter into MMA and be successful by learning some basic striking than it is for a high-level striker to enter and learn basic grappling. And MMA simulates a real life fight scenario more than any other combat sport in the world. More than pure boxing, pure kickboxing, pure wrestling, pure BJJ, pure Karate, etc. etc. 

In general terms it is true that it is easier for Wrestlers and Grapplers to "jump in" to MMA, but don't ignore the tactical strikers who have great takedown defense (*cough* Lyoto Machida).

Also, MMA is not "no holds barred" and no rules. Add the ability for a standing opponent to kick/knee a guy in the head, and you'll see that BJJ and Wrestlers would have a much harder time. Look at older Pride Videos, and you'll see thats why guys like Crocop were sucessful. Anyone that shot on him got punished, bad...

It is all about using the rules, and right now the MMA ruleset favors ground game. That doesn't mean that the Ground Game is better on the street, it all is a mix of classes and you can never say one is better than another. There are too many variables.

I haven't  been following your entire debate but this is incorrect. Randy Couture dropped him to the mat with an overhand right in the first 10 seconds of that fight and it was nearly stopped. He didn't finish him but he beat him down for 5 straight rounds by out-striking him and taking him down and punching him from inside his guard repeatedly.

You are correct... I misspoke when I said didn't knock him down. I meant to say didn't knock him out or put him on his back like Mercer did.. Couture did hit him in the first 10 seconds in that fight... and Sylvia slipped to the mat, falling on his ass... got up right away, where Couture jumped all over him and took him back down....

The fight ended in a decision, not a knock out, all judges scoring it 45-50 in favor of Couture. Here is the video of the fight.

http://www.ufc.tv/video/randy-couture-vs-tim-sylvia-ufc-68

btw, no MMA fan cares that a washed up Tim Sylvia got KO'd by a former HW boxing champ and Olympic

HE WASN'T WASHED UP... Sylva was world champion the year earlier and he won 7 out of his next 8 fights after facing Mercer. He's still fighting today 5 years later.

JMS,

Those guys suffer from "selective amnesia." An over the hill ex-boxer came in and beat a former UFC champ in under 10 seconds and they can't accept it. But James Toney, who had never fought in MMA, losing to an MMA legend in Couture is a big deal.

JMS,

Those guys suffer from "selective amnesia." An over the hill ex-boxer came in and beat a former UFC champ in under 10 seconds and they can't accept it. But James Toney, who had never fought in MMA, losing to an MMA legend in Couture is a big deal.

Yeah I know.. At least there seems to be consensus now that Rousey vs Mayweather wouldn't be competitive or even interesting from a sports perspective. Perhaps from an oddity perspective for misogynists or men who like to be dominated by women. You know men who like to dress up in giant baby clothes. That kind of thing. It would take such a proclivity to be entertained by such a spectacle.

I infer that by how the conversation has shifted from the Mayweather vs Rousey to the male Boxing vs male MMA (Sylva vs Mercer) discussion.

You are correct... I misspoke when I said didn't knock him down. I meant to say didn't knock him out or put him on his back like Mercer did.. Couture did hit him in the first 10 seconds in that fight... and Sylvia slipped to the mat, falling on his ass... got up right away, where Couture jumped all over him and took him back down....

The fight ended in a decision, not a knock out, all judges scoring it 45-50 in favor of Couture. Here is the video of the fight.

HE WASN'T WASHED UP... Sylva was world champion the year earlier and he won 7 out of his next 8 fights after facing Mercer. He's still fighting today 5 years later.

Sounds like you don't understand talent level dropoffs in MMA. You think the the 7 of 8 fights he won after Mercer were of any difficulty? If you're aware of the fighters or promotions you'd realize this. Sometimes people don't have amnesia, but just clearly don't know what the hell they're talking about. Other than Arlovski (no contest) none of the fighters he fought fight top level opponents within that time either. Your argument on this is quite weak, and it seems pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the talent level of MMA fighters.

Why Pick 7 of next 8 after? Because the next 4 after that were 3 losses and 1 no contest. That wouldn't help your case. Selective stats are always fun too, right?

It is true that Silvia was a UFC Heavyweight Champ, and that can't be taken away but it was at a very weak point in the UFCs heavyweight system. He also was a very unique fighter with his odd size and reach that upset some MMA fighters that he was facing. But i forgot, you're an expert. 

JMS,

Not quite. Neither of those fights really meant anything. You're not going to see two present-day world class fighters (boxer and mma fighter) fight because fighting one another does nothing to move up their prospective ladders.

I prefer MMA to boxing. It is no less a sport, and anyone who says so has some sort of stone to grind. That said I doubt Rousey would beat Mayweather in a fight. In the chance she gets to him and takes him down in time then its possible (if they're the same weight for this fight). The fights start standing up, so just for that and being a man Mayweather has a large advantage. I wouldn't say she has no chance, because thats ignorant and if she got Mayweather to the ground I'd put my money on her to win without him getting up again. 

I'm still confused.. Which time was he supposedly fighting cans.. The first time he won the MMA heavy weight championship in 2003 when as a 15-0 challenger he defeated 14-1 Ricco Rodriguez; or in 2006 when he won the heavy weight championship for the second time and successfully defended it?

Ugh, I'll explain it AGAIN, even though I'm starting to think you're a career troll on this website. It wasn't the "MMA" world championship, it was the UFC championship. Yes, there was a HUGE difference. Back in his day, the UFC was not even close to as popular as it is now. All the great heavyweights were in Japan, fighting in PrideFC. Ask anybody who knows anything about that era of MMA and they'll tell you the same thing. Pride's heavyweight division was one of the most loaded divisions in HISTORY, and at the very same time, the UFC's Heavyweight division was perhaps the worst of all time. It's the equivalent of someone being the champ of a promotion outside of the UFC these days, and you drooling all over his win/loss record. He's not fighting the best! Not even close.

Randy Couture is 19-11, records don't mean much. If you matched Tim up with Mark Hunt back in Tim's prime, he would've been KOd. Mark Hunt was something like 5-8, but he fought top competition in PrideFC.

Randy knocked Tim on his ass with an overhand right 5 seconds in to the fight. He was too weak to knock him out, being a really small guy in comparison, but he ruined Tim in that fight. Still one of the most dominant performances I've seen. Tim didn't do squat for 25 minutes, and Randy looked like he was about to laugh at times.

What's the lesson... The lesson is MMA fighters are not comparable boxers to actual boxers. Sylvia was a fool to go toe to toe with Mercer even though Mercer was 14 years older and a decade removed from his prime.

If MMA fighters were competent boxers, they would be boxing... because there is a lot more money in Boxing.

No there isn't more money in boxing. Mayweather has more money than every other boxer combined, if you don't count Pacman. Like I responded to this same argument earlier, if you aren't named Floyd Mayweather, or aren't fighting him, well maybe you should go use your boxing to become a UFC Champion. Since it sounds like a sinch.

MMA fighters fight in MMA because they grew up learning a mix of martial arts. They aren't dropping wrestling scholarships or BJJ black belts to go focus on boxing because that's not their forte'. Their natural gifts lie elsewhere, such as slamming people on their heads or twisting bones in to pretzels. It's not about money, it's about passion.

Even Ronda had no aspirations to be a fighter. She simply loved Judo, she never thought she'd make a dime in sports.

The second lesson to be learned from Sylvia's folly... is Ronda Rousey would be murdered against Floyd Mayweather... She would be Murdered by any contender.. She can't box, and she would have to box.. because her only prayer would be to take Floyd down the the mat and pray her technique was a match for his superior strength and speed... and to do that she would have to put herself in harms way... and that's when he would KO her.. He would only need one chance... and he would have many chances.

She would have to box because her only hope is to get Floyd down? What??? She'd throw exactly zero punches against him. It would be all about what happens on her way in. Yes, boom goes the dynamite, anyone can see him catching her.

Once on the ground though, what does speed have to do with anything? He can't bob and weave out of a jiu jitsu match. The strength disparity would be equalized by her technical prowess. If Floyd walked up in to her gym today, put on a gi and rolled with her, she'd submit him 20 times in 10 minutes.

Go run the forty yard dash... 

You lost me right here.   The MMA ring is enclosed and is what, 12 yards across?   6 body lengths.  

You wrote that whole screed like she would stnad there and get punched in the face for a while, then drop to her knees and get punched for a while longer, then lay down flat on the ground and get punched.   What tripe.  

In general terms it is true that it is easier for Wrestlers and Grapplers to "jump in" to MMA, but don't ignore the tactical strikers who have great takedown defense (*cough* Lyoto Machida).

Also, MMA is not "no holds barred" and no rules. Add the ability for a standing opponent to kick/knee a guy in the head, and you'll see that BJJ and Wrestlers would have a much harder time. Look at older Pride Videos, and you'll see thats why guys like Crocop were sucessful. Anyone that shot on him got punished, bad...

It is all about using the rules, and right now the MMA ruleset favors ground game. That doesn't mean that the Ground Game is better on the street, it all is a mix of classes and you can never say one is better than another. There are too many variables.

I agree that Machida is a next level striker but he's also a BJJ black belt and has a sumo wrestling background. If he had no grappling experience whatsoever he wouldn't be having the success that he has now. 

And I didn't say MMA was "NHB "or  "no rules." I said it simulates a real life fight scenario better than any pure combat sport.

The closest MMA has been to no rules in America were the early UFCs where guys fought mostly bare knuckle, with no weight classes, no time limits, stomps to the head and kicking a downed opponent to the head was allowed. And back then BJJ was what ruled the fight world. 

Pride is still my favorite era of MMA to date and I absolutely LOVE Pride rules for MMA. But grappling was just as big a part of Pride as it is the UFC, just in a different way. Look at Fedor, the king of Pride and look at how many submission wins he had. Look at big Nog, Sakuraba, Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman, Dan Henderson etc. grappling was alive and well in Pride. Even successful guys that were primarily strikers like Wanderlei Silva and Shogun were BJJ black belts. 

I remember the fight well. Couture dominated all 5 rounds, hence the 50-45 UD.

And yes, Sylvia WAS washed up when he fought Ray Mercer. Not that it matters, he was an idiot for trying to box with Mercer. It seems like some of you feel like we're making excuses for his loss to Mercer but we're not, he was legitimately washed up and had a legitimately dumb gameplan to deal with a former HW boxing champ/Olympic gold medalist. It would be like if Floyd Mayweather did an MMA fight and decided he was going to try and shoot a double-leg takedown on Urijiah Faber. 

Going back to Sylvia being washed up though, the only fighter out of those next 8 bouts that had any legitimacy at all was Paul Buentello who was well past his prime as well. 

Also he hadn't been the champion in over two years in the UFC, when he lost to Couture. The HW scene in the UFC was literally the weakest it had ever been during Sylvia's title days. The UFC was cashing in on their 205ers. This was the era of Chuck Liddell, Tito, Randy Couture, Rampage, etc. The greatest HWs in MMA were all in Japan fighting some of the best fights of all time in Pride, and I'm pretty sure Fedor took Tim Sylvia's soul in that Affliction fight lol. 

Sylvia was not in his prime when he fought Mercer. In fact I'd say after Fedor KO'd him on that affliction show he realized his career was toast and was merely looking for pay days on any indie MMA company that could afford to pay for his "name value"

With that said, even an old out of shape over the hill Sylvia made a conscious decision to stand there like a dummy against Ray Mercer.  What the hell do you think was going to happen if you stand like a statue in front of a professional boxer?  Ray Mercer without boxing gloves on?  Forget about it.

There are maybe 3-4 MMA fighters in the entire fight game would could POSSIBLY stand a chance in a boxing ring.  But the same thing goes the other way. There are probably a few boxers who with the right training could win some fights, but those who don't understand the sport, assume you could have a few months of training to stop world class grappling.  It's a joke.

Which raises the questions:

Where is the poetry? Where is the artistry? It's just predicated on the vulnerability of the human body in terms of extension/flexing. It's not even as intelligent a sport as Greco-Roman wrestling.

MMA is probably the closest to an actual fight not involvig weapons you will get.  Theres less rules about what you can't do than any other fight sport.

That said, I still find it hard to watch :-)

MMA isn't for everyone, precisely for the same reason boxing isn't for everyone.  

Lets be real, both sports tend to sell themselves on the KO highlights, but what people don't realize until they really dive into the sport(s) is that KO/TKOs are merely 1 aspect of the fight.

I have no problem with people who don't like MMA or boxing because they don't appreciate the science and nuances of each one, as long as they just ADMIT THAT to being the reason.

What I truly can't stand is all the "why are they dry humping, this is boring" or when it comes to boxing "why is he running" kind of nonsense.

MMA is probably the closest to an actual fight not involvig weapons you will get.  Theres less rules about what you can't do than any other fight sport.

That said, I still find it hard to watch :-)

I think it's very watchable... But, I don't think it's remotely close to an actual fight...

In MMA there is an advantage to having a superior ground game, and the most reliable way to win, take advantage of that aspect of skill set, is to take your opponent to the mat and submit him / her. That would never ever happen in a real fight. It happens in the ring because you know two guys aren't going to jump on your back when your entirely tangled with your opponent. Real fights almost never go the floor like that, because in a real fight you never know who is going to jump in, and if you are on the ground wrestling your opponent, regardless of skills, you'll get killed by some dude jumping in on you. Could you imagine some dude trying to use Brazilian Jujitsu in a bar fight? Some clown getting somebody in a graci guard and trying to wear him down over a 30-40 minute brawl, while everybody in the bar looks on? Not going to happen.

In most fights people try to keep their feet. It's just too dangerous not too. Most real fights, the guy on the floor is loosing the other guy is standing over him kicking the snott out of him. If you were in a bar fight and some guy went to the ground trying to lour you into his guard.. You'd pick up a chair and knock the hell out of him... Or you'd go air born and come down on him with both feet. Either way he would be toast.

However, while I don't find MMA all that realistic; I find it highly entertaining in a sport. It adds a whole nother strategy aspect to the fight. It allows fighters to mask weaknesses, introduces important transitions, and how the transition occurs is also fun and exciting to watch. It's more complex than Boxing in that way, which to me makes it more entertaining and more interesting.

The other thing it does is make MMA entirely different than Boxing. It gives the MMA an athletic capability not present in Boxing, which I also find very important since the MMA purses are so divergent from Boxing purses. The wider skillset necessary to compete in MMA separates the sport from Boxing, which keeps the two sports somewhat isolated from one another.

I think it's very watchable... But, I don't think it's remotely close to an actual fight...

In MMA there is an advantage to having a superior ground game, and the most reliable way to win, take advantage of that aspect of skill set, is to take your opponent to the mat and submit him / her. That would never ever happen in a real fight. It happens in the ring because you know two guys aren't going to jump on your back when your entirely tangled with your opponent. Real fights almost never go the floor like that, because in a real fight you never know who is going to jump in, and if you are on the ground wrestling your opponent, regardless of skills, you'll get killed by some dude jumping in on you. Could you imagine some dude trying to use Brazilian Jujitsu in a bar fight? Some clown getting somebody in a graci guard and trying to wear him down over a 30-40 minute brawl, while everybody in the bar looks on? Not going to happen.

In most fights people try to keep their feet. It's just too dangerous not too. Most real fights, the guy on the floor is loosing the other guy is standing over him kicking the snott out of him. If you were in a bar fight and some guy went to the ground trying to lour you into his guard.. You'd pick up a chair and knock the hell out of him... Or you'd go air born and come down on him with both feet. Either way he would be toast.

No marital art/combat sport/self defense system is designed to handle multiple attackers. Your best bet is a gun or learn to run fast and far. But in an unarmed, one-on-one situation BJJ is one of the most effective systems in the world and this has been proven over and over again. 

No marital art/combat sport/self defense system is designed to handle multiple attackers. Your best bet is a gun or learn to run fast and far. But in an unarmed, one-on-one situation BJJ is one of the most effective systems in the world and this has been proven over and over again.

You bring up an interesting poin, minus the gun. I don't believe in bringing a gun to a fist fight. But I've heard long ago that karate/martial arts isn't all that effective in a real fight. I've heard a good wrestler would beat them all.

Hey look, propagandic video that pretends BJJ always wins when in reality it is not true.

I'd say its a fundamental need, but pretending it is the one true way to be a great fighter is a load of crap. 

Even at the end, his quote is a complete lie: "The fight will always end up on the ground". No it wont, Gracie said earlier that "80%" go into a grapple or fall to the ground. So it changes to 100%.

It also assumes that someone isn't well versed in multiple forms. Someone who works with TKD, Judo, Krav Maga, etc... will have plenty of ability to grapple standing up with someone who works with Jiu Jitsu.

Again, one of the most important martial art forms there is, but its own back-patting is arrogance at its finest. 

There are thousands of videos of BJJ practitioners getting their asses kicked too. I hate glorifying a specific style over others all the time.

Hey look, size doesn't matter, (even if the bigger guy is the "Jiu Jitsu Ace")

Gracies are great at what they do, but their videos are specifically built to sell their product. Of course they'll be a bit arrogant, but once you start lying or using statistics in the wrong way, it gets a bit shameless. Put someone with BJJ experience in a "grapple" with a Muay Thai fighter, and its not always going to be the guy in Gi that walks out. Sometimes those knees are going to knock the guy wanting to get it to the ground out cold. 

That video was made in the early 90s, the UFC didn't exist yet. The success they had in gyms against all comers lead them to create the UFC, to test BJJ even more. They laid it all on the line.

Yes, as MMA developed, so did the well-roundedness of fighters. The best fighters are good at everything. The point was, back then, to show the effectiveness of jiu jitsu. So there's an exaggeration or two, so what? They kept winning, and wanted to get the word out.

That video was made in the early 90s, the UFC didn't exist yet. The success they had in gyms against all comers lead them to create the UFC, to test BJJ even more. They laid it all on the line.

Yes, as MMA developed, so did the well-roundedness of fighters. The best fighters are good at everything. The point was, back then, to show the effectiveness of jiu jitsu. So there's an exaggeration or two, so what? They kept winning, and wanted to get the word out.

Yeah, I agree. I do see plenty of folks who pretend all you need is a bit of BJJ experience and you'll go out and beat the piss out of anyone in a "street fight". I wasn't sure what you were getting at exactly with the video.

Even then though, they got beat from time to time, even when others didn't know how to defend them. That also helped their cause in the sense that Japanese Jiu Jitsu didn't take off, and the Brazilians had plenty of time to work on it without folks being aware of it. That can't be said of most other major striking systems because everyone had a general idea of the tactics used by most of them. 

You gotta have a good mix nowadays to be great as a MMA fighter, but even as a person interested in Self Defense, you need to be well rounded. I'd say it should definitely include Jiu Jitsu, just not the only focus. 

Archived