Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Computer Programers/Game or Software Designers/Producers Out There?

Dont Taze Me Bro

Well, I have always wanted to go back to school for Computer Science or now Video Game Simulation and Design (which seems to be offered as an associates degree now at a lot of colleges). I have a question for any that have looked into this or are in the industry.

First, my background - I'm 38 yo and have a BSME. I never got a job in engineering, which is fine, but it is somewhat related to Computer Science (at least a little bit), very math intensive and I did have to take one programing class back in 93' lol, which was Fortran (I know ancient and dead). Based on my degree, I am very analytical and understand how things work. Not bragging on myself at all or trying to sound like an egotistical maniac, but I am fairly bright and know I will understand programing languages, etc. if I want to learn them.

Now my questions.

1] What would be the best way to get into video game design or software design (in the healthcare industry)? Meaning, with my previous BS in engineering would I be able to take classes to get an associates degree in video game design and simulation and get the various certificates. Or should I go for another BS and get it in Computer Science.

2] How plentiful are the jobs in the current market and what salaries are expected starting out?

3] Is the industry growing or is it going through another phase where jobs are hard to come by, etc.?

4] If anyone of you has taken the associate degree route, did they teach you programing languages needed (C#, C++, Unreal 3 engine etc.) or did you have to take them in addition to the classes required for the degree?

5] I read that there is good money in the audio development side of the gaming industry. So what/where in the heck would one go/take to land a job in audio development? Audio Engineer?

6] How hard is it to get a job developing audio for any industry (gaming, software, healthcare, etc.)?

Any help, tips, pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have been a programmer since 2000 as an active duty ARMY, Pentagon and now for a school district in Salisbury, MD.

1 - Unless your job need a degree don't wait your time. I have been 2 classes away from my BS for a couple years and I've never needed it. Plus some of the classes they taught were useless ( assembly language & computer engineering ) Always get certifications, the more the better.

2 - Depends on where you are, DC and Baltimore of course will be more and easier to find a job.

3 - The last couple of years I've seen more companies hire freelance guys vs haven't their own programmer. Plus the field has been moving more to web programming ( PHP, Ruby & Python ).

4 - When I was in college they were teaching c++ but I think they start with Java now.

Final note - I develop both web, mobile and desktop apps. For small - medium size companies they like to have someone that knows how to admin Linux servers, databases and light graphics work. So the more you know the better.

I'm certified in PHP, .NET ( I don't use anymore ) and working on my qt/c++ cert.

My brother is a Video Game programmer, he went to Digipen Institute of Technology (https://www.digipen.edu/), knew about 4 or 5 languages before he went (VB/C/C++/Java/Perl) and has worked for Bungie for the past 6 or 7 years.

The best place for you to look at would be RTP, because of the health care and (I forget what company but) the people who make Gears of War are in Cary as well.

A degree wont hurt. Not necessary depending on the type of company.

Look at openings in your area and see what they are looking for.

To me you either have the aptitude to be a code pig or you don't. Kids doing this stuff learn it on the fly. Once you understand programming you should be able to pick up any language. There are enough free resources online to have you programming in most languages within a week. You might not be proficient but you can see if you have the aptitude.

Anyone can learn to program, but everyone can't be a programmer. Make sure you enjoy doing it before you pursue it as a career. I have been in computer science related career for over 25 years, I went into it because I wanted to be a programmer. Found out I didn't enjoy programming, so I went a different route.

Some companies really value degrees, but not all. I think it's invaluable to get a strong foundation, rather than certifications, but if you're a 'programmer for hire' versus a career software engineer or architect/technologist, you may have different priorities.

As Chipwich said, are you sure that you want to spend 8 hours a day coding and debugging? Many senior developers love their job, but a key part of that fulfillment is their participation in the design and engineering process. The hours spent coding, debugging and testing ... not so much. Early in a career, you likely will be much more of a code monkey than a software engineer.

Python is where many schools will start for an intro course because of the syntax and then move into OOP using Java. In some cases you can test out of the 101 level. C and C++ or other programming languages typically come after a grounding in Java.

Within the gaming industry there are many disciplines beyond programming such as design, audio and animation as you indicated, and some degrees integrate these disciplines (combined Bachelors in CS and Fine Arts).

One of my best friends has a career in the video game industry. He lives in California now. He mostly works in sound editing and sound engineering for video games and tv shows, but mostly video games now. He has worked on some big time games, like in the Final Fantasy, Balder's Gate, and God of War series. He went to Full Sail University in Florida for a year back in the mid 90's for sound. http://www.fullsail.edu/ I think Full Sail also has degrees in the graphics design side of things too. After he got his degree, he moved back to NC for a couple of months, then he moved to Los Angeles, where he worked as an intern for a famous guitar player. He got a job working in tv shows as a sound editor. Then he moved on to video games. He mostly works in the gaming industry now.

Man, I wish I would've done what he did, instead of going to a four year university.

So do you want to do hardcore dev work or video game editing? If you are more focused in coding I would highly recommend you look into a good CS program. Avoid Strayer or any online colleges. If you are based in NC I believe NC state has a great program.

I'd second this. Some people have great careers without attending a four year program from a reputable college. But many firms won't hire you. It's a risk. It may pay off, or it may not.

Programmer here ... my job is a little unconventional because I work for a lab and am the only "pure" code monkey in the entire department (other people can and do code, but mostly just MATLAB or Labview and don't have the that breadth of knowledge that I do).

From what I understand of the video games industry is going to be much tougher to break into ... everyone and their brother wants to code games ... you'll find at some companies the working conditions are pretty ****ty (60+ hour workweeks, sometimes more). And you'll most likely have to move, as they aren't that many studios. Basically, its not the job you want if you are married with kids and a mortgage. But if you really want to code games, go for it.

The healthcare industry would probably be a safer bet. I would also consider finding someway to work in your ME degree.

---------- Post added January-4th-2013 at 12:54 PM ----------

I'd second this. Some people have great careers without attending a four year program from a reputable college. But many firms won't hire you. It's a risk. It may pay off, or it may not.

Since he already has a BSME this is less of an issue ... if you are sufficiently motivated you can learn most of the stuff you need on your own - the info is freely available... formal education does impose a little rigor and opens you up to ideas you may not have considered, but it is not an absolute requirement, unless you want to go into academia.

Since he already has a BSME this is less of an issue ... if you are sufficiently motivated you can learn most of the stuff you need on your own - the info is freely available... formal education does impose a little rigor and opens you up to ideas you may not have considered, but it is not an absolute requirement, unless you want to go into academia.

True ... but it's a bit of a chicken and egg ... how does he acquire relevant experience that a company would hire him.

He could acquire the programming knowledge outside of a degree and then find opportunities in the field where he has already been working. Someone with both tech skills and deep knowledge of the business area is very attractive to application software development firms in that industry.

Have you ever written code before, in any capacity? I'd recommend picking up some tutorial books, setting up a couple of IDEs, and tinkering with some small coding projects, just to see if you enjoy the process. Language doesn't really matter, there are tons of free resources for c#/java/c++/php and a bunch more.

Some people will poopoo college, but personally I found classes like discrete math and database theory to be a good foundation on which to build software development proficiency.

IT in general is a field where, if you don't have a geeky passion for it, you'll burn out and hate it. Good luck :)

A friend from college went to SMU's Guild Hall program and liked it:

http://guildhall.smu.edu/

He now works for FunCom in Norway.

True ... but it's a bit of a chicken and egg ... how does he acquire relevant experience that a company would hire him.

He could acquire the programming knowledge outside of a degree and then find opportunities in the field where he has already been working. Someone with both tech skills and deep knowledge of the business area is very attractive to application software development firms in that industry.

Yes, this is probably his best bet ... try to find companies/industries where you already have the experience/contacts and then work this in to a software development role.

Beyond that, you can produce your own demos/small games/etc.. At least that shows the companies you can execute.

Game studios, especially, have zero incentive to "train" anybody because they can always find someone who has the necessary experience.

BSME is not even close to the same thing as a CS degree. Yes he has engineering portion but more and more companies are really focusing on abstract algorithms in conjunction with open source programming. DCSaints_fan you living in the Valley I am certain you know this.

I'm a software developer for a small web-based EMR (Electronic Medical Record) company. Lots of oppty's for a developer in healthcare. The ARRA HITECH incentives are really driving the industry in a big way. At the forefront, are the interoperability requirements between organizations and vendors.

Archived