Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Afro: RGIII: Unlike Any QB Ever Seen

brandymac27

http://www.afro.com/sections/sports/story.htm?storyid=76561

Couple weeks old, but still a good read.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody in the history of football with the combined skills and talents that RGIII has. He’s the total package!”

Those were the words legendary Howard University Sports Information Director Ed Hill Jr. used to describe the impact of Washington Redskins rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III.

In fact, that’s how several folks have described what they’re witnessing from Griffin so far this NFL season. Whether it is hardcore ‘Skins fans, NFL reporters, national pundits or even the president of the United States: they all suggest that RGIII offers something that has never been witnessed in the league before.

Hill has served as Howard’s SID for 29 years and worked as a sports reporter for years before arriving at Howard, so he’s seen his fair share of talented football players. He’s covered athletes that went on to win Super Bowl titles in the NFL, yet none of them quite compare to what he’s seeing from Griffin, the former Heisman trophy winner.

“There are maybe only a handful of quarterbacks that come close to the skills that RGIII have shown us so far this season,” Hill told the AFRO. “Some of these names are commonly known like Warren Moon, Doug Williams, Steve McNair, Randall Cunningham or most recently Michael Vick. But some of the older quarterbacks like Marlon Briscoe, had the talent but never got a chance to show it because of the racial tension back then.”

Hill said all of those players were great in one category or another, whether it be running the ball or passing but weren’t equally effective doing both. Warren Moon and Doug Williams were great passers but weren’t very mobile; Vick and Cunningham could run and scramble but weren’t as accurate passing the ball.

Hill said Griffin can not only outrun any and every quarterback that has ever played football, but can pass the ball just well and accurately as he runs.

Cont'd at link...

I think it might be too early to compare great players but i can't stop thinking that the last big impact player I have seen that I can compare RGIII to is Barry Sanders. Sure there are many other players who have been very good, great, impactful, etc but the level of impact RGIII has on the game is as great as Barry Sanders had when he played in college and the NFL.

That was a painful read.

Maybe I misread it. Did the article really compare Doug Williams and Griffin? I mean, all the thanks in the world to Doug for winning DC a trophy but he wasn't the greatest quarterback in the world.

I sense a bit of bias.

Yeah I think/hope that you misread the article. I took nothing away from it that would make me feel as though it was a "painful" read???

I think it might be too early to compare great players but i can't stop thinking that the last big impact player I have seen that I can compare RGIII to is Barry Sanders. Sure there are many other players who have been very good, great, impactful, etc but the level of impact RGIII has on the game is as great as Barry Sanders had when he played in college and the NFL.
IMO you have the wrong Sanders if I was to engage in this whole thing. Since it would seem that I am engaging already, I'd say RG3's combined skill set would closer compare to Deion Sanders.

When RG3 does that thing when he trots backwards to give himself more time to find a open reciever, he just looks like he is playing on another level than everyone else.

I liken RG III to past players who re-defined the position they play.

Deion Sanders - revolutionized the CB position, probably THE fastest player at the time, teams would just wouldn't even bother throwing it near him.

Randy Moss - First receiver over 6'4 that had truly game-changing speed, also, like Deion, probably THE fastest player at that time, his mere presence changed defensive schemes forever. AJ Green and Megatron are truly great today, but Randy had everything they did, plus 4.2 speed.

Ed Reed - The Deion of the safety position. His game IQ, awareness, preparation is legendary, not to mention once he gets the ball, he turns into a weapon. Probably will go down as the greatest FS to ever play the game.

Patrick Willis- More recent, but Middle-linebackers aren't supposed to run 4.3's, are they? Not to mention is is one of the most consistent and versatile MLB's in the game today

And now....RGIII - He has the smarts, he has the physical gifts, he has the work ethic and leadership intangibles, and that extra "magic" that all those mentioned before have, that natural play-making-instinct that, to be honest, only few are born with.

We truly are blessed to have the privilege of seeing the next great player, and he happens to wear the B & G.

And again, I would say IMO Barry Sanders. Barry was very quick, 4.39 40 speed, but he did what no other running back had ever done, which is play on a terrible team and still have tremendous returns. He played almost entirely in the backfield, juking anyone who was in his path and usually singlehandedly found ways to create plays.

RGIII is unique in that not only is he very elusive and fast but he is equally deadly with his arm and extremely accurate. He rarely makes mistakes and unlike Luck, does not force his pass downfield.

And again, I would say IMO Barry Sanders. Barry was very quick, 4.39 40 speed, but he did what no other running back had ever done, which is play on a terrible team and still have tremendous returns. He played almost entirely in the backfield, juking anyone who was in his path and usually singlehandedly found ways to create plays.

RGIII is unique in that not only is he very elusive and fast but he is equally deadly with his arm and extremely accurate. He rarely makes mistakes and unlike Luck, does not force his pass downfield.

completely untrue

Walter Payton and Orenthal James Simpson played on worse teams than Barry and put up amazing stats. That is off the top of my head.

What made Barry special was his agility was the best we have ever seen at the RB position, and he had tree trunks for legs.

As for RG3, the closest Ive ever seen out of the QB position was Randall Cunningham in terms of this athleticism and arm strength. But Robert is a more accurate passer than Randall was. Steve Young could be considered too, but he didnt have the arm strength.

Actually, I think Aaron Rodgers is up there too altho not anywhere as fast.

Repeating what I've been saying since the first time he took the field.

Dudes the single most exciting, naturally gifted athlete I've ever had the privilege to watch in 30 years of following this team.

And having grown up through the glory years, watching some all time league greats, let alone Redskins greats in the B&G, that's quite the accolade a mere 10 games in.

Hail.

Interesting article, but like much of what was said about RG3 before he was drafted, we shouldn't compare him to only the previous BLACK qbs to play the game. He reminds me of a faster version of Steve Young. I mean, that's really what I was thinking when he ran did that double spin move for the 2 yard gain, and the tiptoe down the sideline for the 10 yard run. That was so Steve Young-esh. The second guy that he reminds me of is Aaron Rogers. I like those two comparisons much more than a Vick/Cunningham/McNabb/etc comparison.

I mean Aaron Rogers throws a beautiful and accurate deep ball. Steve Young led the league in QB rating year after year. Like Young, an young RG3 is running a lot more than many would like, but he has the fundamentals to be a straight dropback passer as well. I'll still agree that RG3's speed is what still separates him from even these two, but lets not act like the only people he compares favorably to are the previous Black QBs.

What was the common thread for the QBs mentioned? Ironically I think the best comparison I've seen is Steve Young. But the writer of that article would never see it because his prime feature for camparison seems to be based on race. Really disappointing in this day and age.

What was the common thread for the QBs mentioned? Ironically I think the best comparison I've seen is Steve Young. But the writer of that article would never see it because his prime feature for camparison seems to be based on race. Really disappointing in this day and age.

You took the words out of my mouth. Steve Young is the closest comparison I have seen to RG3. When is race finally going to be a non issue in the NFL and our country for that matter?

Archived