Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan teams after bye weeks

SkinsGuru

Did a quick study of how Coach Shanahan's teams have performed after bye weeks. Though he's 10-6 in games immediately after a bye week, he's lost his last three such games. The last time he won a game coming off a bye was in 2007 (meaning he was 10-3 after the bye until 2008). He's 75-61 the rest of the season following bye weeks. That's a .551 win percentage, compared to his .561 overall career win percentage in regular season games.

The stats would suggest his teams generally perform the same before and after the bye. However, he's faired better in the one game immediately coming off the bye (.625), despite the 3 game losing streak in those situations. On the down side, in his last three seasons as a Head Coach (1 in Denver, 2 in Washington) he's not only 0-3 immediately following the bye, but a putrid 8-21 overall the rest of the season following the bye week.

Let's hope he's due. I personally feel like if we can get a win on Sunday, we're going to go on a bit of a run, including a win at Dallas on Thanksgiving. A loss Sunday and I think this thing spirals out of control...

You may want to check your math. That's a .551 winning percentage.

Christ, it's been a long day. Thanks for catching that. Didn't add the wins and losses together before dividing his wins by the total. Fixed it.

---------- Post added November-16th-2012 at 05:47 AM ----------

What he did with the Broncs doesn't really matter to me. He is 0-2 since he's been here with 2 bad losses to the Iggles. **** needs to change...starting Sunday

I agree. I think the stats do provide some contextual insight though.

What he did with the Broncs doesn't really matter to me. He is 0-2 since he's been here with 2 bad losses to the Iggles. **** needs to change...starting Sunday

Exactly. Losing should not be tolerated by this franchise from this day on. No more moral victories. No more putting up good stats and still losing. It's all about wins and loses.

I think this game is critical. The team looked flat and unprepared against the Panthers in a game they should have at least been competitive in (although I think the Panthers had been underrated given how close many of their losses to good teams had been). Shanahan's had a week with the team to sort things out so I'm looking for some spark on both offense and defense. I do think Andy Reid has out-coached Shanahan in their recent meetings, so the 2 losses after bye weeks are more down to us playing the Eagles both times rather than it just being the first game back. Let's hope it's third time lucky :)

If we don't come up with a new wrinkle, the bye week served nothing more than allow time for guys to heal. Most importantly, Morris. Its imperative Morris be at full health and used extensively. And minimize ft. Brandon "I fumbled no I got it" Banks as our backup RB.

I didn't realize it until the bye week, but Alfred Morris is our teams most important player. Because do not have a backup running back, and Mike Shanahan's clear preference to run run run from designing his OL to the dependency on passing off PA, it's all on his shoulders to make the offense work.

I was really hoping we would find a running back in the bye week to help out when Morris gets tired or sore.

With no run game, we have no pass game, and we have no offense. With no offense, our team is dead in the water since we don't even try to play the aggressive type of defensive game that can help out a floundering offense.

If we don't come up with a new wrinkle, the bye week served nothing more than allow time for guys to heal. Most importantly, Morris. Its imperative Morris be at full health and used extensively. And minimize ft. Brandon "I fumbled no I got it" Banks as our backup RB.

I didn't realize it until the bye week, but Alfred Morris is our teams most important player. Because do not have a backup running back, and Mike Shanahan's clear preference to run run run from designing his OL to the dependency on passing off PA, it's all on his shoulders to make the offense work.

I was really hoping we would find a running back in the bye week to help out when Morris gets tired or sore.

With no run game, we have no pass game, and we have no offense. With no offense, our team is dead in the water since we don't even try to play the aggressive type of defensive game that can help out a floundering offense.

Keiland Williams was signed the week of the Carolina game. I think he'll be able to come in and spell Morris better because unlike Royster, he's a better pass catcher.

---------- Post added November-16th-2012 at 09:01 AM ----------

I was thinking driving in this morning. What I really want from the team is to be able to go into a Sunday, knowing we have a chance to win. I know I've preached that we shouldn't look to the past, but I need to use the 80s as an example for my post. Back in Gibbs I, no matter the opponent, no matter who was injured and no matter where we played, you always had a feeling we could beat any other team in the league. Even the Giants and Niners, who were two of the tougher teams in the league to beat.

Never once did I go into a Sunday thinking, we don't have a chance or having to dread playing someone. And you know what? The thing was, it didn't matter about the win or the loss. You knew, no matter what, that the team would always give 100%. You knew you weren't going to see sloppy football. There were no bonehead plays, no stupid penalties at the wrong time and no laying down. Even in a loss, you were satisfied with the play on the field. Because you knew, the very next week, they'd lay the wood to the next team. You knew they weren't satisfied with their play.

Even losing, you could hold your head up high as a fan and not be embarrassed about your team. You never got down on them, even with a loss. I would love to get that feeling back. I think alot of us wanted that feeling this year, even if we only went 8-8. Alot of us were thinking that even if we lose, this team is going to give a total effort. But it looks like nothing has changed and that is what is the problem. Jeez, I'm really tired of typing negative posts in here. I've been a member for 7 years here and I cannot remember a time where I could come in here and sing the praises of our team while shutting up the fans of other teams that come in here every day.

I want that feeling again. I'm just not sure when it will be. I'm tired of the losing. I don't know how many times I've typed that in the last few years. I'm tired of the losing. If I wanted to watch a bunch of losers, I'd get the NBA package on satellite and watch the Wheezers (Wizards).

I want that feeling again. I'm just not sure when it will be. I'm tired of the losing. I don't know how many times I've typed that in the last few years. I'm tired of the losing. If I wanted to watch a bunch of losers, I'd get the NBA package on satellite and watch the Wheezers (Wizards).

I think it will come ...I've been real down on Shanny and our team, but I think sooner, rather then later we will see a more competitive team, and my only reason is because of RG3.

I think our offense will fall into place first and I think we'll get back on track from this two game offensive slide and by year's end we'll be scoring points.

Once that is up to par, I think even with a defense that is lacking, our steady improvement on offense will help bail out our D, weird saying that. Then that unit will catch up and we'll see an 8-8 team next year. Then, we'll be on the plus side of wins by 2014.

I think it is much harder to field a competent Off than it is a Def. And we got that piece coming, and when it does, The Shanahans will be right in their wheel house.

I think it will come ...I've been real down on Shanny and our team, but I think sooner, rather then later we will see a more competitive team, and my only reason is because of RG3.

I think our offense will fall into place first and I think we'll get back on track from this two game offensive slide and by year's end we'll be scoring points.

Once that is up to par, I think even with a defense that is lacking, our steady improvement on offense will help bail out our D, weird saying that. Then that unit will catch up and we'll see an 8-8 team next year. Then, we'll be on the plus side of wins by 2014.

I think it is much harder to field a competent Off than it is a Def. And we got that piece coming, and when it does, The Shanahans will be right in their wheel house.

I'm totally with you on this.

I know it's difficult to be patient when we've had 20 years of suck. But Gibbs II delivered us two playoff appearances in 4 years. Let's give Shanny five years of rebuild and see what he can do,

No argument from me. Just because a coach does well with one team doesn't mean he'll do it with another. Nows the time for Mikey to make something happen and break these bad streaks.

Did a quick study of how Coach Shanahan's teams have performed after bye weeks. Though he's 10-6 in games immediately after a bye week, he's lost his last three such games. The last time he won a game coming off a bye was in 2007 (meaning he was 10-3 after the bye until 2008). He's 75-61 the rest of the season following bye weeks. That's a .551 win percentage, compared to his .561 overall career win percentage in regular season games.

The stats would suggest his teams generally perform the same before and after the bye. However, he's faired better in the one game immediately coming off the bye (.625), despite the 3 game losing streak in those situations. On the down side, in his last three seasons as a Head Coach (1 in Denver, 2 in Washington) he's not only 0-3 immediately following the bye, but a putrid 8-21 overall the rest of the season following the bye week.

Let's hope he's due. I personally feel like if we can get a win on Sunday, we're going to go on a bit of a run, including a win at Dallas on Thanksgiving. A loss Sunday and I think this thing spirals out of control...

Really should have had our buy next week, same as Cowboys. As it stands now we will have only 4 days rest before Thanksgiving, while Cowboys will have 10.

Yeah, the Skins have been down this exact road before and I really don't care that they're facing a rookie QB because the Skins have really fared TERRIBLY against them in their 1st start. Reid will likely go deep with Jackson on their first offensive like he did 3 years and that will probably set the tone for the whole day. Hopefully, they're prepared, although I wouldn't bet on it.

Archived