Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Roberts of Wing Commander, Privateer Fame Announces Star Citizen. (6.22 Mil raised!)

Zazzaro703

http://starcitizen.robertsspaceindustries.com/

* EDIT ADDED 7/18/13 My RSI Constellation with lifetime insurance ($250 pledge). My own personal Millenium falcon, crewed by 4 people. Shows the ship in detail and how it works. Amazing! Ever since Star Wars I like many I'm sure always wanted a millenium falcon and this is as close as it gets in 2013. Crowd funding from regular joes like myself has gone over 14 million.

The Pitch Video

"Ask not what your genre can do for you, but what you can do for your favorite genre.Let's put high-end PC gaming and Space Sims back on the map!

Star Citizen brings the visceral action of piloting interstellar craft through combat and exploration to a new generation of gamers at a level of fidelity never before seen. At its core Star Citizen is a destination, not a one-off story. It's a complete universe where any number of adventures can take place, allowing players to decide their own game experience. Pick up jobs as a smuggler, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, or enlist as a pilot, protecting the borders from outside threats. I've always wanted to create one cohesive universe that encompasses everything that made Wing Commander and Privateer / Freelancer special. A huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore allowing players to explore or play in whatever capacity they wish."

Wow. And Wow again. If anyone was gaming in the early 90s on PC, Wing Commander and Privateer were awesome series. Well Chris Roberts is back to save PC gaming and Space Sims. This will be an open world space combat/exploration game like privateer, but has a game within the game within the military sector called squadron 42 that plays like a wing commander game and is a full campaign size, not a mini game. And it's on the Cry3 engine. I put down an immediate 60 bucks, what say you? This is what Bioware hoped The Old Republic would be and they failed miserably. Roberts will deliver. 100 detailed ship parts that factor into flying. Can't wait.

Trust me, to the younger crowd that didn't play these games..... this is an automatic buy. You don't have to pre-buy, but keep it on your radar. I will bump this thread in 2014 when it's game of the Decade. I will have a tricked out PC by then to run this. It's gonna push the envelope with graphics which is one of the main reasons it wont be on consoles. Robert's is a hardcore PC gaming fanatic too, such an awesome development.

It is one of the most ambitious projects I've seen announced in the gaming world. But if anyone could pull it off, it's Chris Roberts. Happy he is raising the money directly on his website, don't need any publishers rushing development and gimping the game. He is trying to raise 2 million. He will get it and much more.

---------- Post added October-11th-2012 at 04:45 PM ----------

This had better not be dumbed down.

It wont, one of the main reasons he isn't doing a kickstarter or getting a publisher is so he won't be interfered with. The funding is directly to him at that website. He is to be trusted to, it's not a scam or any BS like that. Also not putting it on consoles so it can be state of the art. Believe me, it won't be gimped, the biggest problem will be to play it on max settings you will need a top of the line PC with SLI.

Edit: "Ask not what your genre can do for you, but what you can do for your favorite genre.Let's put high-end PC gaming and Space Sims back on the map!

Star Citizen brings the visceral action of piloting interstellar craft through combat and exploration to a new generation of gamers at a level of fidelity never before seen. At its core Star Citizen is a destination, not a one-off story. It's a complete universe where any number of adventures can take place, allowing players to decide their own game experience. Pick up jobs as a smuggler, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, or enlist as a pilot, protecting the borders from outside threats. I've always wanted to create one cohesive universe that encompasses everything that made Wing Commander and Privateer / Freelancer special. A huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore allowing players to explore or play in whatever capacity they wish."

ZERO chance this game gets gimped.

Oh man, I remember when I was playing wing commander. I remember when Wing Commander II came out with the voice pack, I couldn't help but smile the first time I heard it talk. "I will speak with Prince Thrakath alone, Guards you are dismissed." I still remember that line! I am stoked about this.

This is a must buy! I wonder if I can get privateer to work with DosBox...hmmm

Oh man, I remember when I was playing wing commander. I remember when Wing Commander II came out with the voice pack, I couldn't help but smile the first time I heard it talk. "I will speak with Prince Thrakath alone, Guards you are dismissed." I still remember that line! I am stoked about this.

This is a must buy! I wonder if I can get privateer to work with DosBox...hmmm

You def can. Purchase it at Gog.com (good old games has all the WCs too and tons of other old treasures) and they set everything up for you and I believe it has a patch. Also if anyone missed it, alpha access will be late next year which people that pre order will have access to.

You def can. Purchase it at Gog.com (good old games has all the WCs too and tons of other old treasures) and they set everything up for you and I believe it has a patch. Also if anyone missed it, alpha access will be late next year which people that pre order will have access to.

I am probably going to drop about $250 on this. I haven't been this excited about a game in a long time.

I am probably going to drop about $250 on this. I haven't been this excited about a game in a long time.

http://kotaku.com/5950453/you-loved-wing-commander-now-meet-the-shiny-successor-that-will-bring-space-sims-into-the-21st-century

Me either. Here's another article on the ambitions of this game. Apparently there are big one investors lined up to fund this project, but they want to make sure the interest is there. So they are asking for 2 million which I'm sure they will hit with ease. I've never been more excited for a game in my life and hope you can keep adding to your pre-order because by next holiday I'll have gotten up to 250. The trailer on the website is absolutely stunning and it's in game renders. By Xmas 2014 I'll need an Alienware or something comparable. It's not even an option to play this game on anything less than max settings.

For people who are afraid it will be pay by month since its MMO... It won't be. 60 dollar retail purchase and that's it.

man. fantastic. privateer totally killed it back in the day. can't wait to see where this goes.

Privateer 1 and 2 are STILL the standard in which I hold space sims.. I'm so looking forward to this game.. and is that a Kilrathi space ship I see in the trailer?!

It has already raised 600,000+ and the website was down a few days because the response at first crashed the site. Looking good to hit funding easy. Another awesome thing about this game is the community is an older crowd on the forums being that it's PC only and aiming for top end PCs. Some 40+ first time forum users lol. It's a welcome change to the mostly juvenile game forums that are plagued by entitled children these days. I'm so happy to be in on the ground floor and I encourage people to do the same. The $40 package is a steal. I'll be constantly updating this thread and there are 26 days left to see the information and make a decision.

A cool feature they will include is constantly adding galaxies, but they won't announce it. It will be the players that discover the coordinates and jump to these undiscovered galaxies. That galaxy is then named by the player that discovered it for the rest of the games lifetime. This game will be epic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So the Star Citizen crowd funding has 2 days left and they have raised 4+ million already, double what they wanted. There are other investors putting in money depending on how crowd funding went, so this idea got all the money they needed and much more. Last chance to get in on the ground floor and help us get the amazing stretch goals. If you are a gamer you won't be sorry. I pledged 125 so far and plan to go to 250 within the next 6 months, by far the most I've ever invested in a game. Couldn't be happier it went to Chris Roberts. If you don't pledge, keep your eye on this one in about a 12-18 months.

Crowd funding finished at 6.22 million, most ever for a crowd funded game. There's more money than this too as private investors were waiting too see how much interest there was. So happy to be in at the ground floor if you are a gamer you will hear stuff about this game for the next two years

• 7 months later...

My RSI Constellation with lifetime insurance ($250 pledge). My own personal Millenium falcon, crewed by 4 people. Shows the ship in detail and how it works. Amazing! Ever since Star Wars I like many I'm sure always wanted a millenium falcon and this is as close as it gets in 2013. Crowd funding from regular joes like myself has gone over 14 million.

It's nice that someone is making a space sim again... And for PC?! Amazing. I was just thinking the other day that i'd like someone to update Tie Fighter and add a co-op online mode.

Not just someone either... Arguably the best space sim mind in the business.

Archived