Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Graham Gano and the Case of the Bad Weather

Annonymous Source

I have stated in several threads my belief that many of Gano's struggles last year, while not necessarily caused by bad weather, occurred in bad weather environments. The Tampa Bay game sticks out especially in my memory. The purpose of this thread is to essentially chart Gano's results this season as well as the weather conditions that go along with it. Hopefully that will establish some form of result in one way or another.

Everyone else is welcome to chime in and do similar charts by players. The more the merrier after all:cool:

He was spoiled kicking in good weather all the time in college. Hopefully, he learns to adapt and get through it. I think if I were coaching him I'd set up huge fans and have him kick against strong winds coming from various directions. Pelt him with artificial snow and rain and keep a couple footballs in the freezer for him to practice kicking.

I'm not expecting him to make 100% of his field goals this season, but I think his accuracy percentage will be in the 90's. If bad weather is his nemesis, than he and Danny Smith should have and be continuing to work on that constantly. As SwampEm said, he is from a cold, rainy environment. He should be used to kicking in the elements.

Nobody likes Gano more than me, but I say that his struggles had more to do with him than the weather. But like the previous posters, I think he will have a good season. Kudos for the team for not giving up on here, it takes time to develop as a kicker.

Amen to that. I figured we'd get rid of him and it'd be David Akers all over again.

I'm not expecting him to make 100% of his field goals this season, but I think his accuracy percentage will be in the 90's. If bad weather is his nemesis, than he and Danny Smith should have and be continuing to work on that constantly. As SwampEm said, he is from a cold, rainy environment. He should be used to kicking in the elements.

I think 90% is pushing it. Not many kickers can make 90% of there kicks. Plus, I think you have to take in considerations of the hopeful field goals that we might take from say the 40 yard line as time expires in the half. I wouldn't count a kick like that towards his overall performance of the season. I expect him to be in the 80-85% range.

He was spoiled kicking in good weather all the time in college. Hopefully, he learns to adapt and get through it. I think if I were coaching him I'd set up huge fans and have him kick against strong winds coming from various directions. Pelt him with artificial snow and rain and keep a couple footballs in the freezer for him to practice kicking.

And cover him in scorpions.

Preseason is not the regular season, but if any player other than QB is close in the preseason/real season pressure rating, I'd have to give it to kickers and punters. Gano worked on his kicking all year and the results are showing so far. Weather and field conditions obviously are a huge factor for any kicker, but so is the distance he is routinely asked to kick from.

I see a better kicker already this year over last year. I think this will factor in whether the weather is bad or not and I expect to see improvement over last year's numbers. Playing mostly in the SouthEast it's true he didn't have overly harsh winter conditions. But in Florida, he kicked in higher humidity, lower altitude and a good breeze in October and November. He had potential last year. This year, I think we see him as the David Akers that didn't get away.

Archived