Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andrew Luck theory: After the bye, did Shanahan tank the Redskins season on purpose? Was there hidden purpose in the McNabb extension?

Atlanta Skins Fan

Mike Shanahan famously benched McNabb in the closing minutes of the Lions game: a clear demonstration of frustration with his starting QB.

Two weeks later, and with the bye to think about it, the Redskins gave McNabb a huge contract extension in the hours before the Eagles game. On closer examination, the contract apparently gives the team annual opportunities to release McNabb at little cost.

So, what happened over the bye?

We know what has happened *since* the bye: the Redskins went from possible contender to a blundering mess. Eagles blowout was the opening act. A surprising win against the Titans is followed by a loss to the Vikings and a blowout by the Giants. The best defensive player is held back with a mysterious achilles injury. The starting left tackle is held out of the Giants starting lineup, in addition to Haynesworth. Then Haynesworth is suspended, after more friction with Shanahan.

What's going on here? A lot of smart people are starting to call out Shanahan and Bruce Allen for fielding a team whose progress from the Zorn era is hard to measure. I'm not one of them, for a variety of reasons.

One reason is a simple theory. What if Shanahan and Allen are a whole lot smarter than anyone dares imagine? What if Shanahan concluded over the bye that McNabb was simply not going to be "that guy" (i.e., Shanahan's next John Elway), and that the Redskins needed to define a strategy for landing the next franchise QB of the future, as priority #1? What if the target turned out to be Andrew Luck? What then?

If you were coach of the Redskins and you decided over the bye to go after Andrew Luck, the events since that time are relatively consistent with such a strategy. Sure, the Skins did beat the Titans, but the Titans helped that to happen by failing to field a QB in the 4th quarter. The McNabb contract extension and details, the blowouts to the Eagles and the Giants, the handling of injuries, and the handling of Haynesworth ... are all consistent with a plan to draft Andrew Luck.

They won't win the race for the #1 pick in the draft. But, the Redskins might land a top 6 pick. And, when you're trying to trade up to #1, it sure helps to be able to throw Donovan McNabb into your offer for the #1 pick. Especially with that nice contract extension you arranged over the bye.

The way to trade for the #1 pick is to offer a good QB with a good contract to the team holding the #1 pick, as part of the package. That's real value. Now think about that contract again. A curious contract by its timing, or an incredibly savvy play, looking months ahead to the draft?

Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen, you've got my vote of confidence. Especially if I'm right.

Is Luck even that good? I didn't see many Stanford games, and he's only 27 in YPG.

Let me put it this way here ACW Luck has the chance to be a Peyton Manning type QB in this league he's that good. Don't let the YPG fool you he runs a true pro style offense at Stanford and the leaps he's taken from his freshman year to now are astronomical and he's showing things you don't see in a RS Soph. Great poise, escapeability, Arm strength, Accuracy and leadership.

No one is going to trade for Donovan McNabb to be their franchise quarterback. Anyone picking as early as Carolina, Buffalo, etc. are a lot more away than a quarterback, especially one who's going to be on the wrong side of 35 soon. If you have a shot at Andrew Luck, you take him. You don't trade him away for Donovan McNabb.

We don't need a QB just yet. We need a new C, a NT, some LBs, some DBs, and a WR or two. Granted we will be able to address some of that in FA (Vincent Jackson or Larry Fitz FTW!!!), but we'll get grabbing some guys who put their hand in the grass in the first or second round, and probably a LB with the other pick.

I thought Locker was the one everyone was drooling over last year.

Pretty stupid to do all that when he could have traded up for Bradford this year.

Because the Rams wanted Bradford and unless we gave up the whole world we weren't going to get him. They wanted Bradford and everyone knew that even though they were posturing like they would be more than happy to move down.

Let me put it this way here ACW Luck has the chance to be a Peyton Manning type QB in this league he's that good. Don't let the YPG fool you he runs a true pro style offense at Stanford and the leaps he's taken from his freshman year to now are astronomical and he's showing things you don't see in a RS Soph. Great poise, escapeability, Arm strength, Accuracy and leadership.

Is it a sure things he's even going to be entering the draft this year?

Is it a sure things he's even going to be entering the draft this year?

It's not a sure thing but it would be stupid IMO if he didn't enter this years draft. He's a sure fire #1 pick in this class but in the 2012 class you have 3 very good QB prospects also with Barkley, Gabbert, and Murray while this year is just Luck and no one else who can come close to comparing

Plus, coming out as a sophomore isn't exactly the best idea for a player.

You never know the intelligence and poise he shows already is that of a senior, he's some thing special and is some thing we might not see for a while at QB. We see very good QB's like Sam Bradford but we don't see great ones like Andrew Luck a lot

Still, Dukes, the fact that he isn't even a definite to come out makes this entire theory a bit odd.

To top it off, if Carolina were going to pick a QB (I'm not sure they will) or Buffalo were to pick a QB (I'm not sure they will), why would they want to trade away a legit top of the line prospect with Luck for a 35 year old veteran? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Still, Dukes, the fact that he isn't even a definite to come out makes this entire theory a bit odd.

To top it off, if Carolina were going to pick a QB (I'm not sure they will) or Buffalo were to pick a QB (I'm not sure they will), why would they want to trade away a legit top of the line prospect with Luck for a 35 year old veteran? It makes no sense whatsoever.

I dont think we'd trade McNabb to either team for the rights to the #1 pick. I see us doing something of trading up for that pick and giving them picks and maybe a player ala what the Jets did with the Browns in 2009 and then shipping McNabb off to Arizona or Minnesota for a pick and then bringing in a guy like Shaun Hill to start for 2011 while Luck learns the offense

No one is going to trade for Donovan McNabb to be their franchise quarterback. Anyone picking as early as Carolina, Buffalo, etc. are a lot more away than a quarterback, especially one who's going to be on the wrong side of 35 soon. If you have a shot at Andrew Luck, you take him. You don't trade him away for Donovan McNabb.

The 49ers should make that move...they automatically win the NFC West for 3 consecutive years

I dont think we'd trade McNabb to either team for the rights to the #1 pick. I see us doing something of trading up for that pick and giving them picks and maybe a player ala what the Jets did with the Browns in 2009 and then shipping McNabb off to Arizona or Minnesota for a pick and then bringing in a guy like Shaun Hill to start for 2011 while Luck learns the offense

Trading up like that is such a bad idea with all of the holes we have, man. We can't afford that.

If we had blown up the roster and went with all young talent, maybe we would have began the rebuilding process this way and perhaps we would have had a higher draft position so that we could be in position to take him.

We can't afford that kind of trade. It'll hamstring the rebuilding process for even longer.

You never know the intelligence and poise he shows already is that of a senior, he's some thing special and is some thing we might not see for a while at QB. We see very good QB's like Sam Bradford but we don't see great ones like Andrew Luck a lot

Touche'. However, you posted that he could be the next Peyton Manning. Even Peyton waited until his senior year to enter the draft. If he's this good after his sophomore year, imagine how good he will be after his senior year.

The 49ers should make that move...they automatically win the NFC West for 3 consecutive years

At a current 4-8, there are six teams ahead of them in the draft. There's one tied and who knows if they win more games. Even if they wanted to make that move, they're in no position to make it with Luck still on the board.

Trading up like that is such a bad idea with all of the holes we have, man. We can't afford that.

If we had blown up the roster and went with all young talent, maybe we would have began the rebuilding process this way and perhaps we would have had a higher draft position so that we could be in position to take him.

We can't afford that kind of trade. It'll hamstring the rebuilding process for even longer.

No I understand that but I look to what you stated in the FA thread you created KDawg(btw that was great stuff :) ). We have a chance here to fix a hell of a lot of needs in this FA class especially on the OL. We aren't going to compete soon and everyone knows that we can make that move IMO to trade up if we go in FA and get 2 guys I'd target heavily. Ryan Kalil and Davin Joseph. We get those guys we have a hell of a better OL and then can afford to move up for Luck. With the D side of the ball the team is better off looking towards the middle to late rounds with a lot of DE prospects being available and the NT prospects being a lot of late round type guys.

I see your point though KDawg and it makes sense but I also see Luck as someone you would be lucky to have on the team no pun intended

Archived