Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Black Head Coaches: Does todays wins help for future candidates in the NFL & college?

88Comrade2000

why should it "help" coaching candidates? No of that should have any relevance of whether they get the job or not IMO

Whether you want to admit it or not; there's still plenty of owners that won't hire a minority. Hence the Rooney rule being forced upon them.

It's even worse at the college level.

They've been talking about how they're best friends, I think Dungy and Lovie Smith are practically gonna kiss at midfield :silly:

It's a good thing, and good for the NFL. The college level really needs African American head coaches, there are practically none.

I know. It will be a great site to see. Hopefully it does set the stage for more qualified African american coach candidates to try and coach in College and the NFL.

It will help about as much as if your last name happened to be Shula Or Landry or Gibbs. Or perhaps you were related as a cousin twice removed to one of the mentioned you wouldnt be hired,if someone is purple with polka dot spots and is good coach they will be hired...

yeah, everything wrong in society has to be pointed towards racism :rolleyes:

:laugh: What? I am not sure where this statement comes from at all. I don’t think it is necessarily flat out racism but clearly there has been a problem until recent years in giving deserving black coaches a chance on the college and NFL level. It is starting to change but there is still an enormous shortage. With time it will change and eventually it won’t be a problem at all I believe. However, to think that it was just a coincidence that black coaches until recent years never made it to major college programs or NFL teams is ignorant of reality.

Well, we finally have 2 head coaches who are black; taking teams to the superbowl. Will this help coaching candidates in the future at the NFL and even college level?

I think that this will definitely help if Mike Tomlin did not have the Steelers job already sewn up, he certainly does now.

:laugh: What? I am not sure where this statement comes from at all. I don’t think it is necessarily flat out racism but clearly there has been a problem until recent years in giving deserving black coaches a chance on the college and NFL level. It is starting to change but there is still an enormous shortage. With time it will change and eventually it won’t be a problem at all I believe. However, to think that it was just a coincidence that black coaches until recent years never made it to major college programs or NFL teams is ignorant of reality.

An enormous shortage? By what statistics? Are you saying there should be a quota? What is the percentage of black coaches in pro sports? Is it somewhere around 14%? Because that is about the percentage of black Americans.

The whole thing shouldn't be an issue. White or black, if you are qualified, you should have a chance to interview for a job. You go to the interviews, do your best, and let your record speak for itself, not the color of your skin.

An enormous shortage? By what statistics? Are you saying there should be a quota? What is the percentage of black coaches in pro sports? Is it somewhere around 14%? Because that is about the percentage of black Americans.

The whole thing shouldn't be an issue. White or black, if you are qualified, you should have a chance to interview for a job. You go to the interviews, do your best, and let your record speak for itself, not the color of your skin.

I agree that race should not play a factor in the interview processes of coaches – the BEST man should always always always get the job. I am questioning if the best man has always been given the job in the past. I believe (my opinion) that for many years, especially in the college system, better people were passed up for lesser candidates and that race was an issue.

When I said that there were not enough black coaches in the NFL I did not mean that there needed to be a certain amount at any given time. What I was saying was that in a league that has a majority of its players as black, and with a majority of coaches being ex-players, it is weird that so few coaches are black.

All just my opinion though – you are welcome to your own. :cheers:

I agree that race should not play a factor in the interview processes of coaches – the BEST man should always always always get the job. I am questioning if the best man has always been given the job in the past. I believe (my opinion) that for many years, especially in the college system, better people were passed up for lesser candidates and that race was an issue.

When I said that there were not enough black coaches in the NFL I did not mean that there needed to be a certain amount at any given time. What I was saying was that in a league that has a majority of its players as black, and with a majority of coaches being ex-players, it is weird that so few coaches are black.

Agree 100%. Wasn't that the whole point of the Rooney Rule, to make sure minority candidates got interviews for head coaching positions? Clearly the NFL thought there was an issue there, and they have worked slowly but steadily to correct it.

Most people I know, did not think of the two coaches as two African American coaches, just two very good to great coaches. This is a good indication that the NFL and society are moving in the right direction. We are not where we should be, but at least we seem to be heading in the right direction. Even with our continued success in racial equality, I think it is important for the media and activists to continue to point out the inequalities that still exist. With success, complacency can take over without the continued message.

I hope that anyone (regardless of race) get's a chance. Problem is there

is so few job openings each year. While watching the games yesterday not

once did I think about the race of the coaches or any other players.

Now I did enjoy that 3 lineman scored touchdowns in the AFC Championship.

My question is why would anyone in their right mind want to be a HC? There is so little job security. In college if you keep the alumni and boosters happy, then you're set.

Anyway...I'm hoping that we have a competitive Super Bowl.

no, this doesn't help, and it's stupid that it's even an issue. coaches are hired based on potential and ability, not color. this "rule" about having to interview black coaches for vacancies is absurd. When are they gonna require interviewing non-foreigners for kicking jobs? it's stupid. color doesn't equal ability in anything.

i don't expect the NBA to ever make a rule that all teams have to draft at least 1 white player.

if all the coaches were black, this would never be an issue, they also wouldn't create a rule to interview whites, it's one-sided as hell.

7 of the 32 head coaches in the NFL last year were black. That is more than 20%, which is higher than the national average of the population. How is this "not enough" Yes the % of black players is greater but I don't think that being a good enough player to earn a roster spot has anything to do with being a good enough coach to become head coach. The situations are apples and oranges.

here is a list of all coaches this year

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/sportsnation/ratings

The lsit contains 31 coaches, for some reason the Miami coach Nick Saban (white) is not on this list,

Archived