Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Republican Senator Calls Out President Bush

Fergasun

This is what the mainstream media won't write about. One of the few Republican Senators willing to embrace conservative values is calling out Bush. In fact, Bush is caught up in a web of lies to the American people.

What the President said on Monday night:

Therefore, I support a temporary worker program that would create a legal path for foreign workers to enter our country in an orderly way, for a limited period of time. This program would match willing foreign workers with willing American employers for jobs Americans are not doing. Every worker who applies for the program would be required to pass criminal background checks. And temporary workers must return to their home country at the conclusion of their stay.

The last sentence is plain as day.

These are remarks from Alabama Jr. Senator Sessions on the Senate floor on Friday. He is the one calling doomsday about 200+ new immigrants... however the actual number is ~ 66 million new immigrants (in addition to the 12 million who will be legalized).

In fact, if you read the bill, you will discover there has been a studied and carefully carried out plan to conceal how many people will come in under the temporary guest worker programs when, in fact, what they mislabel as a temporary program is in fact a permanent worker program that leads on a direct path to citizenship in fairly short order.

He is absolutely correct that the "temporary program" is a "permanent worker" program, because it will allow the workers to apply and permanent resident green cards. If you don't buy this, spend some time reviewing the Senate debate. The new guest workers are actually low-skilled and the current bill gives them more protections and is better than the H1B program for higher skilled workers (I wish DjTj could verify this... but I think he's doing finals or something).

We have an agreement here struck between the Chamber of Commerce and some political activist groups to move this bill through, and they are not concerned sufficiently about the interests of decent American citizens who may not have the highest skills.

That is quite a charge about the current legislation... yet no headlines! Race baiting is by far a better selling story. For the record, I think this plan stinks... we should allow the 12 million a path to citizenship, but to extend that to new guest workers is ridiculous... we don't owe them jack diddly squat.

Food for thought... Monday the Senate is going to debate and vote on 2 more bills... and I expect a vote on the full bill will be complete by Wednesday, at the very worst I expect this bill to pass the Senate by Friday.

This is what the mainstream media won't write about. One of the few Republican Senators willing to embrace conservative values is calling out Bush.

I agree with you that Bush is being duplicitous about immigration, but what's your knock on the mainstream media this time? That it's pro-Bush or doesn't want to admit to cracks in the Republican Party?

Ah, I get it. I've always thought that the conservatives overdid it with this "liberal" media bull when everyone knows the media is primarily driven by ratings and cash and not policy. It's not that the media is "liberal" It is that it is the conservatives favorite whipping boy and that everything they do not like they blame on their favorite scapegoat.

Remember when we used to think reporters were heroic going into warzones without weapons? Remember when we used to honor reporters for attempting to bring to light corruption and risk jail or harm? These days, it's in vogue to beat up the messenger when it's the message we find troublesome.

Ah, I get it. I've always thought that the liberals overdid it with this "Faux News" media bull when everyone knows the media is primarily driven by ratings and cash and not policy. It's not that the Fox is "conservative" It is that it is the liberals favorite whipping boy and that everything they do not like they blame on their favorite scapegoat.

Again: change just a couple of words...

If you want, bear. But in the opening premise the thread originator calls out the liberal press for protecting Bush. I rarely see a thread open with that premise from liberals... The other side tends to complain about events and on occasion give too much credence to events that have been too incompletely reported. In my opinon, that is more about a rush to be first than a rush to judgement. The Media pursues ratings and money more than any specific political agenda. They are wolves or sharks who go into a frenzy if they scent blood.

Remember Dukakis. Remember Kerry's boatmen. Remember Clinton. Political affiliation doesn't stop the attacks.

What's the problem with putting workers that can come here find gainful employment and support themselves on the path to legal status?

Nothing: legally...

edit: Illegally means they end up:

Stealing others Social Security numbers

Driving uninsured and either leaving the scene or not being covered..

Driving without a license and doing 55mph driving everyone crazy :).

Forging documents all over the place...

Working for wages nobody over 18 should have to work for.

Getting into criminal activity they wouldnt have to if legal...

Nothing: legally...

edit: Illegally means they end up:

Stealing others Social Security numbers

Driving uninsured and either leaving the scene or not being covered..

Driving without a license and doing 55mph driving everyone crazy :).

Forging documents all over the place...

Working for wages nobody over 18 should have to work for.

Getting into criminal activity they wouldnt have to if legal...

I hear what you are saying and I agree the current state of things is bad. My comment however was a reaction to this statement...

He is absolutely correct that the "temporary program" is a "permanent worker" program, because it will allow the workers to apply and permanent resident green cards.

I don't see the concern here - nor do I understand this problem with low skilled workers. It seems people have a disconnect with reality in terms of low skilled immigrants. Rush Limbaugh and conservatives in congress are telling people that we only want the best and brightest and we want those as well, but the fact that most of 10 million illegals are working and that businesses have never stopped communicating the need for more unskilled/low skilled immigration tells me that there is a great need. So I don't understand the problem here. If you have a need, fill it. Right? Seems like simple economics to me.

I don't see the concern here - nor do I understand this problem with low skilled workers. It seems people have a disconnect with reality in terms of low skilled immigrants. Rush Limbaugh and conservatives in congress are telling people that we only want the best and brightest and we want those as well, but the fact that most of 10 million illegals are working and that businesses have never stopped communicating the need for more unskilled/low skilled immigration tells me that there is a great need. So I don't understand the problem here. If you have a need, fill it. Right? Seems like simple economics to me.

The problem is that the demand only exists because current immigration laws are not being enforced which is allowing many employers to rely on labor that earns less than mimumum wage. It is not much different than using child labor, slave labor, etc. (if as in many countries around the world it is either legal or the government turns a blind eye to it). Again the point being that in the US employers are not allowed to use illegal labor that will work (even if willingly) for less than they are legally allowed to. The government is allowing this to happen and has for a long time. The result is that businesses get used to (reliant on) cheap defacto legal labor which has created the appearance of this great demand for the labor. Does the demand exist? Yes. Is it legal? No. It is a demand only because we do not enforce the law.

There is an economic opportunity here for both the U.S. and Mexico. The problem is that rather than having control of it, massive immigration is being forced down our throats because we don't control our borders. Immigration (even in large numbers) may be a good thing, but the American people are not being given a chance to have that debate because destitute people are pouring across our borders.

The problem is that the demand only exists because current immigration laws are not being enforced which is allowing many employers to rely on labor that earns less than mimumum wage. It is not much different than using child labor, slave labor, etc. (if as in many countries around the world it is either legal or the government turns a blind eye to it). Again the point being that in the US employers are not allowed to use illegal labor that will work (even if willingly) for less than they are legally allowed to. The government is allowing this to happen and has for a long time. The result is that businesses get used to (reliant on) cheap defacto legal labor which has created the appearance of this great demand for the labor. Does the demand exist? Yes. Is it legal? No. It is a demand only because we do not enforce the law.
It's hard to say who is getting paid what - but I have worked with construction companies and what I heard from them was different. The guys didn't get less the min wage, in part because that would be a bigger violation then just employing illegals. Also businesses are in favor of a worker program - why would they be if they needed less the legal wages?

It's hard to say who is getting paid what - but I have worked with construction companies and what I heard from them was different. The guys didn't get less the min wage, in part because that would be a bigger violation then just employing illegals. Also businesses are in favor of a worker program - why would they be if they needed less the legal wages?

Dead on.

I have never paid anyone less then 10 dollars an hour. On average, painters DEMAND at least 15, friggin painters, and this year some are asking for 17

In my 5 years in home repair I have never heard of anyone asking for or getting less then 10

First off construction is only one industry that illegals work in. Second I am not pointing to specific examples of a certain payscale for illegals. They may get paid above the minimum wage but they are still undocumented which means that with the exception of the worker and the employee, no one knows what they are getting paid.

I also think that even if they are getting paid what is considered a legal wage, they may still be undercutting American citizens with similar skill sets in a manner similar to how most large companies have a general policy of laying off tenured employees in favor of younger professionals that will earn less. Employers are always looking for ways to cut operating costs. What better way then to not pay employee benefits and payroll taxes? Not to mention that when employers hire illegal aliens, they do so having the knowledge that they do not have union protection.

What's the problem with putting workers that can come here find gainful employment and support themselves on the path to legal status?

I'm not concerned with the path to legal status. I'm concerned that it's more of a permanent worker plan than temporary guest worker plan.... even though it is being sold to us as a temporary guest worker plan. These workers will be able to quickly obtain green cards, not even needing a business to petition for them (they will be allowed to self petition).

This isn't a problem if our economy keeps booming, but what happens if the economy tanks, and we've got 20 million unemployed immigrants on our hands. Or, what if the economy tanks, and we've got 20 million more unemployed, but well-qualified Americans on our hands? Do you believe the government is going to ensure companies look for a capable American to do the job before hiring an immigrant? Right now, it's not a problem because most of the illegals have jobs... but how many more immigrants can our economy absorb, 10 million, 20 million, 30 million?

Again... allowing 10 million illegals here to be legalized and permanent... no problem with that. It's the future workers coming here that concerns me.

The point of this thread was to discuss what the media focussed on from last week's debates. Rather than focus on the meat of the Senate discussion... they chose to amplify 5 seconds of Reid calling the language proposal racist. If you were following the debate you know that followed a good day of discussion. The rationale dissent against the bill was muted out in the news-cycle... and everyone focussed on the racism charge.

Also, I'd like to point out that the liberal media protects Bush on issues he is liberal to. They are completely covering up this hypocrisy.

Also, I'd like to point out that the liberal media protects Bush on issues he is liberal to. They are completely covering up this hypocrisy.

Simply stupendous. The Reid racism charge, which I agree with overdone and dramatized by some Republicans who got their widdle feelings hurt, was the sexier part of the story. Sexy part of story equals more ratings, more ratings equals higher revenue. The media is not part of a covert mononlithic conspirasy. Conflict is more exciting. Hard to write a story, even a news story without conflict.

Bullseye.... the liberal media hasn't focused on it because they've got their marching orders and talking points from the liberal left. The left believes the influx of nearly 60 million immigrants (read victims) virtually assures them of elections and control of all branches of govt.

This bill, if passed in it's current form, essentially assures the nation of a society of entitlement and "victims" needing the champions of their cause... the Democrats. Look no further than France.... which is now reeling from unchecked immigration that has created a powerful group of the society that is demanding rights... jobs with job security.... welfare..... shelter.... and a larger role in the govt. :doh:

This is an epic battle... if the conservatives lose this fight.... than the country is lost.

Bullseye.... the liberal media hasn't focused on it because they've got their marching orders and talking points from the liberal left. The left believes the influx of nearly 60 million immigrants (read victims) virtually assures them of elections and control of all branches of govt.

This bill, if passed in it's current form, essentially assures the nation of a society of entitlement and "victims" needing the champions of their cause... the Democrats. Look no further than France.... which is now reeling from unchecked immigration that has created a powerful group of the society that is demanding rights... jobs with job security.... welfare..... shelter.... and a larger role in the govt. :doh:

This is an epic battle... if the conservatives lose this fight.... than the country is lost.

So the media is protecting Bush... because the liberal left is controlling the media and sending them "marching orders" they must obey. Right. And this immigration bill is really just a secret plan (by the Republican President) to secure power for the democrats, expand the role of government, and turn the US into France. Yup.

wow. lol

So the media is protecting Bush... because the liberal left is controlling the media and sending them "marching orders" they must obey. Right. And this immigration bill is really just a secret plan (by the Republican President) to secure power for the democrats, expand the role of government, and turn the US into France. Yup.

wow. lol

Replace "secret plan" with "stupid plan"... and you're just about right.

Replace "secret plan" with "stupid plan"... and you're just about right.
No. If I was crazy enough to believe that ridiculous nonsense, and I’m not, then that plan would be genius. We’re talking super villain level of genius here. Controlling the press, using a republican President to secure power for good, and doing it all with an immigration bill! Who would notice such a nefarious plot unfolding? Who would be able to stop such a masterfully orchestrated betrayal by the GOP’s most powerful member when combined with the massive weight of the entire free (or so the democrats would have us believe) press? Superman that's who. We’d need a flying alien and brightly colored tights to save us.

Luckily this is all just a steaming load of crap. There is no conspiracy to turn the US into France via an immigration bill. Bush isn’t working to secure the democrats eternal power. The Press isn’t under the control of a political party and willingly being a part of a grand conspiracy to expand the role of government so that welfare can be expanded. It’s nonsense. Plain and simple.

I don't think anyone is advocating that, are they? I just meant to say that the immigration plan in itself is stupid, and has the potential to lead to more voters for Democrats... even though in a sense whoever gains citizenship from this has Bush and the Republican Senate to thank... I just don't know if they realize it. The Spanish-speaking media is a whole lot more biased than our media is. I did not advocate a conspiracy theory to regain Democratic power.

I know the racism charge is a sexy story... but we are in 2006. If they wanted to sell papers, the headline should've been "Reid calls Inhofe Racist"... because that's basically what he did on the floor. It's quite funny... Reid comes up and says... "I know James Inhofe, and we've worked together for awhile... and he is not a racist... but his bill is." That's like saying... "You're not a racist, but the words out of your mouth are."

I think the real story should be temporary workers are not temporary at all... or "Senate debates meaning of the word temporary"... it will be interesting to see if some Senators work to get the name of the bill changed.

What's really funny is today I was watching Bush speak in Chicago, and he was talking about medical reform... saying that the House passed a good medical reform bill, but it was blocked by the "trial lawyers in the Senate". Yet, it's probably immigration lawyers in the Senate who are pushing his immigration plan on the House.

Archived