Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: How Many Superbowls for Gibbs to be "Greatest Ever?"

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Here's a question for the 'Skins fans, what would it take for people to consider Joe Gibbs to be the greatest coach ever? Obviously a lot of things would have to be taken in to consideration. Superbowl/non-Superbowl eras (George Halas), the circumstance of his 10 year absence, the legend of Lombardi, Bill Walsh, and Don Shula. But imagine if Gibbs wins not only 1 ring, but 2. If he wins 2 rings, is he the greatest of all time? Is he the automatic shoe-in souly based on the bling he'd be sporting? I dont' want to even touch the 3-ring talk, but if he actually wins 3 in his tenure here...I'd consider him to be the best coach of all time, in any sport. It would be bigger than Red Aurbach's accomplishments, Phil Jackson's, or Dean Smith's.

This sport has less amount of plays than basketball (demanding more gutsy plays and perfect timing than basketball), it is more elaborate and scientific, and unlike those 3 coaches, Gibbs can't recruit all the good players or fall in to a booming system. Injuries, keeping everyone (53 players) in good spirits and focused, there is no other sport as demanding as pro football.

If Gibbs gets (a grand total of) 5 rings, I'd consider him to be the greatest coach in NFL history. If he ends up having 6, I may have to consider him the greatest coach in sports history.

Forgive me for my delusions of grandure. This preseason is like crawling through the desert...when is the end?!?!

Dont think you can ever name one best ever coach. There will always be the perfect season, the pats 3 superbowls in 4 years and other accomplishments. I think Gibbs legecy could be his first stint, then comming back to the team that had fallen so far, and bringing them back to a super bowl. So id say one more, but I think Gibbs has already put himself pretty high up there

Just one. Then he'd be legendary(if he already isn't). He'd have won in different eras with a different QB(Walsh,Landry and Noll had the luxury of a franchise QB, Gibbs didn't) and rb.

I agree with one, but voted 2 because that's what it would take to convince most non Skins fans. :cheers:

Just one. Then he'd be legendary(if he already isn't). He'd have won in different eras with a different QB(Walsh,Landry and Noll had the luxury of a franchise QB, Gibbs didn't) and rb.

I agree. You really wouldn't able to argue that a guy can walk away from the game for over 10 years and then come back and win a superbowl, no one would be able to argue what Gibbs can do.

Many like to discount two of his three superbowls because of the strike interruptions, which is how they justify placing others above him with less wins. But if he can rise from the Ashes of an awful NFC east division to and get to a superbowl, that alone will bump him up a few notches. Winning the superbowl would put him pretty much at the top.

I agree. You really wouldn't able to argue that a guy can walk away from the game for over 10 years and then come back and win a superbowl, no one would be able to argue what Gibbs can do.

Many like to discount two of his three superbowls because of the strike interruptions, which is how they justify placing others above him with less wins. But if he can rise from the Ashes of an awful NFC east division to and get to a superbowl, that alone will bump him up a few notches. Winning the superbowl would put him pretty much at the top.

I still find it funny that people still throw up the strike seasons as a means of tainting Gibbs' career. If it was soooo easy to get to the SuperBowl in a strike shortened season, why didn't the 49ers get there that year?? Or better yet, the Cowboys, who actually had players cross the picket line??

Sometimes the excuses other teams' fans come up with is high comedy.

Two more would guarantee it, especially if they are back to back. To win a Super Bowl in three different decades would be unprecedented, not to mention after twelve years of retirement. That would be considered different eras and a totally amazing feat.

Mm, any common sense in that egg, refuze? Maybe I'll add the word "more" before "rings" so the short-bus kids will fully understand.

Hey, I was thinking the same thing when I read the question.

I think you may want to change the question. I does ask, how many, not how many more.

He doesn't need to win any to be CONSIDERED among the top(including Walsh, Lombardi, etc)

I think if he wins ONE more he should be considered top 2(take your pick of who else to be there--I'd still Lombardi for lots of reasons) without ANY question. Win 2 more and he should be elevated to the very top, again, WITHOUT dispute.

He doesn't need to win any to be CONSIDERED among the top(including Walsh, Lombardi, etc)

I think if he wins ONE more he should be considered top 2(take your pick of who else to be there--I'd still Lombardi for lots of reasons) without ANY question. Win 2 more and he should be elevated to the very top, again, WITHOUT dispute.

What he said.

He is already one of the greatest. I think one more, and he is virtually without peer. Two definately seals the deal. :fingersx:

You are right. 1 more and he is better than Noll, Walsh, and whoever else they want to throw out there.

Parcells hasn't won anything after he retired the first time and this is his 3RD team since then and still nothing but big respect from the "experts" every year.

Gibbs has still won a SB more recently than Parcells and he has 1 more ring and a much better career regular season and playoff winning %.

And we all saw what happened when one of his Coordinators became a head coach. Parcells old Def Cooridinator now has more rings than Parcells.

Archived