Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Clayton's Mideseason All-Pro team (Landry included)

SkinsTribeVA

"Landry has become a tackling machine in the Redskins' new 3-4 defense. He's everywhere."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/31246/claytons-midseason-all-pro-team

I think he deserves it--I don't know of another SS this season who's been flying around the field and making plays like Landry has. He'll need quite a few more game-changing plays to challenge Clay Matthews for DPOY though.

Interesting that the two safeties getting All-Pro looks play almost identical roles in nearly identical systems...

Situation has as much to do with the perception of success as talent.

I don't like his ILB choices. I'd choose Jerrod Mayo and Lawrence Timmons ahead of Willis and Lewis, who I feel Clayton chose based on accomplishments from seasons past. Mayo's and Timmons' numbers are better in every way and their team's defenses are playing better.

I also thought his reasoning for his OL picks was a little canned. I like the Carl Nicks pick and think it's defendable, but it feels to me like he gave David Stewart and Nick Mangold their positions by default. Just do two OT picks instead of trying to hunt down a RT and give it to the two best LTs. Jake Long makes sense at LT because he's a great player, but using the problematic sacks allowed is not a good justification for picking him. Talk about his actual play. The sacks allowed stat is so situational and you're talking about the difference of one or two plays to make your decision which is foolish (I think Thomas has only allowed two).

I wish the league gave blocking grades (out of 100 points) to players and tracked knockdowns like college football does. Then you could simply find the guy with the highest average grade with knockdown blocks used as a tie breaker to determine who the best OL are without watching film.

That cheater put 2 strong safeties on his team :pfft:

Although, I am kinda having a hard time coming up with a free safety who's having a definite "All-Pro" season so far.

Jus throw Ed Reed in there. He's the best safety in the league by a fairly large margin.

Reed is the obvious choice at free safety. He's been back for TWO games and already has three interceptions and a forced fumble. One of the best ball hawks to ever play the game. He's also got 64 return yards to go with his three picks.

Yeah, that's pretty incredible.

And I wouldn't doubt that its partially because teams were testing him, not thinking he was fully healed. And they paid for it, if that's the case.

I saw a stat that showed he had one of the worst completion against percentages in the league. I believe it was Peter King who wrote about it in MMQB.

Yeah, he gets thrown at A LOT. But that's why he can make those plays when he jumps a route. The downside is that passes are getting completed in front of him pretty often.

Its good for my fantasy team, LOTS of tackles for a DB, but not great in general.

Archived