Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My gut feeling tells me the Zorn era is similiar to the Spurrier era

88Comrade2000

I believe this current era resembles the Spurrier era. No, Jim Zorn isn't Steve Spurrier but they are some similarties in what happened then to what's happening now.

Dan Snyder wanted control. He wanted to be the man. So out goes Marty. He hires a big name college coach Steve Spurrier. Spurrier was only interested in the offense. Dan hired the DC- Marvin Lewis from Baltimore. Dan brought Vinny back but in reality Dan was the GM. Spurrier got to get some of his guys but Dan was running the draft. Dan got to play.

Well that turned out to be a bust. Spurrier wasn't cut out to be a NFL coach. He didn't really care about all the details necessary to be successful in the NFL. Spurrier should've insisted that Dan have a quality GM.

The franchise was out a low point in early 2004 and then Dan surprises us all and brings Joe Gibbs back. Joe wasn't that successful but he did turn around the morass he inherited and did get us 2 playoff wins. Dan respected Joe and was willing to cede to Joe.

Joe retires and now what does Dan do? He goes back to what he had before Gibbs. Dan is the ultimate decider. Vinny is the GM but does anyone think he could override Dan? We got a head coach that never should've been given the job. I don't know who Dan was hoping to get last year? Bill Cowher? Even though I wasn't for it, Greg Williams was the natural successor. I remained convinced Zorn was nothing more than a stop gap hire. He was hired because the person Dan wanted wasn't ready to coach again.

Now, we are reaching a point already early in the season where it's clear the head coach isn't cut out for the job. We will know shortly whether he has completely lost the team, unless he gets fired tommorrow.

The franchise is reaching the same lowpoint that we had in early 2004. We aren't there yet but we are getting there.

The hope is that maybe Dan finally learns the lesson. He brings quality people in here to run the show. Those hoping for a GM to be hired and then a coach, forget it. That will not happen, especially when the most likely candidates Dan will consider will either want full control or be able to bring their own personnel guy.

The next Skins coach will be a veteran. The only rookie that will be considered I think would be Russ Grimm, given his previous career with us.

Odds are other than one minority, the next coach will be among Shanahan,Parcells,Holmgren,Gruden and Cowher- though I think Cowher is going to Carolina.

So I my gut tells me this era is deja vu. It reminds me so much of what happened under the Spurrier era and what lead to Joe Gibbs- VET coach. If Joe didn't come back; I think Fassell or Green would've gotten the job.

Dan learned one leason, he didn't let Zorn come in here and build a new team. This is basically the team that Gibbs built us. Zorn didn't come in and hire a new coaching staff either, the defensive side is virtually the same except we lost Gregg.

Spurrier on the other hand built a completely new team and buried our franchise into a hole.

Ealy on when we held the Lions to a 4th and 3 and they were going to kick a FG, BUT Zorn accepted the penalty to make it 3rd and 13, those are the decisions he's making that's killing this team. Boy wouldnt it of been nice at the end being only down 16-14? OR... first drive, I know everyone is pressuring him to put it in the end zone, but for Gods sake, TAKE THE POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GIVE UP

Well, people have been wanting a quality GM since Dan started.

The thing is, that will not happen under Dan. Our next coach most likely will be a veteran coach among these people: Parcells,Gruden,Shanahan,Cowher and Holmgren. All those of coaches will either want full control or be able to bring in their own personnel guy.

So when we got hunting next offseason; will be hunting for a new coach and then the coach will bring in whomever he feels will be good for personnel if it isn't himself.

This whole thing has been a broken record for the past 7 or 8 years. I hear the same calls on the radio:

"Man, if we could just score points we could win games!"

"Coach ______, needs to be fired man. We need to get someone in here who knows what they're doing."

"Our quarterback _______ is terrible. If we had a good QB we'd be elite."

"The offensive line is terrible and you can't win games with a terrible offensive line."

"We've been IN every game! We only lose by a point or two so if you take our close losses into account we're actually pretty good."

I am so unbelievably SICK AND TIRED of it all. I've heard these stories a million times before and I'm done getting upset and letting it ruin my week. I have much more important things to spend my time and energy on, and knowing this team like the back of my hand why I even choose the Redskins as a viable option to spend my time and energy on is something I've yet to figure out. Let someone else snatch up that stadium seat, those parking passes and the $80 hot dogs. Let someone else break their remote controls week after week over a team that plays down to the level of some of the worst teams ever seen in this league. Let someone else call radio stations and discuss how we go about fixing it and what the problems are. Dude....let someone else care.

I'm a Redskin fan. I'll never be a fan of any other team. But right now, frankly, I'm done giving a ****.

Dan learned one leason, he didn't let Zorn come in here and build a new team. This is basically the team that Gibbs built us. Zorn didn't come in and hire a new coaching staff either, the defensive side is virtually the same except we lost Gregg.

Spurrier on the other hand built a completely new team and buried our franchise into a hole.

Yeah and what difference do you see in the team from Gibbs to Zorn?? There isn't any fight. When they get behind or start to lose they give up. It's as if they know their coach isn't good enough to play call them out of it.

At least with Gibbs, they fought till the end even if they lost. Today was really sad, I think this is the first time I watched my team give up at half time.

You could tell from their body language and posture that they knew they weren't gonna win this game so why try. That wouldn't have happened with Gibbs.

I think it starts with JC. He's got talent but that doesn't mean squat if he won't perform. He's scared of making a mistake. You can tell by how he plays.

He won't take that chance to make a play.

Thus Zorn won't call plays to put him in those situations. Thus Zorn hamstrings the Offense.

I think Moss walking off the field in the critical drive to win the game speaks volumes about this team. He's probably your #1 reciever and he's not getting the ball. You can't tell me that every team we have played so far is covering him so well that he isn't open enough to catch a ball.

Him walking off tells me that he is fed up with JC. It's like throw me the dam ball, take a chance and he won't.

I think we have a good team, they just need a coach with direction who isn't so wishy washy. Zorn seems like a nice guy. Norv turner was a nice guy too and look where that got us.

We need a John Gruden or a tony Dungy to lead this team.

This whole thing has been a broken record for the past 7 or 8 years. I hear the same calls on the radio:

"Man' date=' if we could just score points we could win games!"

"Coach ______, needs to be fired man. We need to get someone in here who knows what they're doing."

"Our quarterback _______ is terrible. If we had a good QB we'd be elite."

"The offensive line is terrible and you can't win games with a terrible offensive line."

"We've been IN every game! We only lose by a point or two so if you take our close losses into account we're actually pretty good."

I am so unbelievably SICK AND TIRED of it all. I've heard these stories a million times before and I'm done getting upset and letting it ruin my week. I have much more important things to spend my time and energy on, and knowing this team like the back of my hand why I even choose the Redskins as a viable option to spend my time and energy on is something I've yet to figure out. Let someone else snatch up that stadium seat, those parking passes and the $80 hot dogs. Let someone else break their remote controls week after week over a team that plays down to the level of some of the worst teams ever seen in this league. Let someone else call radio stations and discuss how we go about fixing it and what the problems are. Dude....let someone else care.

I'm a Redskin fan. I'll never be a fan of any other team. But right now, frankly, I'm done giving a ****.[/quote']

Nicely said. I was lucky enough to learn that the key to being a Redskins fan is - low expectations. Man, it is SO much easier!

Archived